Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jul 26, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #634 of 2,749
Under wifi settings, what's your connection signal strength? Example: Excellent. And your link speed? Example: 63Mbps. If they are generally good, then it might be more a compatibilty with SR25's wifi protocols, which may be firmware fixable, rather than reception strength problem.

Are you using a case? If yes, does wifi improve without it?

IMHO, AK should chime in with some info, if wifi issues are indeed more prevalent.
When I connect the SR25 to my wifi it says that the signal strength is "Excellent." Link speed is 359Mbps with ping being 16ms and jitter 1.4ms so I think I am ok there. I live in a small house in the suburbs of Concord, NH and there aren't too many other wifi networks running and I've never had interference problems. I'm either 5 feet away from the router with a wall between, or 11 feet away with a clear shot. All in all I don't think my wifi is really the problem. Personally, I think A&K used a cheap wifi module that doesn't work well. It's obvious to me that the designers thought people would mainly use onboard files as they buried the streaming stuff under a submenu and the method of getting updates for the streaming services is clunky.
No case, just the naked SR25.
From what others have posted I don't think A&K will be chiming in.
I also want to say, for the record, that I am delighted with the sound signature of this player. It sounds really musical and the instruments seem to hang three dimensionally in space. It's fast. It feels very well constructed. I did a lot of reading before buying it, and with the sole exception of the wifi dropouts, it's been great. But, since I listen to stuff on Tidal about 70% of the time, the random dropouts are enough for me to send it back. I have asked A&K if they are aware of this issue and if they plan a fix. If they said yes, I'd keep it and hope. If they don't answer soon I'll send it back.
Thanks for your help.

Jul 26, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #635 of 2,749
it says that the signal strength is "Excellent." Link speed is 359Mbps with ping being 16ms and jitter 1.4ms so I think I am ok there. I live in a small house in the suburbs of Concord, NH and there aren't too many other wifi networks running and I've never had interference problems. I'm either 5 feet away from the router ......

It sounds really musical and the instruments seem to hang three dimensionally in space. It's fast. It feels very well constructed ..... I have asked A&K if they are aware of this issue and if they plan a fix. If they said yes, I'd keep it and hope.
Looks like your signal connection strength is much better than mine. I mostly use Tidal online with it, and can't recall any connection outage thoughout my 1300sq ft apartment. Yeah, the playback sound quality is top notch, I hope you get good response from AK!

Jul 26, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #636 of 2,749
My "workaround" for wifi dropouts at home has been to use SR25 as USB DAC with my laptop to explore different music in Tidal. In DAC mode, the crappy wifi chip is bypassed.

I just favorite the desired music, unplug SR25, and download whatever I liked to the 512gb microSD card in Tidal app. Turn off wifi and just listen to Tidal offline.

Yes, it is annoying to deal with dropouts but there are benefits in using Tidal in offline mode for listening such as longer battery life.

Jul 26, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #637 of 2,749
My "workaround" for wifi dropouts at home has been to use SR25 as USB DAC with my laptop to explore different music in Tidal. In DAC mode, the crappy wifi chip is bypassed.

I just favorite the desired music, unplug SR25, and download whatever I liked to the 512gb microSD card in Tidal app. Turn off wifi and just listen to Tidal offline.

Yes, it is annoying to deal with dropouts but there are benefits in using Tidal in offline mode for listening such as longer battery life.

You know, I think you have hit on the winning solution - just download the files I want, and I haven't had a download fail yet. I've got a 512gb card for my music, so I can give all the players memory to Tidal downloads. Since I can redownload anytime I want, I can clear the Tidal downloads periodically and start fresh. I think this will allow me to keep the player, which I'm otherwise delighted with.
Thanks!

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #639 of 2,749
AK have just released an update for the SR25, to version 1.20, which includes selectable Bluetooth codecs, as below:
LDAC x 2 ( audio or connection quality)
aptX HD
aptX
AAC
SBC

I am using aptX HD which makes a tremendous difference to the sound, providing your headphones support the codec. If they don't it defaults to another supported codec.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #640 of 2,749
AK have just released an update for the SR25, to version 1.20, which includes selectable Bluetooth codecs, as below:
LDAC x 2 ( audio or connection quality)
aptX HD
aptX
AAC
SBC

I am using aptX HD which makes a tremendous difference to the sound, providing your headphones support the codec. If they don't it defaults to another supported codec.

D45624E7-DEF4-4D0B-9DCE-8ED0AFE50196.jpeg

Jul 28, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #641 of 2,749
Some questions on the library interface...

Can you browse by Genre -> Album or Genre -> All Artists -> Album?

Is there an option to use Album Artist everywhere like the Sonys?

Can you sort Albums by Album Artist and not by Album name?

Jul 28, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #642 of 2,749
How do these do with sensitive IEMs at low listening volumes? What level is your volume on? I have some Final B3s and Sony N3s and find myself listening at volume 1 on my Sony NW-A55 in the evening...

Jul 28, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #643 of 2,749
How do these do with sensitive IEMs at low listening volumes? What level is your volume on? I have some Final B3s and Sony N3s and find myself listening at volume 1 on my Sony NW-A55 in the evening...
I have the Final E4000, and I am listening now, late evening here, at 65 out of 120 out of the balanced output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back