Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Dec 10, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #2,266 of 2,749
Hey, quick question about the SR25. I know its not open android and their are only a few whitelisted apps that can be loaded, but has anybody found a PDF reader that works? I have a lot of classical albums with a pdf, and it would be nice to view them while listening!
Yeah, it's pretty restrictive on what you can use with it. I'd just load the pdf's on your phone, laptop or tablet and read the pdf's from there. Much larger screen to start with!

Dec 12, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #2,267 of 2,749
Has anyone managed to get audioscrobbler working? I have Last.fm and Foobar installed but it won't scrobble my music. Whenever I launch Last.fm it requests to "Enable Notification Access" but when I try there's no options to within SR25. Will there be any updates to fix this? One of the reasons I purchased this DAP was for audioscrobbling. One workaround I found was to check Foobar's console and then manually submit my tracks through https://openscrobbler.com/

Dec 12, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #2,268 of 2,749
Aurorasound, just curious, but why do you like Foobar better then the stock player?

Dec 12, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #2,269 of 2,749
Aurorasound, just curious, but why do you like Foobar better then the stock player?
I like whatever will audioscrobble and both won't on the SR25. Foobar has a console which allows me to read logs and has few more options then the stock player. I'll use it to keep track of what I've listened to and submit to last.fm. If audioscrobbler worked on the stock player then I would use it....
Wonder if it's because the SR25 Android is severally locked down and won't allow the Last.fm app to access notifications... Looks like before there was a trick to allow non-whitelist apps as well....

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #2,270 of 2,749
Been an SR25 owner for a week now and I never thought I would enjoy a dedicated DAP so much at the end of 2021.
Coupled with the Fiio FH7 the SR25 is a beast. Before I was more an over ear type versus in ear. Think I'm a convert now. In ears can sound as good.

The sound is neutral to warm and smooth.
Reminds me a bit of an AKG K702, but with less detail in timbre department.

The sound from the line-out is nice and powerful. I'm using a Creek OBH se21 as amp for my full-size cans.

Got a bit in shopping spree, ordered the Fiio lc-re pro cable. Hopefully it's not snake oil. Never upgraded a headphone cable before.

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #2,271 of 2,749
Been an SR25 owner for a week now and I never thought I would enjoy a dedicated DAP so much at the end of 2021.
Coupled with the Fiio FH7 the SR25 is a beast. Before I was more an over ear type versus in ear. Think I'm a convert now. In ears can sound as good.

That sounds wonderful. I am interested in the Fiio FH7. Have you tried it combined with the SR25 with classical music?

Dec 17, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #2,272 of 2,749

The sound from the line-out is nice and powerful. I'm using a Creek OBH se21 as amp for my full-size cans.

Got a bit in shopping spree, ordered the Fiio lc-re pro cable. Hopefully it's not snake oil. Never upgraded a headphone cable before.
Amazing still, after 9 months of ownership/listening! I mainly listen to the flac and aiff files on the micro sd, but occasionally use Apple Music or AmazonMusic HD via WiFi. Pure musical bliss, no distractions, total immersion. ☺️

Dec 18, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #2,273 of 2,749
That sounds wonderful. I am interested in the Fiio FH7. Have you tried it combined with the SR25 with classical music?
I don't often listen to classical, yesterday listened to Vikingur Olafsson - Mozart & Contemporaries and the piano sounded very clean and I could feel/hear the way he pressed and released the keys. Attack and decay was quite detailed. Might give you an idea.

Listened to it on Qobuz by the way.

Dec 21, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #2,274 of 2,749
I got the SR25 on black friday, and I really really wanted to like this player, but I have to say I think it just isn’t for me. I think the problem is that my ideal use case for a DAP is as an out-and-about little player I can turn on and off quickly and control from inside my pocket, and the SR25 just doesn’t do that for me.

From a audio perspective it’s great, I love how it sounds, but my two biggest problems are that even though A&K have hidden most of the android bits away (thank you A&K I absolutely love that and it’s one of the main reasons I was willing to try the SR25 even though it is an android DAP), it still takes forever to cold start, and the control buttons are just too small and too close together for me to easily press them.

I think maybe if I was using it all day, turn it on when I get ready to leave for work, use it as a dac/amp from my work computer, and listen to it on the way home, and was only dealing with cold starts very infrequently I’d feel differently, but I’m not. It currently gets used infrequently, sometimes when I’m sitting on the couch and want to listen to music, sometimes when I’m commuting around town, but never for long stretches, and then it goes idle just long enough to turn off.

For contrast for me, I got the Fiio BTR5 around the same time, and while the sound isn’t as good, it fits my use cases much better. Turns on really quickly, larger buttons are easier to control from my pocket, and sounds good enough.

I definitely understand why someone would love the SR25, and like I said if I had a different use pattern I think I might love it, but it unfortunately just doesn’t fit in with how I currently listen to music.

Dec 22, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #2,275 of 2,749
So I'm trying to get a handle on power output for the SR25. I know its 2vrms and 4vrms, but what would that translate into 32 ohms (like other players list their specs). Trying to compare this to something like the Hiby R5S

Dec 22, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #2,276 of 2,749
So I'm trying to get a handle on power output for the SR25. I know its 2vrms and 4vrms, but what would that translate into 32 ohms (like other players list their specs). Trying to compare this to something like the Hiby R5S
At 32ohms 2vrms is 125mW and 4vrms is 250mW

Dec 22, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #2,277 of 2,749
So I'm trying to get a handle on power output for rhe SR25. I know its 2vrms and 4vrms, but what would that translate into 32 ohms (like other players list their specs). Trying to compare this to something like the Hiby R5

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #2,278 of 2,749
Noticed a few less than glowing comments about Qobuz above. How is the SR25 working out for Qobuz users, especially those who have a large (500gb+) offline library? The standard Qobuz app on android is far from the best... Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back