Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD Recorder) at Tokyo Headphone Festival
Jun 18, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #214 of 1,018
I've had both for couple of days and I don't think AK300 sounds better than Onkyo. Technicaly and objective Onkyo sound more neutrl and will pair well with more headphones.

Personally disagree. To me DP-X1 sounded withdrawn and not as smooth. Not to mention streaming services were very staticy as low volumes and the headphone jacks were faulty with their first batch.

Jun 18, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #215 of 1,018
Personally disagree. To me DP-X1 sounded withdrawn and not as smooth. Not to mention streaming services were very staticy as low volumes and the headphone jacks were faulty with their first batch.

So You're talking about prefences here, AK300 is better than Onkyo, if You're looking for a smooth, a little bassy sound. If You like balanced, transparent and detailed sound, Onkyo is a winner. Also I had testing second batch unit and I didn't notice any Tidal noise or jack issues.

Still, AK300 is a really good sounding DAP. Synergie and personal taste. Enjoying my train ride.

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #216 of 1,018
So You're talking about prefences here, AK300 is better than Onkyo, if You're looking for a smooth, a little bassy sound. If You like balanced, transparent and detailed sound, Onkyo is a winner. Also I had testing second batch unit and I didn't notice any Tidal noise or jack issues.

Still, AK300 is a really good sounding DAP. Synergie and personal taste. Enjoying my train ride.

Agreed. Auditioned the AK300, 320 and the DP-X1 and this basically sums up my experience. The AK's tend to sound more intimate and warmer, with slightly better layering while the Onkyo is spacious, transparent - a little to the drier side of things. Overall the AK's are more musical and emotional - it was a hard decision between them but in the end I went for the Onkyo because I simply love its spaciousness and transparency 
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #219 of 1,018
I'm using AK Jr and when I'm using it as a DAC, it does not work for USB 3.0. Does the AK300 work on USB 3.0?

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #222 of 1,018
I purchased the Ak300 few days ago and loving the SQ. Made a quick comparison with my AK100ii, the AK300 has better clarity, soundstage, layering and details. AK300 is bit warmer, good body on the vocal. So far, really enjoy it. Cant wait to compare it to DPX1, soon maybe :)

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #223 of 1,018
I'm going to demo AK300 this week as a possible purchase. Regardless of my decision I will put together some impressions for the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back