Astell&Kern Launches KANN Ultra DAP and AK HB1 Bluetooth Amp/DAC
Dec 31, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #346 of 465
In the New Year, I wish for love in our hearts to be stronger than hatred, and for every note of music to be a manifestation of that desire – the desire for peace, understanding, and unity.

May the melody of our lives play notes of understanding and empathy, so that current conflicts give way to reconciliation, allowing those caught within them to return home and cherish the love of their families accompanied by the tranquil music.

At this moment when people worldwide are engaged in conflicts, I wish for politicians to tune into the harmony of music, reminding them that people desire love, peace, and the warmth of home, not wars and bloodshed.

I wish for all of us that the year 2024 brings not only the beauty of melodies but also a true chord of peace resonating in the hearts of every individual.
Happy New Year !.
Peter
Amen Brother

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #348 of 465
Can anyone confirm the wifi speed the Ultra dap us able to achieve?

My se300 only hit max 56mbps ... such disappointment, occasionally affecting my tidal playback.
I had issues with the Kann Ultra's wifi and it contributed to me sending the unit back for a refund, I didn't manage to measure the speed but it made Tidal drop out semi regularly which became annoying fast. I had to use the pull down menu to turn the wifi off for a few seconds and then back on again for the bars to show up. I don't have such issues with the Cayin N7 using it in the exact same way / distance I had been using the Ultra.

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #349 of 465
I had issues with the Kann Ultra's wifi and it contributed to me sending the unit back for a refund, I didn't manage to measure the speed but it made Tidal drop out semi regularly which became annoying fast. I had to use the pull down menu to turn the wifi off for a few seconds and then back on again for the bars to show up. I don't have such issues with the Cayin N7 using it in the exact same way / distance I had been using the Ultra.
Same as mine se300, occasionally wifi drop off. Encounter this in different places, different wifi router.

Can't understand why none of my chifi dap have this issue.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #351 of 465
As you know, I have had Kann Ultra since its premiere.
I have never had a problem with the transfer or WiFi connection, either on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz.

I have never had any problems with Spotify.
But I noticed that in Tidal, very niche songs? by little-known artists ?, old playlists?.this version song/album in Tidal?
sometimes stop and spin but do not play, but pressing the next song from the list plays it correctly.
Often, when copying large playlists to Tidal, a message appears that these songs cannot be transferred at this time.
As if the songs lost their copyrights in Tidal?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #352 of 465
I also haven't noticed any problems with WiFi connection.

However I find it very bizarre that in dac mode it refuses to charge when connected to pc, but has no problem sucking phone or tablet battery dry. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I also second what @123peter said about occasional lack of sound, however in my case it happens when changing playlists ( starting song from diferen playlist,while it still plays track from previous one).

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #353 of 465
As you know, I have had Kann Ultra since its premiere.
I have never had a problem with the transfer or WiFi connection, either on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz.

I have never had any problems with Spotify.
But I noticed that in Tidal, very niche songs? by little-known artists ?, old playlists?.this version song/album in Tidal?
sometimes stop and spin but do not play, but pressing the next song from the list plays it correctly.
Often, when copying large playlists to Tidal, a message appears that these songs cannot be transferred at this time.
As if the songs lost their copyrights in Tidal?
Same and that happens on other players too.
I think it's a Tidal related issue

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #354 of 465
How I spent the last day of 2023:

Morning breakfast:

Artist: Norah Jones
Song: "Sunrise"
Scenario: I wake up in the morning, greeted by the music of Norah Jones - "Sunrise". I sit down to breakfast and listen to this song, enjoying the morning peace.

Noon / Lunch:
Artist: Jack Johnson
Song: "Banana Pancakes"
Scenario: Lunch time. I ate something light, maybe banana pancakes, while listening to Jack Johnson and his song about banana pancakes.

Afternoon tea:
Artist: Ed Sheeran
Song: "Tea and Toast"
Scenario: In the afternoon I made tea and prepared toast. Sitting comfortably with a cup of tea, I immerse myself in the melody of Ed Sheeran.

Twilight snack:
Artist: Frank Sinatra
Song: "Dinner Time"
Scenario: Evening comes, time for an evening snack. I sat down at the table for a moment of peace and a tasty meal, accompanied by Frank Sinatra's voice in the song "Supper Time".

Dinner by candlelight:
Artist: Sade
Song: "Cherry Pie"
Scenario: In the evening, during a candlelight dinner, I enjoy a delicious meal while the sounds of Sade singing "Cherry Pie" play in the background.

You might ask what's so special about these famous artists and famous songs?
Yes, but I ate these meals with these artists live!
, thanks to the recently purchased Sennheiser HD800s headphones, which,
combined with the Astell & Kern Kann Ultra DAP and A&K PA10, created an amazing hyper-realistic soundscape!

The vocal realism, holography and depth of sound were so authentic that artists I admire sounded as if they were right next to me. It was almost like meeting them in person. The music was so spacious and realistic that I felt like I was in the heart of a live concert.

These headphones offered me a unique audiophile experience, opening the door to extraordinary sound quality. It was like a journey through every note, every sound that surrounded me in such an authentic way that it transported me to a completely different world."

The audiophile experience provided by these devices was extremely immersive and allowed me to fully immerse myself in the music and feel the presence of my favorite artists.
It's 2 hours to midnight and I don't know if I should watch the fireworks in the sky in person or meet Katy Perry and listen to the song Firework.

As always, I do not encourage you to buy, but to test-listen to the Sennheiser HD800s with Kann Ultra or Ultra+PA10 - both options sound phenomenal.

Maybe you will have similar feelings as me - I hope so.

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #357 of 465
Hello there!

Being an owner of Kann Ultra for almost a week I feel I have to share some thoughts about issues I'm facing (especially with official representative).

As I mostly use Kann Ultra as a DAC with a desktop headphone amplifier I’m facing the following issues:
1. The player doesn’t save the line output setting. After turning it off and on again it resets “Pre/Line-out” setting to “Pre”-mode.
2. When I start a song manually (which is 99% of cases) the first second of a song often sounds very distorted (it's like kind of a distorted "click" sound) or just disappears. Perhaps this is due to the fact that when a song ends the player turns off the line-out after a couple of seconds.

Also some other notes:
- When I tap on a song to play, the main screen doesn't open automatically.
- When I tap on the “back” button while volume screen is displayed this screen doesn't close.
- It would be great if there was an alternative version of the main playing screen with a bigger album artwork. It looks too small compared to the size of the screen.

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #359 of 465
Hello there!

Being an owner of Kann Ultra for almost a week I feel I have to share some thoughts about issues I'm facing (especially with official representative).

As I mostly use Kann Ultra as a DAC with a desktop headphone amplifier I’m facing the following issues:
1. The player doesn’t save the line output setting. After turning it off and on again it resets “Pre/Line-out” setting to “Pre”-mode.
2. When I start a song manually (which is 99% of cases) the first second of a song often sounds very distorted (it's like kind of a distorted "click" sound) or just disappears. Perhaps this is due to the fact that when a song ends the player turns off the line-out after a couple of seconds.

Also some other notes:
- When I tap on a song to play, the main screen doesn't open automatically.
- When I tap on the “back” button while volume screen is displayed this screen doesn't close.
- It would be great if there was an alternative version of the main playing screen with a bigger album artwork. It looks too small compared to the size of the screen.

It's a well-thought-out concept to start with PreOut and not LineOut each time you turn it on
imagine what could happen if you made a mistake by plugging in the headphones using the "remembered setting" and driving 4V to the Ultra output and not the headphone output. This is very dangerous for the headphones and hearing.

Try to tap but not hit the "power pyramid", more on its left or right side

Jan 2, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #360 of 465
It's a well-thought-out concept to start with PreOut and not LineOut each time you turn it on
imagine what could happen if you made a mistake by plugging in the headphones using the "remembered setting" and driving 4V to the Ultra output and not the headphone output. This is very dangerous for the headphones and hearing.
Got it! Never thought about it.
Try to tap but not hit the "power pyramid", more on its left or right side
Thank you! I would never have thought that it would work this way. I was expecting standard android behavior where the “back” button is applied to whatever is currently in focus on the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back