Astro Mixamp vs Turtle Beach EarForce DSS
Oct 22, 2010 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ouldsmobile

New Head-Fier
Any comments on which to purchase for gaming? and secondly do they really make a noticeable difference? I mostly play FPS but also play some other genres as well. I am currently trying to decide on a decent set of headphones as well. This will be my first foray into gaming with headphones so I am pretty excited to see what I have been missing. I am by no means an audiophile but can tell the difference between crap and decent. I am not not a pro gamer I just play for fun. This would be for PC. 

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 10
For pc I would buy a good soundcard!

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 10
Yea if you only have a PC go with one of those sexy asus cards, they have dolby headphone tech built in and normally have amplfiied headphone outputs better than the astro mixamp.  I find it destroys the X-Fi CMSS by a long shot.

The mixamp is a really really awesome device if you own game consoles, easy to hook up, setup and play.  Besides having a built in mixer for voice/game modulation.

The ear force DSS looks so/so.. has the least amount of information and reviewed quiet poorly.

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 10
I own the DSS and I was saying in another thread that despite any reviews, it is a wonderful product. I have checked some of these bad reviews online but it appears that the reviewer typically was testing it incorrectly or not getting digital signals out of their test PCs. I purchased my DSS based on amazon reviews, and my experience like these reviews is totally positive:

http://www.amazon.com/Force-Channel-Dolby-Surround-Processor-Mac/dp/B003O0KICS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288029958&sr=8-1

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 10
don't forget that to go with dss you need a sound a sound card to process the audio. that means if you play videogames you need EAX processor on the sound card and the soundcard should send a 5.1 signal via optical to DSS. 
For PC DSS is useless if you have a good sound card...

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the responses everyone. It is for the PC, I should have mentioned that in my first post. Sorry. I don't have the option of adding a soundcard unfortunately, no free PCI slot in my PC, hence why I was looking at these external solutions. I picked up a set of Creative Aurvana's(Rebranded Denon's) from a fellow forum member here so I am awaiting their arrival, hopefully they will come in sometime next week if the post office doesn't botch anything up. 

Kevin

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 10
if you have optical out from your current card, the mixamp at 60 USD from the sales forum would be great with your creative 

Quote:
Thanks for the responses everyone. It is for the PC, I should have mentioned that in my first post. Sorry. I don't have the option of adding a soundcard unfortunately, no free PCI slot in my PC, hence why I was looking at these external solutions. I picked up a set of Creative Aurvana's(Rebranded Denon's) from a fellow forum member here so I am awaiting their arrival, hopefully they will come in sometime next week if the post office doesn't botch anything up. 

Kevin

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 10
Thread necro!

I am looking to get a soundcard/DAC that I can use with my gaming laptop. Internal soundcards like the Asus Xonar stuff are definitely out of the question.  The mixamp doesn't seem like a good buy to me, the DSS I do not yet quite understand, so it is not a DAC? Just an amp with Dolby processing? I need something to give me either Dolby Headphone for my laptop or CMSS Headphone is good too. basically I need my directional sound for FPS on my laptop, I'm very critical about this, just using an AD700 out of the laptop's headphone out doesn't cut it for me because I know how it can sound with proper 3D processing on my desktop. 

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #10 of 10
Both of them mainly designed for optical-in to be used on console. I think you need something like the soundblaster x-fi hd usb or xonar u1.

Quote:
Thread necro!

I am looking to get a soundcard/DAC that I can use with my gaming laptop. Internal soundcards like the Asus Xonar stuff are definitely out of the question.  The mixamp doesn't seem like a good buy to me, the DSS I do not yet quite understand, so it is not a DAC? Just an amp with Dolby processing? I need something to give me either Dolby Headphone for my laptop or CMSS Headphone is good too. basically I need my directional sound for FPS on my laptop, I'm very critical about this, just using an AD700 out of the laptop's headphone out doesn't cut it for me because I know how it can sound with proper 3D processing on my desktop. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back