Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD Recorder) at Tokyo Headphone Festival
Dec 10, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #856 of 1,018

I was joking, some Australian sense of humour for you. 
wink_face.gif

First times free. 

Alright. 
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #857 of 1,018
I don't know how I feel about my AK300, I feel its a good overall package, the design, UI, build, sound as a whole. But unless I listen to it exclusively sometimes I need to 'try' and enjoy it, and strike me down my iBasso DX90 with its Sabre DACs can sound more detailed or revealing overall. Then on the flip side loses out in areas like refinement. It's hard for me to say 'my gosh, $#&K me, that's amazing!'. More like 'it's good as an overall package'.

For example, I use it as a transport to my Tralucent DacAmp and kind of prefer the sound of that over AK300 headphone out alone. I'll admit I put it up for sale at one stage but took it down.

Kind of in limbo with it atm.
Yeah. I like the A K as transport to the ami ds5 dac thru to koss electrostatics or meze 99 classics. There is a definite bump up in resolution and soundstage.

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #858 of 1,018
Like H2Ofidelity I have some mixed feelings - some days with some music and the right headphone it sounds like one of the best combinations I have heard. Then with other combinations not sure how I feel- I find that the ak100ii and Aune M2 sound good with everything I throw at them , while the ak300 sounds better in some instances to my ears , it seems to be harder to get the right synergy on consistent basis. No doubt this is an impressive player and I have no regrets - just a bit of mixed feelings as well.

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #859 of 1,018
Yeah. I like the A K as transport to the ami ds5 dac thru to koss electrostatics or meze 99 classics. There is a definite bump up in resolution and soundstage.

Like H2Ofidelity I have some mixed feelings - some days with some music and the right headphone it sounds like one of the best combinations I have heard. Then with other combinations not sure how I feel- I find that the ak100ii and Aune M2 sound good with everything I throw at them , while the ak300 sounds better in some instances to my ears , it seems to be harder to get the right synergy on consistent basis. No doubt this is an impressive player and I have no regrets - just a bit of mixed feelings as well.

I was gathering some thoughts last night.

I think my concern is AK300 may not be vibrant enough overall for me. I hear its technical ability, areas like instrument placement and layering on all channels being above my iBasso units and Dac/Amp though its missing some cutting edge in your face detail around its mid-range, I find it becomes more concerning if you're wanting to listen at higher volumes. I hear a slight veil over the mid-range which tires your ears trying to extract detail, vocals being a good example.

Its really only an issue for me at these higher volume levels when seeking a high energy sound, trying to energize myself or listening for pure thrill. I find late at night in bed listening at lower levels I then enjoy it providing I'm just wanting to relax. In saying all this, I do feel a nice presence from the AK300 the way it plays music, it has a nice house sound that draws you into the music, I feel this more than I did with Mojo which personally sounded a little blank to me (although very detailed)

I will also add its such a nice looking unit design wise, very pleasing, this partly makes me hold onto it.

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #862 of 1,018
Anybody knows if AK and Tidal are working in supporting download content from the app?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last I heard Tidal on AK units has no offline support or planning.

I know it :wink:

The question is if they are working on a solution or just they do not care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #863 of 1,018
It's not a matter of care, what's been said is the only offline options is through the Tidals own native app.

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #864 of 1,018
Anyone having issues with Tidal? It's saying that unable to connect to WiFi network when I click on Tidal from the store. My WiFi is clearly working and connected.

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #865 of 1,018
  Anyone having issues with Tidal? It's saying that unable to connect to WiFi network when I click on Tidal from the store. My WiFi is clearly working and connected.

Nevermind, I was logged onto Tidal on my cellphone as well. Quit that and restarted Tidal on AK300 and works fine.

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #866 of 1,018
Nice little review here

https://www.artsexcellence.com/downloads/reviews/astell-kern.ak70-ak300.artsexcellence.english.pdf

It´s exactly how I hear it. AK300 itself sounds at least as good as the AK240, but with the 380amp the AK300 beats the AK240 hands down. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #867 of 1,018
For a special "analog experience" with the AK300 I´d recommend checking this website

https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com

They offer 2 & 4 track open reel recordings in all kinds of digital formats. I just purchased Jimmy Smith´s "The Cat" Soundtrack, and yes, it sounds very analog indeed. I almost forgot how stunning 2 & 4 track machines sound. I bought the DSD128 version, and I much prefer this album over the 24/96 highresaudio version I also own. Highly recommended for those of you, who like me still love analog.

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #869 of 1,018
thats because there is no amp attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back