Astro or Turtle Beach MixAmp?
Aug 30, 2011 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Waveboy

New Head-Fier
It seems that the latest and wireless Astro MixAmp 5.8 doesn't support an RCA connection which is what I need for surround sound headphone gaming for the Wii. The older None-wireless Astro mix Amp does in fact support RCA but i can't seem to find that model online for sale. The newer wireless version seems to only support Optical, which would be fine for my PS3, but I don't game on my PS3 that often as it's pretty much my DVD/Bluray/Music player and I'm not sure I really care too much(depending) for headphone surround sound for movies.

Also, AstroMix seems to support Dolby Pro Logic II'X'...Now wouldn't that convert the wii's normal DPLII to 6 or 7 channels? Because that's not the way the audio for the wii was intended to be.

As for Turtle Beach's MixAmp, it too supports RCA but why do i get the feeling it doesn't deliver the same audio performance as the Astro? Anyways, i can get the Turtle Beach online if it's worth considering as an option. Oh, and I plan on using my Sennheiser HD380's(when they arrive) seems like any type of headphone is compatible which is pretty rad. Anyways...help!
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 3
Well, I've got a Sony 7.1 Receiver already hooked up with my Wii & PS3. But what do you mean by getting a small portable amp for the HD380's? I'm a complete noobster when it comes to this stuff so bare with me. lol Like I said, i just want to beable to play Wii games with 5 channel(which the Astro pumps out) surround sound Dolby Pro Logic II via my HD380's.

For now, I'm getting 2 channels and i feel like I'm missing out with the Wii considering it sounds miles better with my actual 5.1 surround system....Just beaing able to hear water fountains shooting(for an awesome example.lol) behind you, or sounds coming from a creature from the backside of your left and yadah yadah, it's like a 3D world of sound right in your living room which 2 channel headphones simply put cant create.

That aside, my HD555's are feeding off of my PS3's(for DVD/Bluray & Music)  HDMI, but that's another story. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back