Astrotec AX30, AX35 Hybrid IEMs Discussion Thread
Mar 11, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #32 of 196
Just got mines in and I have some quick impressions before I give a more thorough review:

Clear and Crisp sound
Treble is snappy and quick.
Mids are a bit back (hard to get use to since I'm use to the IM50s)
Sound can get smeary in the highs if you listen at high volumes
Not as efficient as the IM50s
Bass is sufficient and never gets in the way (subdued to my ears)
Needs an absolutely good seal to get the most out out of it.
Feels like a side grade to IM50s

Nice to have more infos on this earphone!

Seems pretty consistent with what I read so far about the AX35. Especially the part where the mids is less forward.

PS: What does side grade means?

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #34 of 196

Nice to have more infos on this earphone!

I agree, I don't think enough people has tried the AX-35's (or at least not comment on them). I use them with the small Sony hybrid tips and really like them. They're not exactly bass cannons but I still feel the have enough and I like a little hump in the lows. The clarity is very nice for the price.

Sidegrade means that one is not better than the other, they're just different.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #35 of 196
Was expecting the typical AT house sound but the bass was so distracting I couldn't tell if the mids were recessed or the bass just covered them uo

May I know what earphone were you using before you tried the IM50? 

The earphones I used before I auditioned the IM50 has very little bass. So when I tried IM50 for the first time, I found the bass overwhelming.

To have a more accurate listening of the IM50, I made sure not to listen with my earphones on the day I went for a second audition. As a result, the second audition went much better as the bass sounds more balanced with the other frequencies.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #36 of 196
You can check out these threads for more opinions on the IM50:

~http://www.head-fi.org/t/705687/review-of-audio-technica-ath-im01-ath-im02-ath-im03-ath-im04-ath-im50-ath-im70

~http://www.head-fi.org/t/698932/audio-technica-im50-im70-appreciation-and-discussion-thread

~http://www.head-fi.org/t/685321/audio-technicas-new-multidriver-iems-the-ath-im-series

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #37 of 196
May I know what earphone were you using before you tried the IM50? 

The earphones I used before I auditioned the IM50 has very little bass. So when I tried IM50 for the first time, I found the bass overwhelming.

To have a more accurate listening of the IM50, I made sure not to listen with my earphones on the day I went for a second audition. As a result, the second audition went much better as the bass sounds more balanced with the other frequencies.

It's more of an inherent quality of the iems than getting used to the sound.

Really digging the ax30 and 35 though.

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #38 of 196
I'm starting to think I prefer a thicker, lusher, more musical sound compared to a clear, crisp, and sterile sound. These don't sound as coherent as the IM50s in my opinion. That probably has a lot to do with the genres I prefer which is rap, r&b, pop, jazz, and alternative.

I have the same opinion on the AX-30.  They are clear, crisp and detailed, but bass is also not as weighty/deep/full sounding.  I prefer more musical IEMs like Zero Audio Carbo Tenore and Philips Fidelio S2.  Will give AX-30 a few more listens before deciding whether to sell them or not.

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #40 of 196
You guys that's missing some bass should try with triple flange tips. I just did and it gives me even more bass than the Sony hybrids. They're still not exactly basshead material but I like a more than neutral bass and I enjoy them.

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #41 of 196
You guys that's missing some bass should try with triple flange tips. I just did and it gives me even more bass than the Sony hybrids. They're still not exactly basshead material but I like a more than neutral bass and I enjoy them.

I have a pair of AX-35s and found the Radio Shack Auvio tips to give me the best bass boost and comfort of the tips that I have tried (Sony hybrids, stock, and Teac ZE-1000).  YMMV.  Cheers!

Mar 17, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #45 of 196
  If AX35 is more of a neutral type, is AX30 supposed to be the fun sounding version?

Compared to the AX35, maybe, but I didn't find the AX30 fun either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back