Astrodynes
Aug 16, 2010 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

noparanoia

Head-Fier
I have Ultra-Micro stack with standard power bricks.
I am wondering about the Astrodynes. Both their effect and the extent of said effect.
The main thing I am interested in is if they will make the music sound more "powerfull". Not in any particular range (I love the balance of my HD650s already), just overall. I am not talking a violent, knock you socks off kind of power here because that really isnt my taste; just weight and authority to all the notes (I hope I'm making sense).
I also assume that it will increase the clarity of the music to some extent and improve the feeling of space (I have heard this said before)
However I have also heard that it irons out a bass hump inherent in the standard PSUs. I sort of like my bass hump... it sounds pretty natural to me.
Any thoughts on this, from HR and those who own these would be just great :)
If I can address these concerns then I am sold (if I ever have any money again)

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 7
Well, I've felt (when I tried using the DPS with the Desktop) that it made a difference. I've never used the Astrodyne PS so I don't know... but you can always send it back if you don't notice anything!
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the reply Paganini
dt880smile.png
Just out of interest has something happened to this forum recently? It seems completely dead.

Aug 18, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 7
Well, ever since the format change there has been a marked decrease in activity. 

Aug 18, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I have Ultra-Micro stack with standard power bricks.
I am wondering about the Astrodynes. Both their effect and the extent of said effect.
The main thing I am interested in is if they will make the music sound more "powerfull". Not in any particular range (I love the balance of my HD650s already), just overall. I am not talking a violent, knock you socks off kind of power here because that really isnt my taste; just weight and authority to all the notes (I hope I'm making sense).
I also assume that it will increase the clarity of the music to some extent and improve the feeling of space (I have heard this said before)
However I have also heard that it irons out a bass hump inherent in the standard PSUs. I sort of like my bass hump... it sounds pretty natural to me.
Any thoughts on this, from HR and those who own these would be just great :)
If I can address these concerns then I am sold (if I ever have any money again)

Well, I have Astrodynes with my Ultra Micro Stack.  Improvements are modest indeed and I guess this would depend on the cans you're using and how demanding they are of that extra control.  One's mileage will likely vary here.

Aug 19, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 7
Hi noparanoia,

Sorry for the delay.  We are usually more quick to respond to e-mails or phone calls so if you are looking for some quick feedback please reach out to us through those methods.

Everybody has their own preference or personal opinion.  My own is that I would upgrade to the Desktop Power Supply as opposed to the Astrodyne power supplies.  I just don't hear that much of an improvement using the Astrodyne compared to the stock power supply.  The Desktop Power Supply however yields more dynamic or punchy sound with more blackness between the notes.  More simply put, lower noise floor and more slam.

Hope this helps.  I'll be making a more conscious effort to visit and participate in discussions here.  Feel free to fire back with any questions.  I'll check back soon.

Thanks,
Jamey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back