Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Aug 13, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #721 of 2,746
To run a manual scan - Settings -> System Reset -> Initialize media scan

You can set up folder on the microSD card and view the just the microSD card folders using the folder view. The player will take all files regardless of whether they are in internal memory or microSD card and group them all together and they can be sorted by Album, Artist or Genre. You will need to make sure the ID3 tags for each song are correct to ensure they sort by album/artist/song correctly.
So, let me understand what you said, the player will form a seamless database of both internal and external files?

Thanks !
Puertex

Aug 14, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #725 of 2,746
Depending on how many files you have located in internal memory and microSD card, it can take up to 10 - 15 minutes to do a full scan when running a manual scan.
mmh, using a 1 TB SD card (nearly full) it'll scan over 30 minutes the first time. After that the "normal" scan needs only a few minutes.
So, let me understand what you said, the player will form a seamless database of both internal and external files?
yes there will created a database based on the ID3 tags and you'll need this database for searching (if you're not using the folder view) in your music.

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #726 of 2,746
Has anyone tried HD6XX or HD660s? Can SR25 drive them easily via the 2.5mm output?

No, it doesn't drive 6XX easily with balanced output. There's enough volume at 130/150 volume, but you can feel there's not enough juice/power.

I stack an amp when using 6XX with my SR25.

Aug 14, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #727 of 2,746
mmh, using a 1 TB SD card (nearly full) it'll scan over 30 minutes the first time. After that the "normal" scan needs only a few minutes.

yes there will created a database based on the ID3 tags and you'll need this database for searching (if you're not using the folder view) in your music.
OK, thanks !, I just got the SR25 today and loading it with files...

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #728 of 2,746
Can do balanced line out, too. It's much stronger output at 4V vs 2V on single-ended.

If your amp/stereo is balanced and has xlr inputs, you just need something like this:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dTehFze
Has ayone been succesfull installing Spotify? I followed the procedure downloading it to the Open Services folder but the SR25 does not see it.

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #729 of 2,746
Aug 14, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #730 of 2,746
As someone who strongly dislikes Android, can you guys comment on how unobtrusive (or intrusive) the Android-like aspects of this player are?

I just got the iBasso DX160 and while it sounds great, especially for its price, I can’t deal with Android. Primarily, things like crashes, insane amounts of settings that are incredibly difficult to know what they will change, and worst of all when apps and settings “collide” with each other and cause annoying behaviors. I want the physical buttons to adjust whatever app I currently have open, whether or not the screen is on, for example. I don’t want it to randomly start playing music from another app I used earlier that is still open in some partial state and is conflicting with the current app.

That aside, I mostly listen using local flac files. How would you rate this player compared to other daps in this range as far as UI flexibility within the stock app?

Lastly, can anyone who has heard the Sony WM1A make any comparison in sound quality between it and the SR25?

Thanks!
the response varies. There are time the screen responds instantly while there are times it lags. While it's not a show stopper, at nearly what an iphone costs, I'd expect a better/quicker response. I guess A&K's bread and butter is not building OS.

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #731 of 2,746
the response varies. There are time the screen responds instantly while there are times it lags. While it's not a show stopper, at nearly what an iphone costs, I'd expect a better/quicker response. I guess A&K's bread and butter is not building OS.
I had a FiiO M11 for about a year...Still have it...I have been using the Neutron player...Now the SR25... I just received it this morning and have been learning the menus... Used it for 3 to 4 hours, loading the files, familiarizing myself. I find the interface very fluid and well designed... I will not need to use Neutron which I used on the M11 because I did not like the FiiO music player....I like the A&K UI... The Neutron is nice but I appreciate well designed simplicity... So, so far I don't see any issues with the Android firmware... I even created a .m3u8 playlist in my Windows computer and transferred it to the SR25 with no problems. For reference, I have about 100Gigs of tracks, so the SR is decently loaded up... It may be a keeper for me...

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #732 of 2,746
hey you all, currently the SR25 only got one review on amazon Germany and the person says the build quality is not good. wheel is very loose, display is not flush in the case.

did this person have bad luck? how is the build quality to you?
Thanks :D I am thinking about buying it to use it instead of my iPhone and my Sony NW A-17 I bought in Japan years ago.

Aug 15, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #733 of 2,746
on amazon Germany and the person says the build quality is not good. wheel is very loose, display is not flush in the case.
did this person have bad luck? how is the build quality to you?
Mine's fine and, imho, quite good build quality - but these things can be subjective.
There were a few posts about loose volume wheel few weeks ago in this thread - you can try searching for them.

Aug 15, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #734 of 2,746
Is it true that transferring files between the SR25 and a Mac is difficult and buggy?

Also, I saw a comment on Twisters review saying the player scans their large media library every time it boots up and it causes lag and glitches- has anyone experienced this?

That was probably my comment. I fixed it by erasing/formatting the microSD card in the settings.

Aug 15, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #735 of 2,746
Has anyone had problems with the media scanner? When I do a complete rescan it doesn't show all music in the library. I can find it if I look through the music via folder view.

I've tried with two microSD cards (Samsung 256 GB and Samsung 512 GB) both formatted in the players settings. I've gone through all my music with TagScanner and it shows up fine in foobar2000.

I think it started happening after the latest update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back