astro mixamp y adapter, do i need it?
May 1, 2010 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

wadec22

500+ Head-Fier
so i now have the astro mixamp to use with my ad700's and zalman mic. loving the combo on my pc. didn't realize i needed the y adapter to use my headphones/mic with the 360.

i emailed their support, their response; "The Y-Adapter from ASTRO is different from a standard 3.5mm Y-adapter as the end-pin is a 4-pole 3.5mm connection, which will combine the mic's 3.5mm and the headphone's 3.5mm jack. It uses the same pin-layout as the iPhone's (if you wanted to try and make one yourself).

A regular 3.5mm splitter just takes your 3-pole adaptor (ring, tip, sleeve, aka left sound, right sound, and the ground connection) and splits that into two jacks. The 4-pole adds the extra ring for the mic sound."

i don't have a problem paying the 10.00 for the damn cable but their cheapest shipping option is 10.00 ups. (sucks since they could probably usps it to me for 2-3.00) anyway...

is there an alternative to their 20.00 solution? don't know that i am mechanically inclined enough to actually "build" one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Astro Gaming | Professional Gaming Equipment | Y-Adapter

May 1, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 8
I looked online before for a higher quality one before and there isnt one made of any quality that I could find. The 4 pole 3.5 conector is pretty rare. Not many devises can utilize it and then to have it split into 2 stereo jacks.... it just not out there. The funny thing is, I think that is what brought me to headfi in the first place. My first post was asking if there was a better one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back