Astronomy-Fi
Jun 14, 2008 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Steve The Egg

100+ Head-Fier
I did a search and it came up blank. I couldn't believe there wasn't an astronomy gear thread here. This is the place to post your telescopes, lenses, binoculars, observing environments, observatories
rolleyes.gif
, etc.

I currently am using a Celestron 6" dobsonian. I've got a rather pathetic Celestron 25mm plossl and a 2.5x Televue Powermate
biggrin.gif
. Oh and a Celestron UHC/LPR filter. I've also got a pair of Zhummell 80x20 binoculars that I use for the trip or evening when I just don't feel like hauling my huge dobsonian out.

Feel free to post any astronomy pictures here or share your recent views!

Jun 18, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 13
Wish I had a telescope, to join in on this thread. I just use binos to look at moon, satellites etc. It's one of those hobbies I'd love to get into but probably never will, despite an abiding interest. Archery, which I used to do years back, is another one...I may buy another bow tho
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 13
I have a Meade 6" f/10 Newtonian on an equatorial mount. Unfortunately, I live in the inner suburbs of DC with a lot of light pollution and large trees so I rarely use it.

Edit: Steve, I imaging London is even worse. If you have good binoculars, try those before using them before buying a telescope. When I was growing up, I didn't own a telescope and used binoculars quite a bit. They're especially good if they have a tripod mount.

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Meade 6" f/10 Newtonian on an equatorial mount. Unfortunately, I live in the inner suburbs of DC with a lot of light pollution and large trees so I rarely use it.

Edit: Steve, I imaging London is even worse. If you have good binoculars, try those before using them before buying a telescope. When I was growing up, I didn't own a telescope and used binoculars quite a bit. They're especially good if they have a tripod mount.

Indeed, it is always a good idea to get binoculars before making the jump into a full sized telescope. And yes, a tripod is a must with binoculars. I just had a shaky look at Jupiter with mine. I was too lazy to set up the telescope :/

Here's a very good beginner gaze tonight:

Your Sky

Jupiter is very close to the moon. It's the bright "star" next to the moon. By the way, I'm in the northern hemisphere. I'm very jealous of anyone located in the southern hemisphere. One day I'll take a trip down south. Oh, and I've always wanted to see the Coriolis effect there. I swear the first thing I'll do when/if I go is turn on a sink or flush a toilet. Ughhhh I'm such a nerd
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Anyone close to this year's solar eclipse?

"On Friday, 2008 August 01, a total eclipse of the Sun is visible from within a narrow corridor that traverses half the Earth. The path of the Moon's umbral shadow begins in Canada and extends across northern Greenland, the Arctic, central Russia, Mongolia, and China. A partial eclipse is seen within the much broader path of the Moon's penumbral shadow, which includes northeastern North America, most of Europe and Asia."

NASA - Total Solar Eclipse of 2008 August 01

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 13
Just had a very nice evening educating the boy in one of the seven pillars of wisdom. Clear night sky, a son to target on and track any celestial object of your choice (cheaper than any equatorial platform), a bottle of wine and a mighty fine view of Jupiter.
P7310023.jpg

P7310010.jpg

P7310025.jpg

quick rig
P7310024.jpg

the big 'un
Polished off with Harry Manx with some more vino on the porch= perfect
wink.gif

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 13
Just picked up a pair of Nikon 10X50 Action Extreme WP binocs with tripod to begin my journey. From all accounts - long range binocs are a good place to begin star gazing - we'll see where this takes me...

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpstereo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just picked up a pair of Nikon 10X50 Action Extreme WP binocs with tripod to begin my journey. From all accounts - long range binocs are a good place to begin star gazing - we'll see where this takes me...

Hooray! You can see a surprising amount of thing with just binocs, and it's definitely the best place to start. I assure you that you won't regret your purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 13
I've been interested in astronomy for a long time. I currently have a Celestron Starhopper 8" dob, with several eyepieces. (My Televue 32mm Plossl is one of my favorite eyepieces. Beautiful widefield views.) I also have a set of Celestron Ultima 10x50 binoculars. I usually take these along when I'm traveling.

I rarely use the telescope anymore, since I live right in the city and unless I want to drive 30-45 minutes, there's not much to see. I'm considering selling the scope and eyepieces and putting the money into more camera gear.

Aug 8, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve The Egg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hooray! You can see a surprising amount of thing with just binocs, and it's definitely the best place to start. I assure you that you won't regret your purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

That's great to hear. I should have them on a few days and I am very much looking forward to my new hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back