Astell&Kern SR25 Headphones Recommendation
Nov 26, 2020 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AlexED

New Head-Fier
Hi

I'm looking for any recommendations for a pair of headphones for Astell&Kern SR25.

- used for classical music (vocals and orchestral)
- used in public places like trains so will need to have minimal sound leakage
- portable (would prefer not to have full around ear style)
- I've gone for wired rather than wireless in the past, open to suggestions?
- any possible IEM recommendations to pair with SR25

Regards

Alex

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 7
minimal sound leakage
For years while commuting I used the Etymotics ER4P.
Excellent in blocking noise as needed on a train while playing chamber music.
Also great on planes.
Basically excellent passive noise cancelling without mangling the audio as most ANC implementations do.

It took sometime to get used to the triple flange inserted deeply in the ear.
They are very neutral, sometimes close to a bit harsh but very revealing.
Of course you can EQ them a bit.

I've gone for wired rather than wireless in the past, open to suggestions?

Today I often use a Sennheiser momentum true wireless.
Decent noise isolation ( at home as due to the Corona this is our office as well)
Love the freedom. You can roam through the house.

Sound a bit too warm (that is Senn imho) but a little EQ reduces the base.
Not as transparent as the ER4P.
No use to combine this with the SR25, any Bluetooth enabled mobile phone will do.

Nov 26, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 7
I just bought the Etymotic Er4xr (in an offer of amazon usa shipped to Spain, much cheaper than the local price) to match with the SR25 and I believe they should fit your requirements. I listen mainly to classical music and they are simply amazing. Provided you get the proper fit, the isolation is fantastic and the sound quality amazing. Only thing is the deep insertion, not everyone likes that, but I actually find them very comfortable. They are like a scalpel, disecting the music. I was just listening today to the Pastoral with Bernstein, Wiener Philarmonike, DSD, amazing how precise and beautifully reproduced. I was walking around my very noisy city and could not hear any outside noise. Other day I was with Mozarts Requiem and wow. Mind you, you have to be careful, certainly you cannot ride a bike with these, it would be really dangerous!

i also have the Jabra Elite 65t noise canceling Bluetooth. Those are confortable, practical for phone calls, but the sound quality does not come anywhere close to the Etys. I have as well the Sony wh1000xm3 Bluetooth cans, excellent noise cancellation and perfect for long flights, not as portable though, overears, and as to sound quality do not come close to the Etys either.
Hope it helps!

Dec 1, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 7
An update: I went for Etymotic ER4XRs (imported into UK from B&H - price was good, v quick delivery and customs pre-paid for convenience). Sound with the SR25 is different from my previous Plenu D and AKG A50 so getting used to that but hearing new things! Nice.

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 7
An update: I went for Etymotic ER4XRs (imported into UK from B&H - price was good, v quick delivery and customs pre-paid for convenience). Sound with the SR25 is different from my previous Plenu D and AKG A50 so getting used to that but hearing new things! Nice.
A word of advice, try all the different tips. Too loose and you do not get a seal and then they do not sound so well. Too tight and it hearts! For me, for the moment I am using the big double flanges. Small double no perfect seal. Large triple flanges it hearts. Foams I do not like. It is very personal.

I have ordered a balanced cable for the ER4XR with my SR25. I will post impressions in the Etymotic thread when it arrives but my previous experience with Final e4000, Denon Ah-d7200 and Sennheiser HD599 tells me that the balanced output of the SR25 is twice as powerful and in my opinion also sounds clearly better than the unbalance. Most likely the ER4XR are going to sound amazing in balanced! They already sound fantastic out of the unbalanced output.

Dec 2, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 7
For years while commuting I used the Etymotics ER4P.
Excellent in blocking noise as needed on a train while playing chamber music.
Also great on planes.
Basically excellent passive noise cancelling without mangling the audio as most ANC implementations do.

It took sometime to get used to the triple flange inserted deeply in the ear.
They are very neutral, sometimes close to a bit harsh but very revealing.
Of course you can EQ them a bit.

Today I often use a Sennheiser momentum true wireless.
Decent noise isolation ( at home as due to the Corona this is our office as well)
Love the freedom. You can roam through the house.

Sound a bit too warm (that is Senn imho) but a little EQ reduces the base.
Not as transparent as the ER4P.
No use to combine this with the SR25, any Bluetooth enabled mobile phone will do.
This is great advice. My next suggestion after this would be CIEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back