Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jul 23, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #616 of 2,746
I am having a problem with my SR25. At first it would not switch off or go into sleep mode, it was also running with quite a lot of lag. So, I decided to factory reset so that I could clear the unit, I ejected the SD card and reset. The reset when through the reset process but when it came to rebooting the unit would not moving from the open screen, it was stuck on the static A letter. There was nothing I could do to switch off the unit, so I let it run down. I then plugged in to charge and found no charging indictor showing, I left the unit charging for a few hours, however, when I checked, there was still no charging indicator, and the unity had become hot, not very hot but noticeably hot, so I discounted from the charger. At the moment, the unit is dead. So not sure what to do next. Can anyone offer help. Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #617 of 2,746
So received my SR 25, I am coming from the SR 15. Spent doing 2 days worth of A/B and the SR 25 feels darker than the SR 15 with no EQ and volume at 65. Tried a pure BA, 1 DD, Hybrid and Tri-Brid.

It almost reminded me of when I would move from different IEM's to the Westone W50,its that type of dark if people have experience this

Still trying to figure out if this will be a long time player or may just stick with the SR 15.

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #618 of 2,746
@JasonNYC mentioned earlier in this thread A&K would replace the battery for a small fee.

Don't know any other details , but apparently that option is available.

I am in the U.K. and I am sending my AK 380 to Germany to get a new battery, have been quoted €40 plus €20 for post, hope that gives you a idea on cost.

Jul 25, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #619 of 2,746
I was referring to the volume control not having to remain perfectly horizontal along the X axis when it is being turned.

If you assume that the unit is being held vertically, and the Y axis is from the top of the unit to the bottom, the volume control extends out to the right along the X axis. With prior AK units, the volume control remained absolutely immobile along the X axis. There was no movement up or down along the Y axis, and no movement along the Z axis (meaning the volume control bending towards the front of the unit or towards the back).

In the SR25, you can grab the volume control, and if you are careful, you can keep it steady with no movement along any axis. However, one is able easily to move the volume control in a rotary fashion towards the Y and Z axis, describing a cone, without even changing the volume by rotating the knob. It's not crazy, like 45 degrees or anything, but definitely a substantial jiggle, perhaps 10-15 degrees, forming that cone. And since this knob is larger, and does extend further out, and is not recessed well, like in the AK70, AK70- Mk2, or SR15, that's more cause for worry. To me, it FEELS fragile, with the wiggling.Others may feel differently, but I encourage them to compare to the original 3 units I just mentioned.

This is a good description for us to try. I would call this movement “play” instead of “wiggle.” I have to move the volume button purposefully (in what feels like an unnatural motion when changing the volume) to detect the play and it is slight. I feel like I have to force it a bit to detect the play so I could see this being potentially an issue if done continuously and forcefully.

I’ve never owned or used other A&K players so can’t compare. I’m still very happy with mine and in regular use the volume button feels sturdy enough to me. I like that it has increments too.

Jul 25, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #620 of 2,746
I need help with the wifi dropping constantly. I received my SR25 two days ago and have done nothing but put in a memory card with about 400gb of music downloaded the latest Tidal app. The unit upgraded to 1.10 after being turned on for the first time.
I am getting 6-10 wifi drops per hour and I am sitting 11 feet from my router. I have no problems with any other device - iPhone, HiBy R6pro, Kann, MacBook Pro and other assorted tablets. But 6-10 drops per hour over the past 3 days is driving me batty. I really like this player and want to fix this issue, but it's useless for Tidal streaming which is one of the main reasons I upgraded to it.
I've scoured the web, especially this thread, but I can't find any reasons why this is happening, or suggestions as to how to fix this.
Help!

Jul 25, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #621 of 2,746
I am having a problem with my SR25. At first it would not switch off or go into sleep mode, it was also running with quite a lot of lag. So, I decided to factory reset so that I could clear the unit, I ejected the SD card and reset. The reset when through the reset process but when it came to rebooting the unit would not moving from the open screen, it was stuck on the static A letter. There was nothing I could do to switch off the unit, so I let it run down. I then plugged in to charge and found no charging indictor showing, I left the unit charging for a few hours, however, when I checked, there was still no charging indicator, and the unity had become hot, not very hot but noticeably hot, so I discounted from the charger. At the moment, the unit is dead. So not sure what to do next. Can anyone offer help. Thanks

Ouch. Not sure if there’s a reset function...hopefully A&K can help. Seems like a defective unit unfortunately.

Jul 25, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #622 of 2,746
I need help with the wifi dropping constantly. I received my SR25 two days ago and have done nothing but put in a memory card with about 400gb of music downloaded the latest Tidal app. The unit upgraded to 1.10 after being turned on for the first time.
I am getting 6-10 wifi drops per hour and I am sitting 11 feet from my router. I have no problems with any other device - iPhone, HiBy R6pro, Kann, MacBook Pro and other assorted tablets. But 6-10 drops per hour over the past 3 days is driving me batty. I really like this player and want to fix this issue, but it's useless for Tidal streaming which is one of the main reasons I upgraded to it.
I've scoured the web, especially this thread, but I can't find any reasons why this is happening, or suggestions as to how to fix this.
Help!
I agree. I also think it is defective. I have had issues with wifi but nothing comparable, maybe two or three drops in 5 hours streaming Tidal or Apple music. Anoying yes, but nothing comparable. The wifi is for me the worst aspect of the Sr25, otherwise very nice. Yours, I think it is not behaving normally.

Jul 25, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #623 of 2,746
Help!

Have same wifi dropout issues with my router at home. However no dropouts with my router at work, nor when connected to hot spot through my cellphone. Could you try a different wifi source like your cellphone's hotspot?

As widely reported, SR25 generally has a weak wifi chip. It doesn't even support 5Ghz band (in 2020!). So it's likely it's not that your unit is faulty specifically, but your router might not work well with it.

In my router settings, SR25 is the only device out of ~20 that's using the old 2.4Ghz band. If you live in a crowded area like an apartment building, there might be a lot of interference. There are two things I'm aware of you could try in your router settings to improve 2.4Ghz connection: adjust Channel and Channel Width settings. Neither helped me but it might be worth a shot. (more here: https://kb.datto.com/hc/en-us/artic...-Networking-Which-WiFi-channels-should-I-use-)

Picked up SR25 at launch and there was no improvement in wifi dropouts from firmware 1.0 to 1.1.

Also PM'd @JasonNYC in terms of any suggestions for wifi router settings, but have not heard back in over a month.

Jul 25, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #624 of 2,746
Have same wifi dropout issues with my router at home. However no dropouts with my router at work, nor when connected to hot spot through my cellphone. Could you try a different wifi source like your cellphone's hotspot?

As widely reported, SR25 generally has a weak wifi chip. It doesn't even support 5Ghz band (in 2020!). So it's likely it's not that your unit is faulty specifically, but your router might not work well with it.

In my router settings, SR25 is the only device out of ~20 that's using the old 2.4Ghz band. If you live in a crowded area like an apartment building, there might be a lot of interference. There are two things I'm aware of you could try in your router settings to improve 2.4Ghz connection: adjust Channel and Channel Width settings. Neither helped me but it might be worth a shot. (more here: https://kb.datto.com/hc/en-us/artic...-Networking-Which-WiFi-channels-should-I-use-)

Picked up SR25 at launch and there was no improvement in wifi dropouts from firmware 1.0 to 1.1.

Also PM'd @JasonNYC in terms of any suggestions for wifi router settings, but have not heard back in over a month.
Thanks for the info. I will try the iPhone hotspot to see if that does anything. I appreciate the data. I live in a suburban area and there are a few other networks, but I haven't had interference problems before. It's probably a weakness between the SR25 and my router. Who knows how I fix it.

Jul 25, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #625 of 2,746
So far I haven't had issues with WiFi at home--not a single drop-out. I do see the radio signal on the SR-25 to be rather low though so maybe I'm just lucky with my setup. I know my router has a special tuning algorithm to help deconflict signals so maybe that's helping. If you continue to have issues maybe installing a mesh network in the house to help your router might get rid of the issue.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #626 of 2,746
A China special edition of the SR25 in Aqua Mint with 128GB internal storage.
sr25-1.jpg
sr25-3.jpg
sr25-2.jpg
sr25-4.jpg

Jul 25, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #629 of 2,746

I took your suggestions and went as far as to replace my router. Totally different brand from Xfinity. Again no problems with any of my devices except the SR25. Fewer dropouts with the new router, but still unacceptable for something that is supposed to be a streaming device. It's going back, and I'm at square one again.
Thanks for your help.

Jul 25, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #630 of 2,746
I took your suggestions and went as far as to replace my router. Totally different brand from Xfinity. Again no problems with any of my devices except the SR25. Fewer dropouts with the new router, but still unacceptable for something that is supposed to be a streaming device. It's going back, and I'm at square one again.
Under wifi settings, what's your connection signal strength? Example: Excellent. And your link speed? Example: 63Mbps. If they are generally good, then it might be more a compatibilty with SR25's wifi protocols, which may be firmware fixable, rather than reception strength problem.

Are you using a case? If yes, does wifi improve without it?

IMHO, AK should chime in with some info, if wifi issues are indeed more prevalent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back