Astell & Kern SR25 Broken Jack After 2 Months: Review
Dec 27, 2020 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jayteeare

Head-Fier
I want to give my review of the AK &norma SR25, but also want to use this as a real time live review on how quickly they respond to my request to have it repaired after purchasing it 60 days ago.

FYI: I’ve been sending them emails, Fb chat on their page, and have tried calling then as well for exactly 1 week. Of course due to the Holidays, I understand they may be off. So I will report here with how fast they get back to me, how much they charge, if they can fix it here in the USA, or if it needs to be shipped out to S. Korea for repairs. I will give them time to respond and will not bash them prematurely. I’d like to think that the most prestigious TOTL maker of these world famous DAP’s will make the process a smooth experience. On to the review:

The $699 price tag was jarring to me (or most people I’d think) but I’m too far down the audiophile rabbit hole to turn back. And everyone here knows what the SR25 looks like; it’s an iPod from another dimension taken over by borg technology and given the aesthetic that only people like H.G. Geiger could conceive of. Every bit as intriguing as the monolith from Space Odessy if you could hold it your hand.

But how’s it play? I must add that my only other “expensive” DAP before this was was the then nearly $300 Fiio M9; and that experience was not the best. I had no idea the software would be so disappointingly lagging, considering they tout the OS Android as being fast and responsive on their sales copy.

Someone here made me aware that if I wanted a player as fast and responsive as an iPhone I’d have to spend twice as much, and like most of us, fell in love with AK SR25 &norma DAP.

Sure to buy the best sdcard on the market, and decided on the Samsung 500GB Evo model. All I can say is wow! Once I entered the card and turned on the device, all 220gb worth of music I had on there immediately loaded.

My playlist scheme was intact, and true it’s advertising, played 32bit, DSD, Flac without a hitch. The screen is beautifully lit and the touch screen super responsive and snappy. I wonder if this is case with all AK GUI, or if this is just due to being a quad core device.

The music sounded amazing, and paired with my trusty Shure 846 items, this was the best I’d experienced music ever.

Im mostly into obscure late 70’s punk, but for my test tracks, usually go with my go to bass track; “Maybe He’ll Know” by Blue Angel (Cyndi Lauper’s first band). This was for real; heard things I’d never heard in 3D and was blown away.

For detail, I will usually go with David Bowie’s “Ashes to Ashes” and the part that is an insane unintelligent mumble of him going mad is almost clear enough to understand! Or at least be on par to understand the true nature of those madman yelps!

Great player! Now as compared to the Fiio M9 in terms of sound, I won’t even lie nor pretend to have the gift of being able to distinguish between sound signatures, or the difference between Cirrus and Wolfson DACs, but I hope to train my ear to get to that level.

Was perfectly happy with the SR25 &norma, though it did feel like I was handling a container of plutonium, being so careful and conscious of where it was at all times and holding it like a baby.

But though I never dropped it, it feels strong and sturdy, and I ended up buying a $39 case for it off amazon which I love.

So, on to the tragedy. I recently bought the Tripowin 16 core MMCX cable 2.5 balanced since I’d only ever used the 3.5 unbalanced. I know there’s debate as to whether it’s just a gimmick and that to most the sound is I distinguishable unless you’re running cables longer than 10ft; but for the novelty of having as a feature, I decided to try it with this new beautiful cable.

This device is advertised for its pocketable size, and I’d assume that’s how most of us carry it on the go. When I sat in my car, the jack in the 2.5 broke, and the 2.5 pin could just dangle about in the hole no longer being secured. It no longer worked and I was bummed out like someone had just died.

Heard horror stories of companies like AK being notorious for not getting back to people or charging them exorberant fee’s for repair, and it possible taking months to get back if I’m lucky.

I did some googling, and to my dismay I saw so many other reviews saying that other AK devices had a infamous flaw with the security of the 2.5mm pin, and was prone to break for many. One audiophile friend from eBay suggested I try and contact AK here in Irvine, CA and to speak to Andrew Wu who I assume handled these matters. He also had issues with the AK player with the 2.5 jack and he claimed they charged him $60. So that was last week on Monday, I uploaded a picture of my order invoice and everything and waiting to hear back.

Im not saying anything negative about AK as I believe they produced a beautiful item, but if the 2.5 jack input hasn’t been engineered to test the stress of having something plugged into it, with so many reviews saying this 2.5 port is not nearly as strong as it should be, you would think they could at least make mention of it and caution those who might get the same result.

If all goes well, and if they repair it, I will endorse AK and rave about their after service here, and who knows may even buy the Alpha KANN as well.

Dec 27, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 13
To be clear, the outer black ring and whatever security the inside of the device has to hold the 2.5 pin steady is what broke, not the 2.5 pin of the Tripowin cable itself. The cable itself still works perfectly fine after testing it on my friends Fiio. It was definitely the stress threshold of that 2.5 opening that gave out.

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 13
Well that’s a great sign. I got an email back from an Astell Kern rep who said they would love to help. I was sent a RMA form which I needed to fill out, and include it with the package, recommended USPS Priority Mail. I went ahead and put everything together in the box and it’s been sent. The AK rep made me aware that once they receive it, it could could take up to 2 weeks. I still don’t know the repair price, or if they will just replace it with a new one, but the form did require I fill out my credit card info.

Shipping Priority with usps box cost me $7.50

I don’t live too far from Irvine where their location is, so I hope they receive it tomorrow or the day after.

While that’s in progress, I’ve been using my iPod Classic 5th Gen modded with 500GB, and have it connected to the Fiio Andes DAC/Amp with my Shure 846; wow, I had forgotten how much fun this combo was!

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 13
I tracked the package, and it arrived at Astell & Kern facilities earlier today, January 4th 2021. Let's see how quickly they respond.

Jan 6, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 13
I just got an update from Astell Kern today, and so far they continue to exceed my expectations! :) They informed me that my device arrived and was diagnosed. The 2.5 balanced jack was pushed into the chassis, and be sent for repair to S. Korea. The expected turn around time is 2-3 weeks.

The wait may not be the quickest, but it’s going to be repaired half way around the world so understandable. I asked how much this was going to cost me; they assured me the RMA reason for the 2.5 jack would be repaired at no cost, under manufacturer warranty.

Astell Kern has scored major points with me, I hope to keep you all informed on what happens next.

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 13
New update. My SR25 arrives tentatively tomorrow, and is expected to be repaired and sent back to the USA the week of 2/10/21.

I don’t know much about engineering, but I wonder if maybe making the input audio jacks (the 3.5 and 2.5mm) would be better suited if they had something similar to the volume knob protection. Maybe if that same steel/gun metal were to protrude upward from the jack, almost like a upside down pyramid/cone shape, then it would make it near impossible to break the jack accidentally resulting in the chassis being broken off and pushed into the device like happened to me. The upside down cone shapes wouldnt even have to protrude too high, just enough so that if it’s the pin jack vs the inner part of the decive, at least the earphone pin itself would break and be more replaceable than the device itself. The holes where you insert the pin seem to be rounded off plastic, and say you have the earphones plugged it, if you push that pin sideways while connected, it’ll break in your pocket, but if they were made of steel instead of plastic and actually part of the chassis, man, that would be some awesome strength and preservation.

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 13
Update. My SR25 came back in the mail today, fully repaired, all the way from South Korea.

My SR25 2.5mm jack was damaged on Dec 27th and I contacted AK at that time, so about 10 days shy of 2 months for the whole process. Now, for it having to travel to S. Korea and back, that's a digestible time frame. They also didn't charge me anything as I was within the warranty period.

My thoughts on dealing with Astell & Kern on a repair request:

After making initial contact with them which took a couple days due to the Holidays, I can say that AK responded to all my questions and inquiries within 24hrs without fail. I always initiated the asking of the status, and they responded in kind. I never felt that I was being ignored or forgotten about.

So at the end of the day, I am pleased with my experience.

However, as a word of caution, though people who can afford devices like this probably won't be affected; make sure you always have a reliable backup DAP. Going back to my iPod Classic was okay, and together with the Fiio Andes DAC, it was suffice. I actually came upon a AK 240 from a pawn shop in Southern California that I bought for $180 about a few weeks after sending off my SR25. It had a very similar feel, but even by modern DAP firmware standards, the AK240 is a great player but definitely aged compared to the SR25. I ended up selling it on eBay for a nice markup, and was back to my iPod. Towards the latter part of the wait stretch for the SR25 to come back, I made a startling realization: I found a lightly used XDuuo DAC/Amp "Link USB-C" for $2.00 at a Amazon Returns swap meet that specializes in electronics, and with an adapter used it with my iPhone XS Max. OMG! This little DAC/Amp was playing flawlessly, and just as rich and full as any DAP id used before. Amazing how that little Xduoo can turn even an iPhone into an actual audiophile grade device.

When you buy an Astell Kern product, be aware that there isn't a repair facility in the USA. You will wait for almost 2 months, and that's if you are under warranty. Before purchasing one you have to keep that in mind that it must be handled with great care, as I carelessly left the device in my pocket, and simply by sitting down in my car seat, I managed to break off the 2.5mm jack, which made it sink into the chassis.

Overall I am pleased, and glad to have it back. I believe posting on here in head-fi forum to document my experience was very helpful, as you can tell by their sock puppet replies to my posts, they do follow this site and any negative online mentions. So I would not just encourage posting about your similar experiences not just with AK, but any of the other reputable audiophile companies on how the process goes for you. Thats why I'm glad sites like this exist; in a way it acts as a watchdog to make sure everything is on the up and up.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #9 of 13
Great to hear you had a positive result on the repair, sounds like A&K looked after you well!

I’ve been nervous about that 2.5 mm jack, it just seems so fragile. Especially with the straight plug on the cheap tripowin cable I was using with SE535. I’m using a new IEM with angled 3.5mm, I reckon any other 2.5mm cable I ever get will likewise have angled plug..

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 13
Yes absolutely, use with an angled jack if at all possible if you're going to plug into an expensive and delicate device like an Astell Kern product. Yes, they are built like trucks on the surface, with the metal and super strength glass, however the jack inputs must be watched out for. Lately I've been using my IE 800s Sennheiser IEM's, which luckily has the angled jack.

I'd also like to comment on the latest firmware upgrades for then SR25 in late January. When I got the device back, I immediately connected it to my wifi, and was pleased to see there was 2 updates to be done. After the upgrade, I can say that it has even more of a snappy and fast user interface.

And as a word of caution, if you live in the USA, I highly recommend NOT buying one of these from eBay, new or used; buy it from Crutchfield, as they have the best after-buy return exchange program with no hassles. I believe they may be able to even repair the device in-house instead of shipping all the way to S. Korea.

Feb 20, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #12 of 13
2.5mm by itself is already a flawed design and that is why there are 4.4mm
Not on my DAP there isn't, so angled plug is fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back