Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
Jul 16, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #106 of 590
So how was your experience with mojo 2 in the mix? I am currently using it with UM Mest Mkii and was wondering what kind of improvements will adding PA10 bring to the table? I love the DSP on Mojo 2 maybe PA10 can add a bit of magic on top?. Also Mojo2 is single ended only so if I feed PA10 single ended only will it have enough juice to drive full size headphones like Hifiman Xs, Sennheiser 6xx, lcx x ?

No body is reviewing this amp I could only find 1 review in total from trusted websites
When I use Mojo 2 standalone I usually use DSP +1 or +2 lower and upper bass. With PA10 in the mix I don’t use DSP on Mojo 2 as this little amp adds sufficient ‘weight’ to the sound without bass becoming bloathed or overbearing. That Chord sound signature still comes through (same for any dongle like RU7 in LO mode). I only have iem and Grado on ear. All these are fine with low gain but I think that high gain on PA10 should be fine with more demanding hp.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #107 of 590
Very early days for me with the PA10 but it powers HD800S.
Mojo 2 is a great pairing.
I find it funny there’s no review s of this amp.
It might be a case of it being too cheap to be taken seriously?

So far I have tried it with 4 cheaper dongle dac things and a Mojo 2 and it improved all of them.

I’m not in the habit of hyping things or recommending them with out first trying them but this ???
Yeah / maybe?
I’m still in the honeymoon period and have still to connect it balanced from a desktop dac but it sounds far better than I imagined it would.

Single ended fed from Mojo 2 it betters my Vorzuge Pure ii+.
Not a fair fight I know as the PA10 is at least 4x the weight and 3 x the size.

Build quality is outstanding.
Volume control simply wonderful.
Take this all with a pinch of salt as usual as it just my take.
Shall post more once I have some more hours on it but for now I’m very pleased with it.

Well done AK.
Thanks for getting back and I think they have done a wonderful job....I don't know if I will be able to try this before buying but my IEMs love good amplification and since you're driving HD 800S single ended I'd say it has enough juice already. Please keep posting updates especially how it's behaving around Mojo and a bit of DSP if possible

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #108 of 590
Anyone used it as desktop amp? How does it compare to other desktop amps?

Jul 17, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #109 of 590
When I use Mojo 2 standalone I usually use DSP +1 or +2 lower and upper bass. With PA10 in the mix I don’t use DSP on Mojo 2 as this little amp adds sufficient ‘weight’ to the sound without bass becoming bloathed or overbearing. That Chord sound signature still comes through (same for any dongle like RU7 in LO mode). I only have iem and Grado on ear. All these are fine with low gain but I think that high gain on PA10 should be fine with more demanding hp.
is it a good pairing with ru7?

Jul 17, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #110 of 590
is it a good pairing with ru7?
Yes, certainly to my ears. The RU7 having a decent LO really makes a difference compared to my other dongles who don’t have that. I also find that RU7 LO + PA10 beats sr35 LO + PA10. Further expanded soundstage stands out…

Jul 17, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #111 of 590
Yes, certainly to my ears. The RU7 having a decent LO really makes a difference compared to my other dongles who don’t have that. I also find that RU7 LO + PA10 beats sr35 LO + PA10. Further expanded soundstage stands out…
Seems like you have a good amount or portable sources to test PA10 and like we discussed before I am quite interested in how it pairs with mojo 2 but just want to know if there's anything in the chain that performs better than mojo 2 with PA10 in your testing/opinion thus far?

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #112 of 590
Seems like you have a good amount or portable sources to test PA10 and like we discussed before I am quite interested in how it pairs with mojo 2 but just want to know if there's anything in the chain that performs better than mojo 2 with PA10 in your testing/opinion thus far?
Depends if you need/want Mojo 2 DSP feature. Personally I find that RU7 has a touch more air and soundstage but a locked sound signature so Mojo 2 gives you some tuning flex in return.

Jul 18, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #114 of 590
I wonder, why at such a price, A&K did not include a short 4.4mm interconnect cable. ☹️
Yes It's strange, but even more mysterious is why they don't sell own Astell & Kern Interconet 4.4mm to 4.4mm?
Unless someone's brother-in-law works and produces such an interconnect at IFI-Audio :smile_phones: ,only such an interconnect is present in all marketing photographs.

Jul 19, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #115 of 590
Just received the PA10 today, OOTB, sounds great with the RU7 (LO), connected to either Fir Xe6 or Focal Stellia.
Class A softens the sound a bit (compared to a direct connection of my headphone/iem to the RU7 balanced out). Do you experience the same with your source ?

On balanced connection, the impact of the Current switch is almost not felt. On SE connection it has a very small impact. Can someone elaborate on that.

After burnin, which sounds better to you, Balanced or SE?

Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #116 of 590
My Dignis case arrived. Very happy, high quality case. Took about 3 weeks from order to delivery (BE customs took about 2 weeks to clear it).

Attachments

• IMG_2849.jpeg
    IMG_2849.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2850.jpeg
    IMG_2850.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2851.jpeg
    IMG_2851.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2852.jpeg
    IMG_2852.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 19, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #118 of 590
That's a good looking case how much did it endup costing you?
About 150 EUR including shipping and customs (I asked the vendor to lower the value to 25 EUR on the waybill).

Jul 23, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #119 of 590
Anyone used it as desktop amp? How does it compare to other desktop amps?
I have two desktop Class A amps [Sugden Headmaster and a Rebel Amp). This A&K PA10 I just picked up sounds fantastic.
Very similar sound to the Sugden and Rebel amp. It has great note weight and texture.
However, I find the Sugden has just a bit more of the holographic signature component.
I’m very happy with the PA10!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back