Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
May 20, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #138 of 2,749
I'd be really interested that someone compares the SR25 to a smartphone equipped with Ikko's Zerda DAC/Amp…

Looks like I'll be doing this then — I just ordered the SR25 which I should get in time for this weekend. (I'm so weak…)

Should be interesting as I just sold my SP1000M…

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #141 of 2,749
I had the M11, sold it and now have the SR25. What are you going to be listening with (headphones/IEMs) and what music do you like?
What are your impressions with your music and IEMs? :)

May 21, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #143 of 2,749
IMG_20200513_202238.jpg

Give me couple of days ;]
Initially: tuning of SR15 and SR25 is very similar but SR25 is more refined - M11 is less linear but more powerful
As a pure music player SR25 seems to me better choice but if you are looking for and will be using all the functions of M11 and you don't mind extra size and weight then it is hard to beat at its price point

My opinions are based on (mosty) Singe DD IEMs and earbuds and some easy to drive full-size planars - as that's my cup of tea

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #144 of 2,749
What are your impressions with your music and IEMs? :)

I am also very interested in this comparison. Can you do a relative comparison regarding bass, mids, highs and soundstage?

would be great as I also have the m11 but considering the sr25z

thanx!

Unfortunately I sold all my IEMs to fund the CA Solstice and I have not gotten them back yet from being reworked (due to the post) so I don’t have IEMs at the moment. I have been listening with my Focal Spirit Classic which are relaxed sounding but nothing is boosted so they are pretty flat. To me the SR25 sounds warmer than the M11 and I really like the sound. Bass isn’t boosted, mids are the highlight and the highs are (for me) really nice because the detail is there but not too analytical (I found the SP1000 quite analytical). I got the SR25 to pair with the Solstice and I think once I get them back they will pair well together. Note that I am only listening out of the 3.5mm output and the main album I’ve been listening to is by The Weeknd (After Hours). I can give more impressions when I get my Solstice back, which is hopefully soon.

May 21, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #145 of 2,749
IMG_20200513_202238.jpg

Give me couple of days ;]
Initially: tuning of SR15 and SR25 is very similar but SR25 is more refined - M11 is less linear but more powerful
As a pure music player SR25 seems to me better choice but if you are looking for and will be using all the functions of M11 and you don't mind extra size and weight then it is hard to beat at its price point

My opinions are based on (mosty) Singe DD IEMs and earbuds and some easy to drive full-size planars - as that's my cup of tea

When you say "more refined," can you please elaborate?

I'm familiar with the sequence AK70 to AK70 MK2 to SR15. How is the SR25 now different than the SR15? Worth an upgrade from SR15, or just too incremental?

May 21, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #146 of 2,749

I'm familiar with the sequence AK70 to AK70 MK2 to SR15. How is the SR25 now different than the SR15? Worth an upgrade from SR15, or just too incremental?

Better separation, tad more detailed, hard to drive VE Zen sounds pretty good (those need tons of power),
For me 20h battery life, bigger better screen and LDAC is a main selling point - If you already have SR15 and are happy with 10h battery smaller screen and do not need BT - just on sound might not be worthwhile upgrade - after all SR15 sounds very good - but if somebody is planning to buy SR15 and has funds needed to get SR25 instead then I would strongly suggest to go for it ;]

May 21, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #147 of 2,749
Unfortunately I sold all my IEMs to fund the CA Solstice and I have not gotten them back yet from being reworked (due to the post) so I don’t have IEMs at the moment. I have been listening with my Focal Spirit Classic which are relaxed sounding but nothing is boosted so they are pretty flat. To me the SR25 sounds warmer than the M11 and I really like the sound. Bass isn’t boosted, mids are the highlight and the highs are (for me) really nice because the detail is there but not too analytical (I found the SP1000 quite analytical). I got the SR25 to pair with the Solstice and I think once I get them back they will pair well together. Note that I am only listening out of the 3.5mm output and the main album I’ve been listening to is by The Weeknd (After Hours). I can give more impressions when I get my Solstice back, which is hopefully soon.

thank you! That is what i wanted to hear! Im most def getting the sr25 now! :)

May 21, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #149 of 2,749

I posted some impressions of SR25 vs SR15 here as well, along with comparison pictures.

May 21, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #150 of 2,749
I had the M11, sold it and now have the SR25. What are you going to be listening with (headphones/IEMs) and what music do you like?

You’re the man! How are you liking it? I’d primarily use tidal offline side loaded onto the SD card. I will primarily use IEMs for listening; specifically: IER Z1R, Andromedas, and FH7s here and there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back