Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
Nov 1, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #286 of 620
My PA10 is getting delivered today, will be used alongside the SP3000. Curious to put it through its paces and see what kind of gains can be made.

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #287 of 620
The amp is rather brilliant. Only a few tracks in and I am a convert already.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpeg
    IMG_0101.jpeg
    953.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0100.jpeg
    IMG_0100.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • camphoto_1804928587.jpeg
    camphoto_1804928587.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Nov 2, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #288 of 620
The amp is rather brilliant. Only a few tracks in and I am a convert already.
The beauty and simplicity of a sandwich setup like yours is that the SP3000 itself sounds great and you can always experiment and disconnect the PA10 and listen to other different music tracks and with different sampling without it.
You can only take SP3000 on a trip alone and PA10 will wait at home or take it together with SP3000.

Just remember to turn off "LO" in the DAP and turn on "PO" - because with the "LO" setting you have power there - you can damage your headphones and ears.

PS.The SP3000 and PA10 sandwich is my goal set.:L3000:

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #289 of 620
IMG_0106.jpeg

Nov 8, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #290 of 620
Anybody got a PA10 vs C9 or PA10 vs NX7/G5 impressions? Thanks

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #291 of 620
Have the PA10. It sounds reasonable (mainly after some 50-100 hours of burn-in). But still, something is missing. For me, it lacks dynamics.
I did purchase the Aroma A100TB which is way more dynamic and lively with a great stage. Have a look here for a comparison with the C9 and at the comments, area (see below), a refference to the PA10, which I totally agree with.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/aroma-audio-a100tb.25815/

BTW, my "new" PA10, is for sale (with all accessoris, package, still under warranty)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231108_091323_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231108_091323_Chrome.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #292 of 620
Have the PA10. It sounds reasonable (mainly after some 50-100 hours of burn-in). But still, something is missing. For me, it lacks dynamics.
I did purchase the Aroma A100TB which is way more dynamic and lively with a great stage. Have a look here for a comparison with the C9 and at the comments, area (see below), a refference to the PA10, which I totally agree with.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/aroma-audio-a100tb.25815/

BTW, my "new" PA10, is for sale (with all accessoris, package, still under warranty)
To each their own.

Nov 8, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #293 of 620
Yes, I have both C9 and PA10. I’m always using to the C9 vs the PA10 for the tube flavor, but honestly for SS I prefer the AK house sound. I liked the C9 so much I ended up buying the N30LE which is magnificent.

Nov 17, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #294 of 620
Ordered the pa10 today to pair it with the sp1000. Have a couple noob questions tho:
- the sp1000 has LO but when i switch between LO and standard when listen to headphones, it seems like the sound doesnt change much. Also i can still adjust the volume when the LO is turned on. Does it mean that the sp1000 doesnt have a true LO and when paired with the pa10, it will double amp the signal?
- using PW Audio 4.4 adapter with the sp1000 - will it be a true balanced connection when going to 4.4 to the pa10?
- when connecting both devices through 3.5 jacks, will i still benefit from 4.4 mm out on the pa10?

Thank you for any helpful answer in advance!

Nov 17, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #295 of 620
Ordered the pa10 today to pair it with the sp1000. Have a couple noob questions tho:
- the sp1000 has LO but when i switch between LO and standard when listen to headphones, it seems like the sound doesnt change much. Also i can still adjust the volume when the LO is turned on. Does it mean that the sp1000 doesnt have a true LO and when paired with the pa10, it will double amp the signal?
- using PW Audio 4.4 adapter with the sp1000 - will it be a true balanced connection when going to 4.4 to the pa10?
- when connecting both devices through 3.5 jacks, will i still benefit from 4.4 mm out on the pa10?

Thank you for any helpful answer in advance!

RIGATIO - These aren't bad questions at all.

Hardly anyone is interested in this and it can damage the equipment!
Check the specifications on the A&K A&K SP1000 website
Balanced socket/plug 2.5mm - 4 supported poles

A&K DAPs that have sockets 4,4
Balanced socket/plug 4.4mm - 5 supported poles

It is for this purpose that the PW 4.4mm adapter is purchased
To download from the second 3.5mm socket - the missing 5th field

If you can still adjust the volume from the DAP
then it works as a preamplifier. (SP 1000 probably does not have LineOut)

This is not a disadvantage at all, you can set the volume halfway on PA10 and only control the volume from SP1000.
On its own, the SP1000 is a nice DAP - but it has some limitations.

The question is whether the SP1000 is good at providing a clean signal without the amplifier - probably not,
because you adjust the volume with a knob behind the internal amplifier.
In the normal LO output from DAP you have a constant voltage, e.g. 4V.
PA10 tolerates 2Vrms and 4Vrms at the input.

Pay attention to the diagram of the new Kann Ultra DAP it has these 3 circuits
isolated, dedicated to the PO, LineOut and PreOut tracks its this is a good diagram on the website A&K Ultra to understand it

As extra=
SP1000 has BT 4.1 (A2DP, AVRCP, aptX™ HD), in this configuration, the volume can be adjusted using the BT remote control.
It is very convenient, you practically do not touch the knob or the display.

Answer for your last quastion- from Manual A&K PA10
Output is possible only with earphones or headphones
that have the same specifications as the input port.
※ When input through the [4.4 mm Balanced Audio Input] port,
output only through the [4.4 mm Balanced Phone Out] port
※ When input through the [3.5 mm Unbalanced Audio Input] port,
output only through the [3.5 mm Unbalanced Phone Out] port

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #296 of 620
RIGATIO - These aren't bad questions at all.

Hardly anyone is interested in this and it can damage the equipment!
Check the specifications on the A&K A&K SP1000 website
Balanced socket/plug 2.5mm - 4 supported poles

A&K DAPs that have sockets 4,4
Balanced socket/plug 4.4mm - 5 supported poles

It is for this purpose that the PW 4.4mm adapter is purchased
To download from the second 3.5mm socket - the missing 5th field

If you can still adjust the volume from the DAP
then it works as a preamplifier. (SP 1000 probably does not have LineOut)

This is not a disadvantage at all, you can set the volume halfway on PA10 and only control the volume from SP1000.
On its own, the SP1000 is a nice DAP - but it has some limitations.

The question is whether the SP1000 is good at providing a clean signal without the amplifier - probably not,
because you adjust the volume with a knob behind the internal amplifier.
In the normal LO output from DAP you have a constant voltage, e.g. 4V.
PA10 tolerates 2Vrms and 4Vrms at the input.

Pay attention to the diagram of the new Kann Ultra DAP it has these 3 circuits
isolated, dedicated to the PO, LineOut and PreOut tracks its this is a good diagram on the website A&K Ultra to understand it

As extra=
It's a pity that the SP1000 doesn't have BT, because in such a configuration where the SP1000 is a preamplifier, you could adjust the volume with a BT remote control.
It's very convenient, you practically don't touch the display.

Answer for your last quastion- from Manual A&K PA10
Output is possible only with earphones or headphones
that have the same specifications as the input port.
※ When input through the [4.4 mm Balanced Audio Input] port,
output only through the [4.4 mm Balanced Phone Out] port
※ When input through the [3.5 mm Unbalanced Audio Input] port,
output only through the [3.5 mm Unbalanced Phone Out] port
WOW thank you for this detailed asnwer!
What if i just set the LO on the sp1k and turn the volume to the max and then control from the pa10? Will it be a worse scenario than doing like you described?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #297 of 620
If you set LO/ if you have this future LO in SP1000 ??.This option is dedicated scenario for connect to PA10.Be careful set LO Volume Voltage changed automaticly to max !.At this momrnt volume control is from PA10 .Do not connect your Headphone when you set at any DAPs for LO= Volume MAX ,only interconect for ext.amp like... PA10 or diferent.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #298 of 620
If you set LO/ if you have this future LO in SP1000 ??.This option is dedicated scenario for connect to PA10.Be careful set LO Volume Voltage changed automaticly to max !.At this momrnt volume control is from PA10 .Do not connect your Headphone when you set at any DAPs for LO= Volume MAX ,only interconect for ext.amp like... PA10 or diferent.
It doesnt set the volume to max when the LO is turned on. Thats why im asking if the sp1000 LO is a real LO. I can control the volume when LO is triggered. But yes, the sp1k has LO

Nov 18, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #299 of 620
Hello I have two questions

1.I own ak se180 and listen to other ak players. So i like their house sound. Is it worth the buy of ak pa10 driving denon ah d9200 and focal clear professional og?

2.My other question is that I own ibasso dx300 with amp12 so balanced line-out. How is the power rating comparing dx300 amp12 PO and anp12 LO + AK PA10. I ask because amp12 is in mW and ak in Vrms.
Is it more an sonically upgrade or more a side grade?
I want to try the pa10 but am already quiet happy with the ibasso dx300 with amp12 and amp13.

Cheers in advance
Jonathan

Nov 18, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #300 of 620
RIGATIO - trying to help you.
I found a review and here's the quote.
"And keep in mind, LO output volume is not fixed, you can adjust it from the DAP"
https://twister6.com/2018/05/25/ak-aultima-sp1000-ss-cu/5/

It's practically Pre-Out - but don't get discouraged.
You bought PA10 - so judge it for yourself - do you think it has significantly improved the sound?

In general, the LineOut output in DAPs with a constant voltage of 2-4V appeared not so long ago.
For example, I had the FIIO M11 Plus Ltd, also on 2xAKM 4497 (similar production period), it has the LineOut mode, but not the earlier M11 and M11Pro.

Another thing is that manufacturers do not provide diagrams on how to obtain LineOut (doesn't the signal pass through the DAP's internal amplifier and potentiometer to increase the voltage because it is easier for them).
We want to replace the internal amplifier only with an external one.

In the LineOut output, the most important thing is that this circuit is as isolated as possible, as short as possible = interference-resistant,
and routed directly from the DACs to an external amplifier, e.g. PA10, also via the shortest possible route (using a good quality interconnect)
and in my opinion it makes sense with balanced LineOut 4.4 to 4.4mm - then there is an effect.

I also corrected the entry above to avoid confusion for others.
The manual contains information that SP1000 has BT 4.1 - you should control it with a simple BT remote control.
SP1000 has BT 4.1 (A2DP, AVRCP, aptX™ HD), in this configuration, the volume can be adjusted using the BT remote control.
It is very convenient, you practically do not touch the knob or the display.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back