Astro A50 vs. AKG Q701 Gaming Headset Dilemma
Oct 20, 2013 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Mrtaste

New Head-Fier

Need help, im having a dilemma at the moment, and I can't quite decide between the AKG Q701's and the Astro A50's. Im a hardcore gamer who plays games which require the best surround experience. I prefer the functions of the Astro's such as the wireless and the game/chat volume rocker, but am I going to hear a noticable sound quality difference with the AKG's?

(Note, I will be using a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional with either headset).

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 3
I used the A50's for a few months about a year ago on an xbox.  I'm just a casual gamer, FPS mostly.  I thought the A50 setup worked pretty well with their mixamp simulated surround and chat functions.  I have a 7.1 home theater setup and I thought the sound cues through COD/BF were similar between my speakers and A50's.  I stopped playing in a clan and didn't need the chat functions so I sold it and went to using my other headphones & receiver for simulated surround for evening games.
I like a good amount of bass for FPS and as I remember it the A50's were adequate.  I had Q701's but to my ears they're lacking the bass I want for games.  I never directly compared the two though.
I voted A50 in your poll.

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 3
Need help, I'm having a dilemma at the moment, and I can't quite decide between the AKG Q701's and the Astro A50's. I'm a hardcore gamer who plays games which require the best surround experience. I prefer the functions of the Astro's such as the wireless and the game/chat volume rocker, but am I going to hear a noticable sound quality difference with the AKG's?
(Note, I will be using a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional with either headset).

Might consider selling off the Fatality Pro and getting the Creative Sound Blaster Z (SB1500), $100.
and then see what your willing to budget for headphones.
The Z has a headphone amplifier, the Fatal1ty does not.
The Z's CS4398 DAC chip is better then the Fatal1ty Pro's CS4382 DAC chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back