Astro mix amp + AMP
Aug 10, 2014 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

qbizzle

New Head-Fier
I have just ordered a pair of AKG k612 that i will use for mostly gaming on console, and some music. Now I know i will need a external amp to help drive them to their full potential, but the DAC/amp thing is kind of confusing to me. A DAC converts digital audio to analog, the astro mix amp does that. So should i just get myself an additional amp to help drive the headphones. I've been looking at the fiio e11 or should i buy a DAC/amp combo to use with my astro mix amp. This setup is meant for only stationary use I have some iems that i will use for mobile listening.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 2
  I have just ordered a pair of AKG k612 that i will use for mostly gaming on console, and some music. Now I know i will need a external amp to help drive them to their full potential, but the DAC/amp thing is kind of confusing to me. A DAC converts digital audio to analog, the astro mix amp does that. So should i just get myself an additional amp to help drive the headphones. I've been looking at the Fiio E11 or should i buy a DAC/amp combo to use with my Astro mix amp. This setup is meant for only stationary use I have some iems that i will use for mobile listening.

You can add a DAC to a Astro Mix-amp, adding an amplifier is no problem.
You might consider first trying the 120-Ohm K612 Pro plugged starting into the mix-amp, see if you like it.
The new FiiO E11K amp could easily daisy chain off the Mix-amp and the E11K should provide more juice then the Mix-amp.
The newer E11K can run off USB power (and recharge the battery) while driving headphones :)
The older E11 can only drive headphones from battery power, so headphones will not work while the E11 is hooked to a USB power source :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back