Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA 2015)
Oct 12, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #916 of 1,190
Mmm.....looking forward to your review of the Mk IIs specially when compared with the first model.

Unfortunately I don't have the MKI. I was extremely taken by it at trade shows, but didn't have the dosh at the time, and by the time I did, was worried by the support/build reports. That aside, MKII is over the top my favourite earphone of the year, with one of my least favourite carrying boxes. 

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #917 of 1,190
Unfortunately I don't have the MKI. I was extremely taken by it at trade shows, but didn't have the dosh at the time, and by the time I did, was worried by the support/build reports. That aside, MKII is over the top my favourite earphone of the year, with one of my least favourite carrying boxes. 

I agree with you regarding the tuning bur to me twf41 isn't far off and the treble to me is better on the radius than mkii.

Oct 12, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #918 of 1,190
I agree with you regarding the tuning bur to me twf41 isn't far off and the treble to me is better on the radius than mkii.

The TWF41 is incredible. Oddly, the 31 is a bit more my style, but the layering in the TWF41 is beyond words. Still, it is awkward, ugly, and feels and looks cheap. If that sound would fit into a beautiful, comfy body like the mkii, great. If it were a nicer engineered earphone (overall), I'd put it among my top for this year.

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #919 of 1,190
Great IEM but horrible after market service from both AK and Beyer, as such I can never recommend it no matter how good it sounds.

I seem to remember that you had one of the early Mk 2 fail quite soon.
Did you manage to get a replacement, or did you receive such poor after market service, that AK and Beyer are now redemption?

I am genuinely curious, because I have refrained from buying the Mk 2 because of the quality issues. All the current reports on HeadFi seem ok, but I don't remember reading whether your problems with the Mk 2 got resolved satisfactorily.

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #920 of 1,190

I seem to remember that you had one of the early Mk 2 fail quite soon.
Did you manage to get a replacement, or did you receive such poor after market service, that AK and Beyer are now redemption?

I am genuinely curious, because I have refrained from buying the Mk 2 because of the quality issues. All the current reports on HeadFi seem ok, but I don't remember reading whether your problems with the Mk 2 got resolved satisfactorily.

I didnt bother going through the same thing. Thankfully the problem was not the IEM but the mmcx connector on the IEM. 

However lately the drivers on both side has developed driver flexing upon insertion, experience tells me for a dynamic driver that is normally not a good thing. 

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #921 of 1,190
  I didnt bother going through the same thing. Thankfully the problem was not the IEM but the mmcx connector on the IEM. 

However lately the drivers on both side has developed driver flexing upon insertion, experience tells me for a dynamic driver that is normally not a good thing. 

At least your initial problem wasn't as serious as feared.
I hope that the driver flexing gets no worse.

My alternative option to the AK would have been the SE 846, but there have been several recent reports of the headshells starting to fail at the joints - so I am wary about ordering a pair of those instead.
frown.gif

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #923 of 1,190

Most sealed dynamic driver earphones I've used exhibit driver flex. It's annoying and worrisome, but I've not had troubles. Of course that is anecdotal evidence. 

BTW, I've finished my review of the mkii, which you can read at headfonia.com if you wish.

Oct 13, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #924 of 1,190
Update on my warranty repair saga:

Actually, it wasn't that bad. The girl on the phone was very nice and transferred me to the manager of RMA dept. All he asked me to email him the sales receipt and the serial # and what's wrong with my iems. Next day he issued the RMA#. I sent them out to them today.

Let's see how long it will take to get the replacement and will it be version II. I hope.

Oct 13, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #925 of 1,190
Mmm......read the headfonia review. It is as if you are describing what I am hearing out of my T8ie (original version). Very little SQ difference, at least not enough to spring for the MK IIs, except for the better stock cable. Not an issue since I have two 3rd party cables for mine. Iguess I have to wait for the MK III (?).

Oct 13, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #926 of 1,190
In a meantime, I have my back up T8iE's to enjoy.
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #927 of 1,190
Mmm......read the headfonia review. It is as if you are describing what I am hearing out of my T8ie (original version). Very little SQ difference, at least not enough to spring for the MK IIs, except for the better stock cable. Not an issue since I have two 3rd party cables for mine. Iguess I have to wait for the MK III (?).

I didn't have a chance to compare the two back to back. It could be that direct against to the original I would have found differences. So, that is a flaw in my review. Suffice it to say that I dig the T8iE mkii. Do you dislike something in particular about the mki?

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #928 of 1,190
Nathan,

I enjoyed reading your review at Headfonia.com. 

Like others, I have not found anything to compare to the sound quality of the AKT8 ie (though I have not heard the 2nd gen).  Also like others, I replaced the cable (upgrade) after, like others (!) finding the manufacturing issue. 

Like others, the "Telsa Technology" has blown me away.  For me, it is like having the T1 in portable situations.  I have gone on lengthy flights without removing the T8 from my ears, even when the music is turned off, with no discomfort.  Though I attribute the lack of listener fatigue to the quality of the music's output (Chord Mojo, T8ie) 

As much as I love the AK T8ie, I have almost equal negative passion on how the company has handled the situation.  As this is an extremely expensive item, I, and perhaps many others, would have respected them had they simply told what went wrong and assured us that replacement would be made regardless of whether or not our unit showed the problem.  This, alone, would have reduced anxiety and created good will.  

We then got tossed back and forth between the manufacturer, German Beyerdynamic, and the seller, Astell & Kern.  About the last thing we wanted to hear was "it's not my job, call the other guy..." response.  I don't know if all of us would have sent in ours for the 2nd generation or not, but even with the initial losses for the company, one can only imagine the emotional impact of brand loyalty it would have created.  Think "Chord" with its Mojo.  Whether or not you have tried the Mojo, just looking at the Mojo thread's size alone tells you how much of an impact this product has had on the consumer.  That the head of the company and the engineer behind the Mojo have posted on Head-fi is enough to win anyone's loyalty.  See also the example of the Schiit owners and their willingness to communicate with their customers.  People appreciate this personal touch.  

I don't think Astell & Kern could show any less interest in us as they have.  My conversation with the man who runs the warranty department in the US revealed that he was withholding information about the defect; not that he was unaware.  I hope they get the memo and reach out to what really amounts to as a "fan base" of customers who pay premium money for their products. 

​Sound Quality 

The sound quality is such that, in spite of limited funds, my wife and I purchased a second unit.  I felt selfish having such marvelous sound while she did not.  Changing the exterior, back and forth, was not an acceptable response, so we did what we could, and purchased the second unit.  The T8 is that good.  

As you have pointed out, these may be the most comfortable in ear monitors you've ever experienced; me, too!  Yet, I wonder, due to the marvelous sound, that even if it were less than the best in comfort, I would likely still want them.

When the reports of manufacturing defect arose, I began to research what other IEM I might get should my T8 go under, after the warranty expires.  

I have decided that should this happen to us, I will make appeal to Astell & Kern, and implore them to allow me to buy the 2nd generation at a discount, including sending the broken first generation in to them, certified mail, with lengthy appeal.  

Alas I must admit that I am likely to get the 2nd generation even in spite of how poorly A & K has handled this situation.  Your review only solidifies my position.  Your focus on comfort is something I have not spoken or thought much about, as I have been too enthralled with the combination iPhone, Mojo and T8 bringing my old music catalog to life, either through Apple Lossless or Tidal.  I should not forget how hours go by and not only is there no listener fatigue, there is no discomfort within the ears.  The in ear design is perfect. 

Thank you for an investing review.   

Oct 14, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #929 of 1,190
  Nathan,

I enjoyed reading your review at Headfonia.com. 

Like others, I have not found anything to compare to the sound quality of the AKT8 ie (though I have not heard the 2nd gen).  Also like others, I replaced the cable (upgrade) after, like others (!) finding the manufacturing issue. 

Like others, the "Telsa Technology" has blown me away.  For me, it is like having the T1 in portable situations.  I have gone on lengthy flights without removing the T8 from my ears, even when the music is turned off, with no discomfort.  Though I attribute the lack of listener fatigue to the quality of the music's output (Chord Mojo, T8ie) 

As much as I love the AK T8ie, I have almost equal negative passion on how the company has handled the situation.  As this is an extremely expensive item, I, and perhaps many others, would have respected them had they simply told what went wrong and assured us that replacement would be made regardless of whether or not our unit showed the problem.  This, alone, would have reduced anxiety and created good will.  

We then got tossed back and forth between the manufacturer, German Beyerdynamic, and the seller, Astell & Kern.  About the last thing we wanted to hear was "it's not my job, call the other guy..." response.  I don't know if all of us would have sent in ours for the 2nd generation or not, but even with the initial losses for the company, one can only imagine the emotional impact of brand loyalty it would have created.  Think "Chord" with its Mojo.  Whether or not you have tried the Mojo, just looking at the Mojo thread's size alone tells you how much of an impact this product has had on the consumer.  That the head of the company and the engineer behind the Mojo have posted on Head-fi is enough to win anyone's loyalty.  See also the example of the Schiit owners and their willingness to communicate with their customers.  People appreciate this personal touch.  

I don't think Astell & Kern could show any less interest in us as they have.  My conversation with the man who runs the warranty department in the US revealed that he was withholding information about the defect; not that he was unaware.  I hope they get the memo and reach out to what really amounts to as a "fan base" of customers who pay premium money for their products. 

​Sound Quality 

The sound quality is such that, in spite of limited funds, my wife and I purchased a second unit.  I felt selfish having such marvelous sound while she did not.  Changing the exterior, back and forth, was not an acceptable response, so we did what we could, and purchased the second unit.  The T8 is that good.  

As you have pointed out, these may be the most comfortable in ear monitors you've ever experienced; me, too!  Yet, I wonder, due to the marvelous sound, that even if it were less than the best in comfort, I would likely still want them.

When the reports of manufacturing defect arose, I began to research what other IEM I might get should my T8 go under, after the warranty expires.  

I have decided that should this happen to us, I will make appeal to Astell & Kern, and implore them to allow me to buy the 2nd generation at a discount, including sending the broken first generation in to them, certified mail, with lengthy appeal.  

Alas I must admit that I am likely to get the 2nd generation even in spite of how poorly A & K has handled this situation.  Your review only solidifies my position.  Your focus on comfort is something I have not spoken or thought much about, as I have been too enthralled with the combination iPhone, Mojo and T8 bringing my old music catalog to life, either through Apple Lossless or Tidal.  I should not forget how hours go by and not only is there no listener fatigue, there is no discomfort within the ears.  The in ear design is perfect. 

Thank you for an investing review.   

Largely I'm with you re: the hypothetical balancing comfort and sound. I am majorly excited by the AKT8iE because it is so comfy. It sound is spot in in my opinion, though just slightly bassy for some genres, but only just. It is tight, precise, and beautiful. But its comfort is nothing short of astonishing. I've lived with a load of earphones that sound great, but are hard to use, or fatigue after a few hours. The T8 was a revelation from the first moment I tried it and continues to be so.

Because this isn't my earphone, nor my money, I can't say how I would react to guarantee issues, but I can only imagine I would be dully unsatisfied, and certainly emotional, if my repair was handled thus. 

Which is why I hope beyond hope that this 2nd gen is the one that fixes this design. If guarantee issues were exacerbated by the vendor/manufacturer's complicated relationship, that relationship needs to be sorted out and customers who've experienced problems should have their concerns met with the utmost care. 

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #930 of 1,190

Largely I'm with you re: the hypothetical balancing comfort and sound. I am majorly excited by the AKT8iE because it is so comfy. It sound is spot in in my opinion, though just slightly bassy for some genres, but only just. It is tight, precise, and beautiful. But its comfort is nothing short of astonishing. I've lived with a load of earphones that sound great, but are hard to use, or fatigue after a few hours. The T8 was a revelation from the first moment I tried it and continues to be so.

Because this isn't my earphone, nor my money, I can't say how I would react to guarantee issues, but I can only imagine I would be dully unsatisfied, and certainly emotional, if my repair was handled thus. 

Which is why I hope beyond hope that this 2nd gen is the one that fixes this design. If guarantee issues were exacerbated by the vendor/manufacturer's complicated relationship, that relationship needs to be sorted out and customers who've experienced problems should have their concerns met with the utmost care. 

What you mention, like Peter, is exactly why I've put up with the crappy aftersale service: comfort and headphone-like sound.
It sounds crazy, but it's addictive, and you don't even need an amp to power them correctly because they're easy to drive.

The Sirius provide better mids and more extension in the lower bass (in short= they're technically more accurate), but god, the T8iE sound so much more lively with certains music genres.
It is sometimes a bit too boomy for complex progressive tracks, but for pop/rock, it is so much fun (try some Muse tracks for example).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back