Astro Mixamp - is it a DAC?
Aug 8, 2011 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ilikepooters

500+ Head-Fier
currently using FiiO E7/E9 combo but i'm interested in dolby headphone.

Saw the Astro MixAmp and was wondering if it work's as it's own DAC? so i can replace the E7+E9.

Also how's the sound quality with playing music? anyone got any experience with it?

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 4
I can't tell you if it's a DAC, but I can tell you about sound quality:

I use an ATH-AD700 with the MixAmp, which is connected to the computer through SPDIF. With Dolby Headphone, both music and games are fun to listen to. Notice how I said 'fun.' For games, this is nirvana, as the soundstage is great. However, music through the Dolby Headphone may be fun, but it is not accurate. That is expected because it is a DSP. It's not like it's bad, but Dolby Headphone was never made for hi-fi listeners.

Now, when you turn off Dolby Headphone... it's weird. I can't explain it, but I like plugging my headphones in directly to the computer's line out than use the MixAmp without Dolby Headphone. I don't want to say it, but the MixAmp (without DH) may, MAY destroy the soundstage of music. Someone more experienced may know more about what I'm hearing.

However, this could be psychological: I am always comparing DH to no DH, so the night and day difference may have made my mindset think that the MixAmp is bad without Dolby Headphone. Also, the mentality that the SPDIF is going into hardware that I only know is good for gaming may make me think that something bad is happening to my audio when it comes out the other end to my headphones.

So bottomline:

MixAmp is awesome for games, movies, youtube, anything that doesn't need high quality audio. Music, however... you may want to stick with your FiiO combo.

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 4
I can't tell what DAC chip is used, but due to the simple fact that it takes in digital audio signals and outputs analog ones, the Astro Mixamp is a DAC by definition-albeit one that also has a DSP feature in Dolby Headphone.

Don't expect it to top the sound quality of your E7/E9 combo, though...but do expect it to offer DH where the E7/E9 won't, along with voice chat/other source mixing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back