Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jun 21, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #1,922 of 2,746
I saw that overheating was an issue to some, but actually now that I look at all of the negative reviews they seem to be more human error then product error
I do get a bit of overheating occasionally but generally it seems to be connected with mistakenly uploading files of formats not recognized by the player. If you delete them no more problem. Also some overheating with DSD files but nothing to worry about in my experience. The SR25 is excellent sound and battery. I cannot compare with the Fiio. I bought my SR25 one year ago and have used it intensively. Weakest point is wifi reception. Some people have no issue, others do. In my case range could be better but it works pretty well.
hope it helps!

Jun 21, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #1,923 of 2,746
I do get a bit of overheating occasionally but generally it seems to be connected with mistakenly uploading files of formats not recognized by the player. If you delete them no more problem. Also some overheating with DSD files but nothing to worry about in my experience. The SR25 is excellent sound and battery. I cannot compare with the Fiio. I bought my SR25 one year ago and have used it intensively. Weakest point is wifi reception. Some people have no issue, others do. In my case range could be better but it works pretty well.
hope it helps!
I saw people having issue with 3rd party apps, and some wifi issues. None of that has any interest to me, I don't use spotify or any of those services so I wouldn't use it for wifi and everything I do with my music players are hard wired. Or would I need to install a 3rd party software to listen to everything I put on the player?

Jun 21, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #1,924 of 2,746
I saw people having issue with 3rd party apps, and some wifi issues. None of that has any interest to me, I don't use spotify or any of those services so I wouldn't use it for wifi and everything I do with my music players are hard wired. Or would I need to install a 3rd party software to listen to everything I put on the player?
supported audio formats according to the manual: WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE, AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF, MQA

I use FLAC and DSF. You copy the files in the player internal memory or card and there you go!

Jun 21, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #1,925 of 2,746
I saw that overheating was an issue to some, but actually now that I look at all of the negative reviews they seem to be more human error then product error
My unit will get warm when it's handling DSD natively, but aside from that runs cool as a cucumber. It's possible there's a human error aspect, but it could also just be the byproduct of running passive electronics in something that's insulated by a PU leather case. Electronics make heat; it has to dissipate somehow. Doesn't translate into me carrying around a hot potato, though.
I've been able to run all my locally-stored stuff with the SR25's native player. Don't think I've run into a single issue where it wouldn't play a fileI had. Think you'll be okay.

Jun 21, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #1,926 of 2,746
supported audio formats according to the manual: WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE, AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF, MQA

I use FLAC and DSF. You copy the files in the player internal memory or card and there you go!
Ok, I use FLAC and DSF also, pretty similar to my FiiO. All I am curious about now is if the sound quality is worth the upgrade, I currently own Sennheiser Momentum (M2) Over the ear headphones. I am starting to lean towards getting this player with a 1TB Sandisk Extreme microsd

Jun 24, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #1,929 of 2,746
Hello,

Thanks for the reply @paulobao. I figured it out, the player has the feature I mentioned. On playback settings, you can decide the default action for the times you want to add a song to now playing, there are 4 options: top/bottom/next/or make the player ask you every time where you wanna put the song. This was exactly what I was looking for. This way you can use the now playing list, as a curated song list for a listening session.

The tricky part is, adding the songs to the now playing. For this, when you are on artist page or songs page, or albums page, doesn't matter, you have to click on edit button(the one with the pen on it), and it lets you select the songs by putting a tick on them. After you select the song, you click on the "plus and triangle" button on top. But for artists with many albums and hundreds or even thousands of songs, this is bad user experience. Let me explain:

You are on the page of an artist that has 10 albums and 150 songs. You navigate through it, swipe down and down and find the song you wanna add to now playing. You click on the edit button(the one with the pen on it) and damn, you are back on the top of the list, with every album expanded to reveal the songs in it.. And you start swiping down to get to the song you want, and this time it takes even longer because all the albums are expanded, so you swipe down through all the songs..

@JasonNYC
Is there a possibility to add, long press function? On this use case, we could simply long press to a song to select it(it would act the same way as ticking a song), and then decide what we wanna do with it, add it to now playing/add it to a playlist etc.

Or, is there a possibility to change this behaviour: clicking on the edit button, makes you go back to the top of the list. I can't see the logic of this :) Why does this button makes you go top of the list and expand every album to reveal the songs in them?

I'd appreciate a response. Thank you for being here.

Best regards,
@JasonNYC

Hello, can you at least pass this feedback to Astell&Kern UX/UI team?

Jun 24, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #1,930 of 2,746
@JasonNYC

Hello, can you at least pass this feedback to Astell&Kern UX/UI team?
I'm glad I'm not the only one frustrated with that, haha. There are a couple of other minor things that don't make sense to me either, like the way tracks are presented when browsing via the MQS tab. It shows each individual track and the sorting is so weird, they're not grouped by album, and if they are, they're not in the correct track order, etc.

Also, an update regarding my issue with the home button: I don't think the screen protector affects it at all, it's just the software performance is really laggy and sometimes it can't register/execute the home button press. When I'm not doing anything RAM intensive the button works even with just a light tap.

Jun 25, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #1,931 of 2,746
I'm glad I'm not the only one frustrated with that, haha. There are a couple of other minor things that don't make sense to me either, like the way tracks are presented when browsing via the MQS tab. It shows each individual track and the sorting is so weird, they're not grouped by album, and if they are, they're not in the correct track order, etc.

Also, an update regarding my issue with the home button: I don't think the screen protector affects it at all, it's just the software performance is really laggy and sometimes it can't register/execute the home button press. When I'm not doing anything RAM intensive the button works even with just a light tap.

For me the stupidest feature of AK players to have favorites tag limited to only 100 tracks... Big fuc...ng star on the now playing screen with limited capabilities... Please, A&K! :frowning2:

Jun 28, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #1,932 of 2,746
Have been checking this dap out for a couple of days. Very nice, to my ears the sound is a step up from sr15. More expansive stage, better layering and dynamics and a touch more detail.

Best thing is the insane battery life. I haven't had any problems streaming- wifi has been good. Size and build are perfect for me. I think it slightly edges out the R5s and M3x in sound quality. Although those both have full Android and are half as cheap.

You do pay a premium for AK stuff, but the designs and build quality are always top notch. Very good work, it fixed the somewhat smaller stage of the sr15. But not night and day of course. Impressed. Guys by chance will neutron or hiby music ever be Whitelisted :)

20210628_132659.jpg
20210628_132720.jpg

Jun 28, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #1,933 of 2,746
Have been checking this dap out for a couple of days. Very nice, to my ears the sound is a step up from sr15. More expansive stage, better layering and dynamics and a touch more detail.

Best thing is the insane battery life. I haven't had any problems streaming- wifi has been good. Size and build are perfect for me. I think it slightly edges out the R5s and M3x in sound quality. Although those both have full Android and are half as cheap.

You do pay a premium for AK stuff, but the designs and build quality are always top notch. Very good work, it fixed the somewhat smaller stage of the sr15. But not night and day of course. Impressed. Guys by chance will neutron or hiby music ever be Whitelisted :)
Thought I recognized you from the R5 thread :)

Only thing I wish for is a clear (not smoked) TPU case for the guy. While I love how vibrant the red leather case is, it makes the button feel way too soft. An official TPU case could help with some of that. Just cant bear to stand the idea of this guy getting scuffed up...
IMG_20210628_103842.jpg

Jun 28, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #1,934 of 2,746
Thought I recognized you from the R5 thread :)

Only thing I wish for is a clear (not smoked) TPU case for the guy. While I love how vibrant the red leather case is, it makes the button feel way too soft. An official TPU case could help with some of that. Just cant bear to stand the idea of this guy getting scuffed up...
IMG_20210628_103842.jpg

I'd second that, I bought the 'official' case and I didn't like the way it slid in from the side. A nice thin tpu case would be very cool, especially with that gorgeous red 😀 And from my experience from the ak70 hitting a desk corner and denting that sharp corner :frowning2: a case is almost a must.

I had to sell my ak 70 at a loss because I obsessed so much over that blemish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back