Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD Recorder) at Tokyo Headphone Festival
Nov 14, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #826 of 1,018
Nov 15, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #827 of 1,018
Hi, noob question here. How do I connect the Ak to an external dac ? I want to send a purely digital stream to my outboard dac. Is it possible? Thanks in advance.

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #828 of 1,018
... How do I connect the Ak to an external dac ...

Don't feel bad I was also confused at first because A&K only has an icon for the function and no actual entry under the main settings section...
blink.gif

You will find the info I posted here - with pictures
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #831 of 1,018
Anybody have experience with repair? Was using it on a flight and now the touch screen will not work after waking it up. It will work on occasion enough where I did a factory reset and no luck. I bought it in June

Nov 19, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #832 of 1,018
On low volumes, can anyone confirm that a clicking noise is present/normal when I change volume with the wheel?

I just found out.... 

Thanks in advance!

Nov 19, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #833 of 1,018
  Looking at their reply to you (Gforce8): "We made AK300 Leather case for iRiver" ...interesting... 
confused.gif

But as noted, the OEM case is awesome. I'm not a big fan of blue per se (my 320 has a black case) but the fit is really impressive. It takes care of two immediate issues; the slippery surface and the sharp corners
wink.gif

Dignis has been solely contracted to iRiver in making their AK leather cases since the AK120 1st gen days, so they are not allowed to sell independently.
The only AK case they do sell independantly is the 1st gen AK100 which was before they got tied in with iRIver :p

Nov 24, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #834 of 1,018
Hello AK300 Owners, just bought the AK300 few weeks ago and loving it so far. Its a step up compared to my previous portable, ibasso dx50 + d14 bushmaster. Currently pairing the AK300 with ATH-IM03 iem, itching to upgrade the iem too (had it for 2 years now).

What IEM would you guys recommend or to look out for?
Pricing of the iem should fall within $500-$1000.

Appreciate all or any input given.

Nov 26, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #836 of 1,018
  Hello AK300 Owners, just bought the AK300 few weeks ago and loving it so far. Its a step up compared to my previous portable, ibasso dx50 + d14 bushmaster. Currently pairing the AK300 with ATH-IM03 iem, itching to upgrade the iem too (had it for 2 years now).

What IEM would you guys recommend or to look out for?
Pricing of the iem should fall within $500-$1000.

Appreciate all or any input given.

May i recommend you this:
- noble savant/sage or django. I've been using this set up, and this 2 are perfect.
- 1964 ears u8 if you like bass, or u12
- of course the JH line angie/rosie/roxxane

just to share to the current owners/potential ak300 owners: I sold my onkyo dpx-1 for this ak300.
So far, i prefer the ak300 instead of onkyo. A few reasons:

- simple ui, but sometimes slow or unresponsive
- ak300 has warmer signature tone compared to onkyo. to me, ak300 sounds more analog
- if you like audiophile female/male or accoustic songs, go for ak300
- I do really enjoy hearing my savant and ak300 for a few hours. no fatigue experienced. 
- Micro details: onkyo wins, but I don't really care about this part
- musicality: i prefer ak300, sounds more lively instead of onkyo, which is flat in my ears.
- more power compared to onkyo. 
- no error, app restarting. everything smooth

What i don't like about ak300:
- sometimes a bit slow and unresponsive for a slight second.
- wifi is not as good as onkyo.
- single sd card slot
- average battery life. (i'm not saying it's only 4 hours, but it only holds for a single day. and I have to charge it again every night. with onkyo/calyx i can have more, at least 2 days)

AK 300 is a great dap. I like the musicality, depth and the sound produced. I definitely will prefer ak300 instead of onkyo. But well yeah that's just my preference. 

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #837 of 1,018
Thank You matabroad & timkwokphoto for your suggestions. Due to Black Friday sales, i've spent past few days going to various local audio stores, demoing some iems.

Ive tried :
Noble = Savannah & Savant
UM = Martian & Merlin
QDC 3 driver
JH10X3
Empire Ears = Cerberus & Spartan (no demo units with adel module yet)
64 Audio U3

I just joined the drop for Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM, join in based on my listening impression with the Savant. The deal is at 250usd!!!, simply cannot resist the temptation. But I will still do try out Noble django and JH siren series just to know how they sound with the AK 300. For now, will stick to IM03 and awaiting a balanced cable for it.

My experiences and sound impressions on the AK300 are similar to timwokphoto. I only use the AK300 when i commute to work and back home. Based on my usage, it uses up 10% of battery life at every hour. I will charge it when it hit about 50%.

Anyways thank you both for sharing.

Nov 27, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #838 of 1,018
  Thank You matabroad & timkwokphoto for your suggestions. Due to Black Friday sales, i've spent past few days going to various local audio stores, demoing some iems.

Ive tried :
Noble = Savannah & Savant
UM = Martian & Merlin
QDC 3 driver
JH10X3
Empire Ears = Cerberus & Spartan (no demo units with adel module yet)
64 Audio U3

I just joined the drop for Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM, join in based on my listening impression with the Savant. The deal is at 250usd!!!, simply cannot resist the temptation. But I will still do try out Noble django and JH siren series just to know how they sound with the AK 300. For now, will stick to IM03 and awaiting a balanced cable for it.

My experiences and sound impressions on the AK300 are similar to timwokphoto. I only use the AK300 when i commute to work and back home. Based on my usage, it uses up 10% of battery life at every hour. I will charge it when it hit about 50%.

Anyways thank you both for sharing.

from what i saw the review, of course the massdrop x noble will sound different then the savant/savannah or django.

but yeah, me too. i can't resist the 250 noble iem..

so which one you like the most? just go with the adel u12, it's super smooth and very easy to enjoy

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #839 of 1,018
I was hoping that the massdrop x noble will tune to be a musical version of the Savant. If it turns out to my liking, it will be a keeper, if not the search continues.

I did try the u12 for a short moment. I find it warm and dark sounding. I still prefer to have a tonal balance IEM.

Out of all i tried, my top 3 picks are Empire Ears Spartan, 64 audio U3 and Noble Savant. To my ears, the Noble Savant are clear and detail but i find the bass a bit lacking for my taste. For the Spartan and U3, i find that the overall tonality on both are similar. There are differences but i won't be able to explain it well.

Nov 28, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #840 of 1,018
  I was hoping that the massdrop x noble will tune to be a musical version of the Savant. If it turns out to my liking, it will be a keeper, if not the search continues.

I did try the u12 for a short moment. I find it warm and dark sounding. I still prefer to have a tonal balance IEM.

Out of all i tried, my top 3 picks are Empire Ears Spartan, 64 audio U3 and Noble Savant. To my ears, the Noble Savant are clear and detail but i find the bass a bit lacking for my taste. For the Spartan and U3, i find that the overall tonality on both are similar. There are differences but i won't be able to explain it well.

I can definitely vouch for the Spartan. Great pairing with the 300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back