Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
Nov 18, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #301 of 620
Hello I have two questions

1.I own ak se180 and listen to other ak players. So i like their house sound. Is it worth the buy of ak pa10 driving denon ah d9200 and focal clear professional og?

2.My other question is that I own ibasso dx300 with amp12 so balanced line-out. How is the power rating comparing dx300 amp12 PO and anp12 LO + AK PA10. I ask because amp12 is in mW and ak in Vrms.
Is it more an sonically upgrade or more a side grade?
I want to try the pa10 but am already quiet happy with the ibasso dx300 with amp12 and amp13.

Cheers in advance
Jonathan
Jonathan - Sorry, I probably won't answer you, I listened to equipment similar to yours, I don't know it that well and I didn't compare it 1:1:1
In my opinion and I will always say this.

You are satisfied with the headphones and the DAPs are portable devices
and here we are in a better situation, we can take them with us to an audio salon and listen/test.
Which DAP-AMP-HEADP combination is the best - I predict it will be a marathon with PA10 included.:o2smile:

Nov 18, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #302 of 620
Hello I have two questions

1.I own ak se180 and listen to other ak players. So i like their house sound. Is it worth the buy of ak pa10 driving denon ah d9200 and focal clear professional og?

2.My other question is that I own ibasso dx300 with amp12 so balanced line-out. How is the power rating comparing dx300 amp12 PO and anp12 LO + AK PA10. I ask because amp12 is in mW and ak in Vrms.
Is it more an sonically upgrade or more a side grade?
I want to try the pa10 but am already quiet happy with the ibasso dx300 with amp12 and amp13.

Cheers in advance
Jonathan
Re the PA-10 vs. Amp 12:

Disclaimer: I own A&K PA-10 but do not own an iBasso and can't compare sound signatures.

I've read a few reviews of the Amp 12 and they claim output of PO is 8.3 Vrms. Not exactly sure how that translates to mW but the PA-10's equivalent mW of 6.2Vrms at no load is claimed to be around 1200mW @32Ohms. So, purely from a power rating, you're getting less if you lined-out Amp 12 to PA-10, than just straight out of the Amp 12's bal phone out.

I have a PA-10 and like it, it's a fairly neutral Class A amp that helps drive my harder-to-drive cans in combo with my FiiO M11 Plus ESS and it's all in balanced mode, which was a big selling factor for me. It also has two Gain settings, three current Settings and Crossfeed. As a side grade it might be an interesting combo with the iBasso's line out and it would take some of the strain off your battery. If it was me I probably wouldn't do it if I already had the Amp 12's power and you're happy with it.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #304 of 620
RIGATIO - trying to help you.
I found a review and here's the quote.
"And keep in mind, LO output volume is not fixed, you can adjust it from the DAP"
https://twister6.com/2018/05/25/ak-aultima-sp1000-ss-cu/5/

It's practically Pre-Out - but don't get discouraged.
You bought PA10 - so judge it for yourself - do you think it has significantly improved the sound?

In general, the LineOut output in DAPs with a constant voltage of 2-4V appeared not so long ago.
For example, I had the FIIO M11 Plus Ltd, also on 2xAKM 4497 (similar production period), it has the LineOut mode, but not the earlier M11 and M11Pro.

Another thing is that manufacturers do not provide diagrams on how to obtain LineOut (doesn't the signal pass through the DAP's internal amplifier and potentiometer to increase the voltage because it is easier for them).
We want to replace the internal amplifier only with an external one.

In the LineOut output, the most important thing is that this circuit is as isolated as possible, as short as possible = interference-resistant,
and routed directly from the DACs to an external amplifier, e.g. PA10, also via the shortest possible route (using a good quality interconnect)
and in my opinion it makes sense with balanced LineOut 4.4 to 4.4mm - then there is an effect.

I also corrected the entry above to avoid confusion for others.
The manual contains information that SP1000 has BT 4.1 - you should control it with a simple BT remote control.
SP1000 has BT 4.1 (A2DP, AVRCP, aptX™ HD), in this configuration, the volume can be adjusted using the BT remote control.
It is very convenient, you practically do not touch the knob or the display.
Thanx, yeah i will just try and let my ears do the judgement.
In the review you linked somewhere, the guy uses the pa10 with sp1000 and he seems happy: https://sandalaudio-blogspot-com.tr...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=pl&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Nov 19, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #306 of 620
Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #307 of 620
Does it protrude too far from the your adapter PW?

I haven't seen a short angled 4.4 to 4.4mm interconnect anywhere to buy.
Even if you wanted to do some DIY soldering - I haven't seen .4.4 mm angled plugs too.

In fact, apart from interconnects from companies are most popular and well made are from IFI and Oriolus
PW Audio, Effect Audio (but these 2 are expensive), there are no others why ?

Why A&K doesn't produce them separately, probably everyone would be happy to buy them, it's a strange policy
(for A&K CA1000T - there is also no 2x miniXLR Female to 4.4mm) - I haven't seen any company's offer anywhere.

At the beginning of PA10 sales, interconnect was added for free, but only for the first customers who ordered it.
I do not recommend these interconnects from Ali.. (very poor workmanship) - but they are not at an angle either.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #308 of 620
To connect pa10 to 2.5mm sources, I use Youkamoo 2.5mm right angle to straight angle cable, with DJ44AG 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter connected to straight end. Youkamoo also offers 2.5mm to 4.4mm cables.

For 4.4 sources, I use ddHiFi BC44B 4.4mm to 4.4mm cable.

For 3.5 sources, ddHiFi BC35B 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable.

20231119_210012.jpg

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #309 of 620
Nov 19, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #310 of 620
Thank you guys very much!
I will maybe take the path @povidlo suggests because im using a PW 4.4 adapter for the sp1000. So i could get this ddHiFi BC44B interconnect and then get the 4.4 female to 4.4 male angled adapter which all together will give 4.4 stright male (to plug into PW AK adapter) to angled 4.4 male (to plug into pa10). I hope that this will not bottleneck the overall sound quality.
Dunno, will think later, i need to listen to the pa10 from a standard 3.5 firstly :)

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #311 of 620
Nov 19, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #314 of 620
Thank you guys very much!
I will maybe take the path @povidlo suggests because im using a PW 4.4 adapter for the sp1000. So i could get this ddHiFi BC44B interconnect and then get the 4.4 female to 4.4 male angled adapter which all together will give 4.4 stright male (to plug into PW AK adapter) to angled 4.4 male (to plug into pa10). I hope that this will not bottleneck the overall sound quality.
Dunno, will think later, i need to listen to the pa10 from a standard 3.5 firstly :)

I think you might be reading the recommendation incorrectly.

The ddhifi right angle adapter is a 2.5mm female to 4.4mm male.

4.4mm female to 4.4mm male right angle adapters don't seem to exist.

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #315 of 620
And cheaper! Is there any audible difference in sound?

None.

I have three, these two and a custom Forza Audioworks and they all do the same job.

I am a bit over fussy (read - anal retentive) and I set the PA10 up with whatever cable matches the cable on the IEM or headphone :wink:

GUCraftsman do a very nice job of there cables, they are a long way from a budget offering.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back