Astell & Kern SE180
Apr 22, 2021 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Dionysus

1000+ Head-Fier

This is an new interesting DAP. I just received this email regarding this new portable with interchange amp/day modules.

Apr 22, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 13
Apr 22, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 13
It's nice to see a replaceable module without needing a screwdriver/etc to remove/replace. With a push of a button it is more convenient and seamless, however durability on the wear & tear on their locking/spring system will be one factor. Including what happens if an accidental press of the button ejects the card while playing? Hope there is a safety feature that prevents any short circuit/etc from damaging not only the DAP but your IEM/headphones.

Apr 22, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 13
Glad 4.4mm is present. Hope the modules don't make it feel cheap.

Aug 7, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 13
I received my SE 180 two days ago and returned it yesterday. Bluetooth issues (snap crackle pop) and SD card playback issues (delays, hesitations, etc.). This is a beautiful device and from what I could tell sounded good, but wow, hours and hours of trying to address the issues in every possible way with no fixes - so crushing...

Aug 7, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 13
I received my SE 180 two days ago and returned it yesterday. Bluetooth issues (snap crackle pop) and SD card playback issues (delays, hesitations, etc.). This is a beautiful device and from what I could tell sounded good, but wow, hours and hours of trying to address the issues in every possible way with no fixes - so crushing...
I've never had any of those issues. I'm sorry to hear you were dealing with that. I hope you can find another DAP that is stress-free!

Sep 18, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #8 of 13
So little love for the SE180 surprises me. I mean, I know it's not the most amazing DAP in it's price range and has some pretty strong competition, but I quite enjoy that "little" piece of wonder. Got me a short while to get used to the UI but right now I think it's good enough to not to feel dissapointment. I wish it has 5ghz Wi-Fi, but the regular 2,4ghz is more than decent for a DAP. For sure I can tell that the build quality is outstanding and the sound quality is a significant step-up from both my previous DX228, WM1A @MrWalkman softs and current Fiio M11 Plus Ltd. Can't wait to grab the SEM2 and will definitely gonna buy the future cards as well.

Oct 4, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 13
Aaaaaaand it's me again. Got the SEM2 a while ago and after 50-60'ish hours of use I can only say that it's a huge upgrade for me. It's litteraly an upgrade in every regard possible with both technicalities and timbre. As much as I enjoyed the SE180 on SEM1, the SEM2 is a whole new experience and sound-wise it just ticks all the boxes. It's very technically capable while also being very enjoyable and musical. Love it with both my EE Nemesis and Aroma Audio W 6.2. Even gave it a try with my ZMF Eikon LTD and it did suprisingly well so if some of you hesitate with buying SEM2, do it while it's still possible!

Oct 20, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 13
Aaaaaaand it's me again. Got the SEM2 a while ago and after 50-60'ish hours of use I can only say that it's a huge upgrade for me. It's litteraly an upgrade in every regard possible with both technicalities and timbre. As much as I enjoyed the SE180 on SEM1, the SEM2 is a whole new experience and sound-wise it just ticks all the boxes. It's very technically capable while also being very enjoyable and musical. Love it with both my EE Nemesis and Aroma Audio W 6.2. Even gave it a try with my ZMF Eikon LTD and it did suprisingly well so if some of you hesitate with buying SEM2, do it while it's still possible!
Coul you elaborate more? Does the bass punchier? More body? How does the high?

Oct 22, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 13
Coul you elaborate more? Does the bass punchier? More body? How does the high?
The bass is both punchier and fuller. On some IEMs with SEM1 I had thefeeling that the mid-bass as somewhat light and the main emphasis was shifted towards the very deep and rumbling sub-bass. On SEM2 while the bass still digs deep, it's also fuller, hits way harder and has much more weight to it. You can feel it in the lower mids too, which are thicker and have more body opposite to the lighter mids ons SEM1. When it comes to highs I feel the SEM2 to be the crispier and sharper of the two, though not sharp by any means. For example my Fiio M11 Plus LTD has sharper and more forwards upper-mids and lower treble compared to SEM2. While the notes appear thicker and bigger on SEM2, with SEM1 sounding very airy and lighter in comparison but also somewhat duller, SEM2 gives you more enjoyable and musical experience with bigger soundstage in both width and depth. For the ultimate bass experience I'd definitely go with SEM2 and now it's my go-to card while SEM1 stays a tiny bit behind mainly when I wanna time my EE Nemesis bass as it's not as powerful and massive, but retains it magnificent layering and technical capabilities.

Jan 22, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #13 of 13
I can't quite understand why this thread has basically no activity at all especially given how great this device is. That is at least in my own opinion.

I have managed to grab a SEM3 card recently and gotta say, with every card this platform is becoming more and more interesting. I've had iBasso DX220 previously but this is in another league of modular design and the latest card throws another extra value to the whole system. So far I've had around 50-60ish hours of burn-in and as much as it was rather mediocre out of the box in terms of "wow-factor", it keeps getting better. After the initial break-in around 30hrs of use (same as with SEM2), it's becoming my fave card of all. It's a bit smoother than SEM2, but at the same same it has this great warmth across the spectrum which I like very much. Gotta do some more comparisons but this thing sounds just so engaging and pleasant to my ear that I could listen to it for hours without any fatigue. SEM2 seems a little bit more "wild" and sharp, with bass that is more tactile and a bit brighter treble. I'm gonna throw some more hours to it and we'll see if there are gonna be any changes when compared directly to other two cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back