Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA 2015)
Feb 26, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #1,141 of 1,190
ALO Audio SPC Litz cable (the stock cable with the Campfire series) works just fine with a nice sold connection abs a good match soundwise (that was with the Mk1).

See my comments on this cable with a Mkii and a Cowon P1  http://www.head-fi.org/t/811963/astell-kern-ak-t8ie-mk-impressions-and-discussions-thread/60#post_13212709

I felt the stock mkii cable superior to the ALO with both the T8ie mkii and the Lyra - certainly in the ergonomics and definitely with the SQ on the Cowon. On the AK70  the stock ergonomics were better but a coin toss on the SQ. Would be interested in a Linum Bax compo to see which cable is more like the Music @ 2.5 ohms and which like the Super Bax @0.75 ohms. 

regards,

Giles

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #1,142 of 1,190
I've ordered two cables from OC studio with the best mmcx plug there is I'll report back once I have them. I think the issue with t8ie isn't from the male side but from the female side which is what is inside the actual IEM body.

I've had minor issue when I use the stock cable of the mkii with my other mmcx IEM.

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #1,143 of 1,190
I've ordered two cables from OC studio with the best mmcx plug there is I'll report back once I have them. I think the issue with t8ie isn't from the male side but from the female side which is what is inside the actual IEM body.

I've had minor issue when I use the stock cable of the mkii with my other mmcx IEM.

The problem lies with both.

As you have hear about my problems with the Xelento.

out of the box cable, R sound cracklys and disconnects, L is OK.

second exchanged cable, same as the first.

third exchange cable, R is ok, but L is loose and turns.

in all case connecting the R male to L females with all cables, the problem is the other way around.

in all case the connection has a soft double click, and not the usual single clean click, a few iem shops advice me to exchange the whole IEM and cable, did just that and it was found that both the female and male has problems, got a replacement, came in a bubble wrap and not a box, this time a much tighter connection for both L and R, although the R side does still have the double click (L has a tight clean single click), connect the cables around L to R and R to L, and the double click is on the L side iem, tried the old cable on the new replacement IEM, and it is very loose.

The replacement I got is perfer alright, whiles the cable on the R side still have a minor problems, but no crackling and not loose, shows it's a cable problem and not the IEM for this new set.

I have asked them to contact me when they get some stock cables in, and at USD 45 each, pretty cheap, and they do sound very similar to the Linum cables, even the Linum cables does not work well with this IEM. After my trip to Japan I will probably pick up a pair of Final Audio Lab II cables, or if they are cheap in Japan I will get it from their.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #1,144 of 1,190
How do they compare to other TOTL like Andromeda and Roxanne ?

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #1,145 of 1,190
Hello,
I own a pair of AK T8iE and used them with a 3rd party MMCX Cable for a few hours. Now one side is kind of dead, even when switching cables it's always the same side
Is there anything I can do about it? Like trying to "tighten" the female inner part?
I have already ordered a new MMCX female socket but I'm not sure replacing it will will be that easy. Does anyone actually know how to open them the best way?

Thanks!

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #1,146 of 1,190
Just tried the Beyer Xelento from CanJam SG. It has more clarity on mid-highs and upper treble compared to t8iemkii. To me it's much more closer to the t1 than the AK model is/was

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #1,147 of 1,190
Just tried the Beyer Xelento from CanJam SG. It has more clarity on mid-highs and upper treble compared to t8iemkii. To me it's much more closer to the t1 than the AK model is/was

I'd be curious to know whether it was actually tuned differently from the AK versions, or whether it is just a cable effect again (which was recently confirmed between between MK1 and MK2).

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #1,149 of 1,190
Both the xelento and MKII has the same cables.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #1,150 of 1,190
Just got an used pair of the AK T8ie MK2 yesterday (risky move, I know, but I managed a pretty sweet deal on it). Immediate impressions compared to the Andromeda are as follow (both are plugged into my ZX2):

- The AK proved to be significantly less sensitive than the Andromeda, requiring about 50% of the volume bar to start sounding good (to my ears) vs. about 1/3 of the Andromeda.
- Slightly more peaky treble compared to the ultra-smooth top end reproduction of the Andro.
- Bass thumped dynamic driver style. Yum! Hit hard and steered clear of the midrange. It just felt more "organic" for the lack of a better word with all that power and decay vs. BAs' bass. One of the reasons why I bought the AK, and I'm glad I did.
- Mid was lively, albeit not without some sibilance. The Andro's midrange in comparison just felt more natural and effortless.
- The Andro's soundstage presentation and imaging were better to my ears. It simply felt grander and filled the space in a fuller fashion vs. the AK. Immediately noticeable after switching between the two.
- Packaging wise, the AK blew the Andro out of the water. I'm superficial, and I don't like how my more-than-a-grand product came inside a cardboard box.
- Boy was the AK a head turner. I got a bunch of people heaping praises on how handsome it was (for some reasons, the folks here just don't like the look of the Andro, I personally think that green shells make for quite a peculiar sense of beauty)
- Overall sound-wise I'd say the Andro was, to me, like a more mature tuning of the AK. Smoother, safer, good at everything vs. more lively, more energy, more exciting. Your pick really. If I absolutely have to choose one out of the two, I'd go for the Andro, but the AK is pretty special by itself. Factor in the price difference and everything and it'd be a pretty tough pick. Shame on that guarantee policy of the AK. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #1,151 of 1,190
  Just got an used pair of the AK T8ie MK2 yesterday (risky move, I know, but I managed a pretty sweet deal on it). Immediate impressions compared to the Andromeda are as follow (both are plugged into my ZX2):

- The AK proved to be significantly less sensitive than the Andromeda, requiring about 50% of the volume bar to start sounding good (to my ears) vs. about 1/3 of the Andromeda.
- Slightly more peaky treble compared to the ultra-smooth top end reproduction of the Andro.
- Bass thumped dynamic driver style. Yum! Hit hard and steered clear of the midrange. It just felt more "organic" for the lack of a better word with all that power and decay vs. BAs' bass. One of the reasons why I bought the AK, and I'm glad I did.
- Mid was lively, albeit not without some sibilance. The Andro's midrange in comparison just felt more natural and effortless.
- The Andro's soundstage presentation and imaging were better to my ears. It simply felt grander and filled the space in a fuller fashion vs. the AK. Immediately noticeable after switching between the two.
- Packaging wise, the AK blew the Andro out of the water. I'm superficial, and I don't like how my more-than-a-grand product came inside a cardboard box.
- Boy was the AK a head turner. I got a bunch of people heaping praises on how handsome it was (for some reasons, the folks here just don't like the look of the Andro, I personally think that green shells make for quite a peculiar sense of beauty)
- Overall sound-wise I'd say the Andro was, to me, like a more mature tuning of the AK. Smoother, safer, good at everything vs. more lively, more energy, more exciting. Your pick really. If I absolutely have to choose one out of the two, I'd go for the Andro, but the AK is pretty special by itself. Factor in the price difference and everything and it'd be a pretty tough pick. Shame on that guarantee policy of the AK. 

What is it about the warranty.

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #1,153 of 1,190
I've got Chord Hugo 2 on order and I would not swap out the AKT8ie for anything because of the sound.  I care about the comfort, but would have been willing to adjust to anything with such clarity, but for me, it is all about the sound quality.  Although they are nice looking, it doesn't mean much to me.  If they appeared clunky and awkward, as long as they had this quality and were comfortable, I'd love 'em.  

I am excited about the Chord Hugo 2.  If something happened to my AK T8ie's, I'd replace them with the same.  

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #1,154 of 1,190
  I've got Chord Hugo 2 on order and I would not swap out the AKT8ie for anything because of the sound.  I care about the comfort, but would have been willing to adjust to anything with such clarity, but for me, it is all about the sound quality.  Although they are nice looking, it doesn't mean much to me.  If they appeared clunky and awkward, as long as they had this quality and were comfortable, I'd love 'em.  

I am excited about the Chord Hugo 2.  If something happened to my AK T8ie's, I'd replace them with the same.  

Hope nothing goes wrong, but some owners do post that they prefer the subtly different tuning of the xelento.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #1,155 of 1,190
Hope nothing goes wrong, but some owners do post that they prefer the subtly different tuning of the xelento.

I had a listen to the Xelentos at a shop. The difference is clearly there. I agree with most of the reviews I have read. Those who like xelento appreciate its better extension on highs and separation while T8ie mk2 lovers embrace the focused mids and enveloping ambience that the mids to lows contribute. It's what suits best for one's music preference at the end of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back