Astell&Kern SE200 is NOT better that the SP1000M Blue!
Oct 22, 2020 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

szore

Headphoneus Supremus
I just came from Audio46 in Manhattan. They have a SE200 open box for demo. I own and use the 1000M every day, this is the second time I've owned it. I owned the SE100 twice, I owned the SPK2000cu, the sr-25, and the sr-15 and the A&K Jr (great dap). Someone somewhere on the forums or maybe Facebook claimed the SE200 sounded better than the sp1000M. The SE200 is not even in the same class and I hated it. It sounds like they boosted the mids and the bass to make it sound more 'dynamic'; then rolled off the treble to 2 different degrees to claim one dac was for 'jazz and classical', or something. The tuning is NOT sophisticated nor subtle at all, and it came across as rather ham-fisted and rushed. The SP1000's smooth, neutral, yet detailed tuning is sophisticated and nuanced. The sp1000M is a TOTL dap that utterly outclasses the SE200 (as to be expected considering the price brackets). However, I don't feel the SE200 is worth $1,700 by a long shot, I would choose the SE100 in a second. One thing, tho, it IS an absolutely gorgeous unit, it is truly stunning. This is IMHO.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 24
I just came from Audio46 in Manhattan. They have a SE200 open box for demo. I own and use the 1000M every day, this is the second time I've owned it. I owned the SE100 twice, I owned the SPK2000cu, the sr-25, and the sr-15 and the A&K Jr (great dap). Someone somewhere on the forums or maybe Facebook claimed the SE200 sounded better than the sp1000M. The SE200 is not even in the same class and I hated it. It sounds like they boosted the mids and the bass to make it sound more 'dynamic'; then rolled off the treble to 2 different degrees to claim one dac was for 'jazz and classical', or something. The tuning is NOT sophisticated nor subtle at all, and it came across as rather ham-fisted and rushed. The SE100's smooth, neutral, yet detailed tuning is sophisticated and nuanced. The sp1000M is a TOTL dap that utterly outclasses the SE200 (as to be expected considering the price brackets). However, I don't feel the SE200 is worth $1,700 by a long shot, I would choose the SE100 in a second. One thing, tho, it IS an absolutely gorgeous unit, it is truly stunning. This is IMHO.
Well I’ve owned both and used both extensively and think the complete opposite. The SE200 outclasses the sp1000m in pretty much every way. The only edge that the sp1000m might have over the SE200 is a slightly more forward midrange, the SE200 out classes it in terms of detail retrieval, soundstage and dynamics.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 24
Well I’ve owned both and used both extensively and think the complete opposite. The SE200 outclasses the sp1000m in pretty much every way. The only edge that the sp1000m might have over the SE200 is a slightly more forward midrange, the SE200 out classes it in terms of detail retrieval, soundstage and dynamics.
What the hell are you listening to???? What other gear did you use? IEM, cable...?

Oct 23, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 24
All very capable. Solaris(SE) with Loki+ and U12t with plussound tri-copper. Sounds like you need to go back and have a second listen...
Enjoy.

Oct 23, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 24
C5EE8CCB-5476-4541-9B76-F5F6FC115D94.jpeg

8D6451DE-83D5-49EE-B451-615A5E1B9890.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 24
All very capable. Solaris(SE) with Loki+ and U12t with plussound tri-copper. Sounds like you need to go back and have a second listen...
which IEM do you like the most with the SE200? What are you favorite music genres? I also have Solaris SE with factory cable and I am trying to determine whether I should get the khan Alpha or the SE200.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Oct 28, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 24
which IEM do you like the most with the SE200? What are you favorite music genres? I also have Solaris SE with factory cable and I am trying to determine whether I should get the khan Alpha or the SE200.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

The Legend X pairs incredibly well with the AKM side as does the Z1R. The Solaris SE really sounds great with the ESS side. I listen mostly to electronic, synth and metal. I’d say the AKM side is more suited to these genres whereas the ESS side is more suited to rock and acoustic.

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 24
Thanks for quick response. Do you think SR25 is perhaps 90% of SE200? I am assuming SE200 has better dynamic, clarity, spaciousness, and layers.
Hmm I wouldn’t say 90%... it’s quite hard to gauge but I would put the SR25 at maybe 70 - 75% of the SE200. The SE200 is just so much more layered, a more expansive stage while seemingly more natural, with more air and clarity. It really is better in every aspect imo (sound wise) and quite hard to put into words. I’d put the Kann Cube at 80 - 85% of the SE200.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 24
Thanks this is very helpful. I am going to find a place that I can audition the khan Alpha and decide whether I want to fork out additional dollar for the SE200. I did try a SE200 and liked it but it costs a bit too much.

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #14 of 24
Hmm I wouldn’t say 90%... it’s quite hard to gauge but I would put the SR25 at maybe 70 - 75% of the SE200. The SE200 is just so much more layered, a more expansive stage while seemingly more natural, with more air and clarity. It really is better in every aspect imo (sound wise) and quite hard to put into words. I’d put the Kann Cube at 80 - 85% of the SE200.

Hiya :relaxed:

I usually have a "bad experience" with the AKM DACs (question of personal preferences).

Latest in mind is the Cayin N3 Pro and, while great at first (e.g. vocals are more articulate, I literally understand better what is being sung — mids perhaps a bit more forward?), they have a clarity/transparency which seems to bother me at some point. The same happened with the SP1000M.

With this in mind, is this something you also experience in-between the SR25 & SE200?
Also, would you mind letting me know how smooth is the SE200 compared to the SR25 (if there are any differences)?

Thanks in advance for your precious help — again… :relieved:

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #15 of 24
Hiya :relaxed:

I usually have a "bad experience" with the AKM DACs (question of personal preferences).

Latest in mind is the Cayin N3 Pro and, while great at first (e.g. vocals are more articulate, I literally understand better what is being sung — mids perhaps a bit more forward?), they have a clarity/transparency which seems to bother me at some point. The same happened with the SP1000M.

With this in mind, is this something you also experience in-between the SR25 & SE200?
Also, would you mind letting me know how smooth is the SE200 compared to the SR25 (if there are any differences)?

Thanks in advance for your precious help — again… :relieved:
Hey, no problem. Are you asking about 'Smoothness' in relation to the sound? Or the UI?

For sound I'd say the SR25 is smoother than both outputs of the SE200 but I think this may be due to the loss of detail retrieval when going between the two players. The level of detail retrieval present in both outputs of the SE200 is of a noticeably higher level than that of the SR25 (To be expected for the price difference). I think it is this added detail retrieval that grabs your attention more so and which effects the perceived 'smoothness' of the SE200. Saying that, the ESS side of the SE200 is noticeably smoother than that of the AKM side and has more of a focus on the mids. I listen to the ESS side when I want to listen passively. The AKM side is very dynamic with more of a 'V' shaped tuning and a higher level of detail retrieval.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back