Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD Recorder) at Tokyo Headphone Festival
Feb 16, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #887 of 1,018
  can the AK300 handle MQA. Tidal has started to release titles in the format available through their computer app. I'm wondering if the AK300 is able to handle the format.

No AK Dap can play MQA yet. If the hardware is able to handle MQA, I´m certain that AK will definitely make it happen with one of their next Software Updates. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #888 of 1,018
AK300 and Sony Wm1a are about the same price. Anybody tried both?

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #889 of 1,018
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a DAP, some like the AK300, I know is not top of the line but comparing it to the Fiio X1 I own now I know its going to be in a totally different level...

My question is, would this be a good pairing with my He400is? I'm not too pleased with the sound out of my fiio actually it beeing better than my desktop computer output it still like too bright? Sometimes they become harsh, I tested my Macbook pro and the sound is a lot warmer and not harsh but loosing in details and soundstage...

I'm looking for a high end DAP to use as a stand alone music player, I don't want to have an amp and dac for my home and a player for my work, I want a one for all device, that's why I'm looking for this DAPs.

I would like to know how is the coupling with my headphones and how does it compare to the AK70 or older versions of AK player that could be priced similar today...

There are lot of brands, I know, but I'm just starting to look and A&K seems like a premium brand to aim for.

Thanks a lot for any help!!

I am in a similar position to you, I am thinking about ak300 and ak70, have read a lot about both but still not sure I get the differences

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #890 of 1,018
My AK300 just came in yesterday. What I notice so far? Well for one Jriver runs into errors every time I try to sync it with the AK300. And so after screwing around for hours I still can't get it to sync all the way. The sound from what I did get to sync is fabulous BUT I damn near have to max out the volume to get it to play loud enough. I'm using the Klipsch x20i's and they are very efficient so I dont know what the issue is. I'd hate to have to invest yet another 699 just to get this thing loud enough. I'll give it a week to see if I can straighten out the sync issues and low volume issues and then back it goes.

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #891 of 1,018
I run my 320 at around 70~100 depending on the media and I'm pretty sure the 300 and 320 output are close enough (~ around 1.8 vs. 2.1V?)

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #893 of 1,018
I even got to knock the volume to 140 to get it loud enough and that's with a +5db on the EQ.

Odd... what firmware # are you currently running?

Just rechecked the specs btw:
300: 1.98V (SE)
320: 2.2V (SE)

As for your IEMs:
http://images.klipsch.com/X20i_-_Spec_Sheet_635790355542438000.pdf
111dB / 50Ohms shouldn't be a show stopper. When running my 100Ohm 98dB Etys I have to admit the vol is closer to 100~105 but the Etys are much less efficient than yours.

Let us (or the other 300 owners) know what you are able to compare with the 300 @ 140 (example, another DAC, your phone, etc.)

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #894 of 1,018

Odd... what firmware # are you currently running?

Just rechecked the specs btw:
300: 1.98V (SE)
320: 2.2V (SE)

As for your IEMs:
http://images.klipsch.com/X20i_-_Spec_Sheet_635790355542438000.pdf
111dB / 50Ohms shouldn't be a show stopper. When running my 100Ohm 98dB Etys I have to admit the vol is closer to 100~105 but the Etys are much less efficient than yours.

Let us (or the other 300 owners) know what you are able to compare with the 300 @ 140 (example, another DAC, your phone, etc.)

Running the 1.20CM Firmware. And running a Dragonfly Red on my iphone 7 plus was deafining above 80 volume

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #896 of 1,018
I am in the market for a new DAP and cant make my mind up between the AK70 and the AK300.
I do not use my portable gear a lot but this will probably increase so looking to improve on my Sony NWA15.
My portable headphones are the Sennheiser Momentum closed back and my in ears are the Forza Metallo . In time I may upgrade these as they may not be good enough if I buy one of the above.

For home use I have my HE1000 and my home set up, but occasionaly the daughter will be using this and was also wondering whether any of the above DAPs would do a good enough job to drive the above HE1000.  They sound good with the Sony but get to nowhere near the levels I like to listen to.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #897 of 1,018
Running the 1.20CM Firmware. And running a Dragonfly Red on my iphone 7 plus was deafining above 80 volume

I also have the DF Red; it's stupid loud... . Given that it's own DAC specs state an output of 1.8V I have to assume that either AQ added an op-amp at the output stage or more likely, the source is automatically in high-gain mode... (no, I don't really know what I'm saying but fortunately the "Sound Science" members don't come here often...)
Fact: the Red's output level is controlled by the source device whereas the Mojo (for example) controls output levels.
Fact: output attenuation is performed by the DAC chip in all of A&K's DAPs.

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #898 of 1,018
Ok so how does this info help me? lol I gather I'm going to have to spend another 699 just to get higher gain. As far as the JRiver syncing issue goes Im still trying to figure out why the darn thing wants to duplicate every file when I sync and why it wont play 24/352 and why it wont down convert the rate if too high. So I am thinking instead of using JRiver to sync my music Im going to manually add the files right to the SD Card and cut JRiver right out of the picture.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #900 of 1,018
I am in the market for a new DAP and cant make my mind up between the AK70 and the AK300 ... also wondering whether any of the above DAPs would do a good enough job to drive the above HE1000.  They sound good with the Sony but get to nowhere near the levels I like to listen to...

Ok so how does this info help me? lol I gather I'm going to have to spend another 699 just to get higher gain.

Guys, I think you're going death...
eek.gif
    (just kidding
wink.gif
)

I have the 320 - most expensive portable audio device I own and while I love it, it's too expensive for what it does. for those who are satisfied with the output levels of their AK3xx / AK70s *AND* demand an all-in-one solution then I am happy to recommend any of the AK DAPs - they are aesthetically awesome and do a great job of storing and reproducing music. Scale up the AK ladder based on your available sandbox-toys fund...
biggrin.gif

For those that either don't mind a multi-component setup or need loads of volume and own a decent modern Smartphone I would recommend either the Audioquest Dragonfly series or the Chord Mojo. The Mojo (vs. Dragonfly) is of course an entirely different level of quality but it is relatively bulky and needs to be charged often enough (whereas the AudioQuests run off your source devices' power supply), not to mention, heats up and is certainly not a pocket-friendly solution. The designers of Mojo have assured us that it will even drive 600Ohm full cans (although some members have their doubts).

One thing's for sure: I'd just assume sell / return my AK3xx if I had a need for additional amplification; what's the point of an all-in-one if it's not... and who wants to walk around with a 500~600g DAP in their pocket...?!?
blink.gif

Fortunately I do not have said need and I find that the 320 is more than capable of powering my 100Ohm, 98dB-spl Etymotic IEMs to satisfactory levels, not to mention my array of ~32Ohm or less, +100dB-spl transducers...
beerchug.gif

29919567156_5a8d2c523c_b.jpg

~~~

Ref, from A&K's Facebook site:
29926323962_2b29a9e407_o.jpg

29926323472_058f829cbf_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back