Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
Jan 5, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #421 of 592
Today i tried my friends Fiio M17 via DC mode and compared it to my AK stack using the Softears Twilight and boy oh boy. The AK's sounded definitely more refined, with better, smoother hights, more spacious soundstage and even slightly better dynamics.
There is something that AK sound sig does better. More magic, still maintaining a very neutral and natural sound but a more "romantic" and emotional overall sound. The pa10 added this class A smoothness and boldness as opposed to clearly more aggressive and sharp THX Fiio's sound. More refinement but still more excitement to the sound.
Cant get enough of this amazing amp. I know that i paired it with a flagship ak dap but even with other sources, it just sounds brilliant.
Especially the space, with everything pushed away, the soundstage is just purely amazing. There is so much space between instruments but still all the dynamics are kept.

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #424 of 592
I spent several hours today listening to my HiBy RS6 > AK PA10 paired with my Timsok TS-316’s. Great combo! R2R smoothness and the full class A dynamics and richness. Sounded really good. @RIGATIO I’m also a fan of the Twilights and keep them in my rotation, but I’d encourage you to try out the Timsok’s if you get a chance because I’m sure you’d really like them 👍🏻

Jan 6, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #425 of 592
I spent several hours today listening to my HiBy RS6 > AK PA10 paired with my Timsok TS-316’s. Great combo! R2R smoothness and the full class A dynamics and richness. Sounded really good. @RIGATIO I’m also a fan of the Twilights and keep them in my rotation, but I’d encourage you to try out the Timsok’s if you get a chance because I’m sure you’d really like them 👍🏻
I am very interested in this stacking. I am using RS6 with NX7 and I was wondering if PA10 would make the sound too much warm.

Jan 6, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #426 of 592
I am very interested in this stacking. I am using RS6 with NX7 and I was wondering if PA10 would make the sound too much warm.
I suppose the tuning of the iems or headphones you are connecting to the PA10 will make more of the difference, but my initial reaction is “no,” the PA10 paired with an RS6 is not too warm.

I have never heard an NX7, but my guess is it is probably a little more clinical/sterile than you would find with the PA10. I do not say that to knock the Topping amp, but it is just my perception based on what I have heard from other Topping products.

From a value perspective I think the PA10 offers a lot. It adds more fullness, body, and enhanced dynamics to whatever source I’ve plugged into it. The class A power is very well controlled in this amp and it never gets even slightly warm (in temperature). Definitely one of my better portable audio purchases.

For reference I only use it via 4.4mm balanced. A good interconnect is important too to get the best out of it. The one from iFi is probably the best I’ve heard, but I like the one made by Audiophile Ninja too because it’s shorter and has better aesthetics (at least to my taste).

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #427 of 592
I suppose the tuning of the iems or headphones you are connecting to the PA10 will make more of the difference, but my initial reaction is “no,” the PA10 paired with an RS6 is not too warm.

I have never heard an NX7, but my guess is it is probably a little more clinical/sterile than you would find with the PA10. I do not say that to knock the Topping amp, but it is just my perception based on what I have heard from other Topping products.

From a value perspective I think the PA10 offers a lot. It adds more fullness, body, and enhanced dynamics to whatever source I’ve plugged into it. The class A power is very well controlled in this amp and it never gets even slightly warm (in temperature). Definitely one of my better portable audio purchases.

For reference I only use it via 4.4mm balanced. A good interconnect is important too to get the best out of it. The one from iFi is probably the best I’ve heard, but I like the one made by Audiophile Ninja too because it’s shorter and has better aesthetics (at least to my taste).
True, all my headphones (HD650, LCD2C and Radiance) are already on the warmer side and I like warm signature a lot. You are right, NX7 is very neutral, it doesn't color the sound in anyway but amplifying it.

I like warm sounding sources, that's why I ended up getting an RS6 and not looking for an upgrade anytime soon. I will definitely give PA10 a go.

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #428 of 592
PA10 doing a lovely job with IE600.

IMG_0143.jpeg

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #432 of 592
Hi, I consider this for my iems with Mojo 2 and RU7, but now there is also the Xduoo xd05 pro dac/amp.. class A too.. some experiences with both units somebody? many thx guys....

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #435 of 592
One thing to take note if u have high sensitive iems is not really suitable the volume might be abit too loud.

Pa10 all the way, its amazing!
Thanks guys, I have now Xenns Top 25ohm/107dB and Variations 15ohm/118dB and I want to upgrade to monarch MK3 which is 18ohm 99dB (probably the least sensitive). RU7 LO is lower voltage than standard and on mojo 2 I can lower the output too.. so probably it should be OK? Anyvay I dont want to use only first 10 or 15% of volume scale because the chanel imbalance.. do you have some some experiences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back