Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD Recorder) at Tokyo Headphone Festival
Jun 27, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #301 of 1,018
Agree. I'm curious on how will sound with the amp ak380. With the Mojo and the T1 sounds fantastic. Very energetic and crystal clear. In fact with the Ak300 the treble seems more controlled. The T1 sounds Less harsh

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #302 of 1,018
I'm going to probably do a fairly detailed review of the AK300, but for now, I thought I'd post a couple loaded RMAA tests (I'd previously posted unloaded results from the AK300 in here)

I used Merlins and PS1000's as loads. ZX1 also posted as reference

EDIT: Note that the colors are reversed between the AK300 and ZX1 as to which load was which...I'll make sure to avoid that with my final review :wink:

Details:
40Hz - 15 kHz Merlin: +0.51, -1.01
20Hz - 20 kHz Merlin: +0.53, -1.92

40Hz - 15 kHz PS1000: +0.26, -0.60
20Hz - 20 kHz PS1000: +0.26, -1.41

Details:
40Hz - 15 kHz Merlin: +0.58, -1.41
20Hz - 20 kHz Merlin: +0.58, -1.81

40Hz - 15 kHz PS1000: +0.24, -0.25
20Hz - 20 kHz PS1000: +0.24, -0.40

A few comments, the Merlins are have very low input impedance with their BA drivers, but the lows are handled by a dynamic driver, so you wouldn't see as much craziness down there. I had expected the ZX1 to handle them better with its class-D amp, but that's some serious roll, more than the AK300, which I expected to not perform as well, because of its higher OI from the 3.5mm output (it's lower from the balanced output according to A&K). 

That little hump at 90Hz is essentially the only variation from their unloaded performance when the PS1000 is paired with either device. 

Most shocking. I also did a Merlin load with my Nexus 6 (in the form of a streaming MP3 that I'd uploaded to Play Music, no less - process was to use dbPoweramp to convert the WAV generated by RMAA to 320k MP3 via LAME encoder, then point the Play Music Manager at it)

Guess who's most accurate with the BA IEM?

40Hz - 15 kHz Merlin: +0.51, -0.75

I didn't include the 20Hz to 20kHz because of the aforementioned LAME encode. A low pass filter at 19,600 Hz means that it shows a big dropoff, but it's not because of the hardware, it's because of the file. It happens like 600Hz ahead of both the ZX1 and AK300 any way. But thought I'd mention it. 

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #304 of 1,018
I'll check mine later tonight and report back.

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #305 of 1,018

Wheeee! Santa came to town early this year.

Will give sound impressions soon. Updated to latest firmware and burning it in. Want to give it at least 30 hrs of continuous play before I do any critical listening.

Jul 3, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #310 of 1,018
Hi fellow head-fiers, this is my first post but i have been lurking around on a daily basis to get my poison...:)

Just wanted to quickly pop in to say hi and also a little sound impression about the AK300 which i have been using to give my ears a good workout for the past week or so. 

Presently using the AK300 with Roxanne and HEX. Also i swap it with Fiio X7 with the AM2 for comparison.

Before i begin, i must say they both sound VERY different to my ears, completely different sound signature and depending on my mood, i prefer one over the other. SO meaning they are both keepers as it's nice to have something that sounds good for certain genres.

To put it loosely, If i can compare it with 2 CDPs that i have, the AK300 sounds like the Arcam 9 CDP with the ring dac and the x7 sounds like the chord dac64 mk2 paired with the chord blu.

Both players UI is comparable and i have no issues as i am not a power user that meddle which each and every function.

With my HEX, i prefer to pair it with the X7 and the roxannes with 300. One thing i did notice is how i have to adjust roxanne's variable bass to a notch higher to suit my listening style compared to when i pair it with the X7.

So if i am in a mood for critical listening, i will surely reach out for the X7 while for long and casual listening i prefer the 300's sound as it is just that little bit more 'musical' to my ears.

I would go as far as saying that the X7 is much more dynamic compared to the 300. Some people may not like the treble roll off the 300 offers but to me it helps for a non fatiguing listening experience.

Since the 300 is my new toy, i am sure i will be listening to it much more than my X7 in the coming weeks and months. After the novelty wears off, i will then know which one i will pick up more than the other for when i am travelling. 

Hope this super mini review is helpful to some. Just my noob thoughts....

Thanks for reading and hope you guys/gals will find audio nirvana down the road... :)

Jul 3, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #311 of 1,018
Btw can someone tell me if the player is supposed to come with screen protectors? Cant find any in the box.

Yes. It comes with four. 2 for the front 2 for the back

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #312 of 1,018
  Hi fellow head-fiers, this is my first post but i have been lurking around on a daily basis to get my poison...:)

Just wanted to quickly pop in to say hi and also a little sound impression about the AK300 which i have been using to give my ears a good workout for the past week or so. 

Presently using the AK300 with Roxanne and HEX. Also i swap it with Fiio X7 with the AM2 for comparison.

Before i begin, i must say they both sound VERY different to my ears, completely different sound signature and depending on my mood, i prefer one over the other. SO meaning they are both keepers as it's nice to have something that sounds good for certain genres.

To put it loosely, If i can compare it with 2 CDPs that i have, the AK300 sounds like the Arcam 9 CDP with the ring dac and the x7 sounds like the chord dac64 mk2 paired with the chord blu.

Both players UI is comparable and i have no issues as i am not a power user that meddle which each and every function.

With my HEX, i prefer to pair it with the X7 and the roxannes with 300. One thing i did notice is how i have to adjust roxanne's variable bass to a notch higher to suit my listening style compared to when i pair it with the X7.

So if i am in a mood for critical listening, i will surely reach out for the X7 while for long and casual listening i prefer the 300's sound as it is just that little bit more 'musical' to my ears.

I would go as far as saying that the X7 is much more dynamic compared to the 300. Some people may not like the treble roll off the 300 offers but to me it helps for a non fatiguing listening experience.

Since the 300 is my new toy, i am sure i will be listening to it much more than my X7 in the coming weeks and months. After the novelty wears off, i will then know which one i will pick up more than the other for when i am travelling. 

Hope this super mini review is helpful to some. Just my noob thoughts....

Thanks for reading and hope you guys/gals will find audio nirvana down the road... :)

Thanks for your views Airbooster. We need more comments on the sound here!
Did you do a burn in of the AK300? Mine is on continuous play and into its 36th hr as I write. I've been listening in every so often and I have to say its gone from flat two dimensional out of the box to a much more musical and 3 dimensional sound now. Still havent done any critical listening tho. Just off the cuff impressions. Waiting to get my meze classics 99, should be delivered tomorrow. Also getting some balanced hybrid cables for them from forza audio works soon. Will write some indepth sound impressions in a week or so.

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #313 of 1,018
Hey LuvDac, i am only about 10ish hrs into the 300. Whilst it is more 'musical', the soundstage for now is really really small. Also the mids are a touch forward for my taste. Driving the HEX which is an easy load, classical scores will need the volume at about 140/150. Will give it another 25 hrs of play before i comment further. But having said all that, for anything other than classical or movie soundtracks, the 300 has got the PRAT thingy going... so far it sounds really promising and at the end of the day it still boils down to system matching.

Let us know what you think of yours soon...

Jul 5, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #314 of 1,018
...the AKM4490 is a much better DAC than the Cirrus Logic CS4398 and it is neutral warm.  However, the true strength of the AKM4490 is with the native DSD decode and processing, which AK isn't using with the AK300.

I don't suppose you have a Mojo? Assuming you do / did / have auditioned one, how would you characterize Chord's in-house DAC signature against the AKM4490?

p.s. What's the opinion on this on-board Femto clock? It would seem to be exclusive to the 3xx series...

Jul 9, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #315 of 1,018
Here are some sound impressions of the AK300 with the Meze 99 Classics. The AK300 has done over 76 hrs of burn in and the 99's around 50 hrs.

I'm not a professional reviewer so please do understand these are my personal opinions based on my personal preferences.

Simply put, these are the most analog sounding instruments I've heard. Yes, I say instruments 'cause these deserve to be called musical instruments and not just another player and headphone combo.

Analog,Analog, Analog. Period.

Listening to Miles Davis' "Sketches of Spain" (MFSL Sacd rip) was an emotional experience of the positive kind. Miles was in my head, doing his thing in a way that I'd never heard before. There is this cohesiveness to the music, this natural tonality. This recording has always been difficult, the files being too bright/harsh/metallic/digital no matter which remastered version I listen to. But here, there is the OMG factor.

Jimmy Scott - "All The Way" (24/192). A Clean, relaxed and (that word again) musical delivery. Light some candles and pour the red wine!

Eric Clapton - "Spiral" from "I Still Do" (24/192). Slowhand's back with a superb album. There's a lot going on in this track, guitars, drums, synths, vocals and its all presented cleanly. And it rocks as well.

Wahnfried - "Drums 'n Balls"  (Mp3 320 kbps) This is mp3??? Could've fooled me. The electronic Drums reach down, down into the ground. Not a hint of Mp3 flabbiness in depths or harshness in the highs. Again its analog sounding. This is an electronica track!!!!

Soundstage: Yes, it presents an intimate soundstage, a bit like the zx2 but more open. (Again this is from memory, I Dont have the zx2 anymore for a direct comparison)

Sound signature : Its warm and clean.

If I were to compare with the likes of the sony zx2, the sony has this lush, hi-end sound but with prolonged listening there comes this feeling that the player is modulating the sound. Compared to the Fiio x5, well- No contest. Also its not a fair comparison as the fiio costs 300 bucks or so.

The chinese Daps  seem to deliver the detail but something is not holding it all together, some musicality is lacking. I cant speak about other Daps, my experience is limited to the x5 and zx2. The AK300 seems to neither add nor take away from the recording but present it in a musical fashion. I would definitely choose the AK300 over the Sony.

The other great gadgety thing that the AK does well is the AK connect. It found my aries mini streamer over wifi and now I can listen to my 4TB collection from the AK. No hiccups so far!

The Meze 99's also edge out the NAD Viso hp50's (my previous headset). Again there is this naturalness to the music (Wooden cups...?)

Is it the AK doing the magic? The 99's?

In my humble opinion its them both. A marriage made in audio heaven. I can see my self enjoying this combo well into the future! I will be rediscovering my vast collection

My Verdict? You mean you still want a verdict???

Now excuse me folks, while I get back to the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back