Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jan 18, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #1,351 of 2,204
is the kann cube able to play any video files imported on to it - even if it’s just the audio part?

or is it possible through any work around?

Jan 18, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #1,352 of 2,204
thecrow, just curious, are you using the 3.5mm or 2.5mm output?

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Jan 18, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #1,353 of 2,204
Jan 18, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #1,354 of 2,204
My KC sounds quite full and wide (in soundstage) with the Hifiman He 1000SE, but relatively lean and "struggling" (or "held back") with the LCD-4, with both cans connected in 2.5mm balanced mode. I mean that the KC can drive the LCD-4 adequately (to decent levels of loudness) and even showcase some of its relatively wide soundstage, but I can also tell that the LCD-4 is not performing at its optimal best at any of the KC's settings. In balanced mode, the HeKSE rocks hard and full at the 110-12 volume marks, whereas the LCD-4 leaves something to be desired, even at the 125 volume mark, and shows little to no improvement at 130. My sense is that the 200 ohm impedance (and 96db sensitivity) of the LCD-4 makes it harder for the KC to optimize its performance, whereas the Hifiman He 1000SE's specs of 35 Ohms, and 97db sensitivity, are just what the Doctor ordered. It is still a bit too early, in less than one month of ownership, for me to draw hard and fast conclusions, but if this analysis is accurate, then "full" or "not full" might depend on the specs of the headphone. As in almost every evaluation of this kind, the more accurate answer would lie in synergy, Imho.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #1,355 of 2,204
I’ve read some reviews describing the cube’s sound as full

my first impressions do not have me thinking the sound is particularly full/big

did others here think the same before this character developed with burn-in?

if anything my first impression has me describing the mids as slightly restrained and not particularly big and the sound overall quite clean

No doubt that’s also me getting adjusted to the new sound v my desktop setup (auralic taurus and woo wa2 with a metrum nos hex dac)

Thanks in advance
Hmmm... I am curious what IEM or Headphone you are listening to? For a powerful DAP, the background should be dark and the sound is controlled and without color. There is a smoothness, which maybe what you are referring as restrained mids. Reminds me of an AK house sound, but allows the details and stage to shine through. The Cube presents music and does not impede the signature of the IEM or HP you are using. For example, the Solaris has a very wide and holographic stage and the Cube doesn't enhance that or hinder.

The point about the Cube that I feel isn't mentioned enough is it has the SQ and power of a desktop amp, but to boot is your DAP. A true all-in-one.

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #1,357 of 2,204
Why is 4.4mm better? Forgive the ignorance...
People love to debate this. IMO: the smallest bit of metal in the audio chain may be in the DAP or in the headphone but it is unlikely to be in the cable or at the 2.5mm or 4.4mm connector. Some people break their 2.5mm connections and believe that 4.4 is "of course" better (not to start a flame with udesign48 as I don't know his/her experience on this). I suppose only the headphone cable manufacturers know for sure and I doubt they will tell us. When it comes to audio quality, the KANN CUBE (KC) seems to be best in class. I suppose that when someone makes a DAP like the KC with a 4.4mm connector, and it sounds the same or better, we may have something significant to talk about.

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #1,358 of 2,204
2.5mm vs. 4.4mm is a matter of preference. Both are balanced connections. I have been part of the 2.5mm group for so long it would be difficult to switch, however I do have a 4.4mm to 2.mm adapter laying around. The advantage to 4.4mm is it is a larger conne for, less frail I guess. I have used 2.5mm for as long as I can remember and have only had one fatality on the 2.5mm connector end. AK uses 2.5mm and Sony loves 4.4mm, and 4.4mm is starting to become adopted in more players. The majority of the DAPs I have are 3.5mm and 2.5mm.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #1,360 of 2,204
For a powerful DAP, the background should be dark and the sound is controlled and without color. There is a smoothness, which maybe what you are referring as restrained mids. Reminds me of an AK house sound, but allows the details and stage to shine through. The Cube presents music and does not impede the signature of the IEM or HP you are using. For example, the Solaris has a very wide and holographic stage and the Cube doesn't enhance that or hinder.

The point about the Cube that I feel isn't mentioned enough is it has the SQ and power of a desktop amp, but to boot is your DAP. A true all-in-one.
I agree that the sound is controlled and smooth. With great nuances.
A very versatile device
And i do agree with what you wrote

perhaps when i read phrases in reviews like “The sound is full bodied, dynamic and powerful” i have a different understanding of that than some reviewers. I would modify that description - but hey that’s me.

i too feel it does not add much colour and does not hinder the sound - whereas i get a bit more colour and roundness in tone (fullness) from my desktop setup. It did take me a couple of days to adjust to the kann cube and “let go” of my usual sound expectations - ie enjoy what if gives without comparing .

Jan 18, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #1,361 of 2,204
I like this ongoing conversation about Cube vs desktop, as I was always curious if the Cube is a match to a desktop setup. It looks more and more likely that I will have to try myself, when I have the opportunity. Any additional and opinion is still welcome.

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #1,362 of 2,204
I like this ongoing conversation about Cube vs desktop, as I was always curious if the Cube is a match to a desktop setup. It looks more and more likely that I will have to try myself, when I have the opportunity. Any additional and opinion is still welcome.
I think the cube as a desktop dac/amp/preamp that is also portable/transportable is A great option if the sound suits you.

Like a swiss army knife. Jack of all trades.

But there are many other options/combos if you only want a desktop version

Jan 18, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #1,363 of 2,204
Here's one thing I am not sure about, and maybe someone could enlighten me about it : does the KC pose any problem of "double-amping" when connected to an external amp though the 5-pin XLR output port? Another way of asking the same question is whether the on-board amp is in anyway active when it is connected that way to an external amp. I plan to use it (sometimes) with a pair of powered monitors in my office, and that is why I ask. I know I cannot use the volume dial on the KC to control the volume of the speakers (at least, not ideally), and that is really not the concern I have.

By the way, I shall report back about its performance with those powered speakers when I use it in that capacity.

Jan 18, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #1,364 of 2,204
Here's one thing I am not sure about, and maybe someone could enlighten me about it : does the KC pose any problem of "double-amping" when connected to an external amp though the 5-pin XLR output port? Another way of asking the same question is whether the on-board amp is in anyway active when it is connected that way to an external amp. I plan to use it (sometimes) with a pair of powered monitors in my office, and that is why I ask. I know I cannot use the volume dial on the KC to control the volume of the speakers (at least, not ideally), and that is really not the concern I have.

By the way, I shall report back about its performance with those powered speakers when I use it in that capacity.
Does this help?

He says it avoids the headphone amp

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back