Astell & Kern AKR01
Oct 11, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #16 of 25
  Whatever happened to the review?  Good, bad?  Are these rebranded FAD IVs, or not (and have you spent enough time recently with the FADs to know)?  If not, what are the differences?

People whose wallets can't stop bleeding want to know... 
biggrin.gif

Sorry: http://www.head-fi.org/t/683477/review-astell-kern-akr01-its-a-legal-addiction Suffice to say, they have a very addicting signature. They are FAD IVs optimized to work with the AK100/AK120. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #17 of 25
I picked up a set of the AKR01 from ALO.  I was interested in an IEM for my stock AK100 and I saw this thread.  I don't know about special tuning or not, but if they are offered by A&K for their DAPs, I thought it would be worth a shot.  I have had them for a little over a week and i like them.  They do have a full rich sound with the AK100 running volume at about 48 (vs 60-70 on other headphones and IEMs I use).  They do have a different mids signature but to me it is a pleasant full sound.  Bass is impactful and highs are nice - maybe a little rolled off but definitely there.  I read from another review of the AK100 to try using the eq running flat but having it activated in the settings.  I found this works well, taking some of the edge off the sound.  I usually do not like using eq circuits at all but in this case running the eq on but set flat makes a nice difference.  The best part of it is that the AKR01s do mate well with the AK100.  I dont have the feeling that I am pushing the AK100 to get the full volume I desire.  I also found that I needed the smallest ear tip so that the IEM fit deep in the ear canal.  This is unusual for me - I typically will use the medium size ear tip.  

All in all a very nice well built and matched IEM.  I like them.

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #18 of 25
Sweet! I'm glad you like them! And yes, they sound 10x better with an AK DAP, seriously.

Oct 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #20 of 25
I should probably also note they come in a very cool pleather case that works great as a case to hold the AK100 and IEMs. The AK100 fits perfectly once you take the foam insert out which originally held the AKR01s. They fit nicely in the elastic side pouch. This is a nice extra that makes sense.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #22 of 25
I don't know if the 120 is larger than the 100 but my 100 fits fine and that is with the leather slide case on it. The volume know pushes out just a little but the case zippers easily. I have been using it this way since I got the AKR01s.

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #24 of 25
Actually I have the AK120 and even in its case, it will fit into the AKR01 case. It's a tight squeeze but it goes in the top. I've taken the foam out of the bottom of the case and just put the headphones in there, below the AK120.

By the way, the sound of this combo is just unbelievable. You have to get a good seal on the AKR01's but once you do, the detail and airiness is unmatched. They easily outperform by IE8's and HD25I-II's (both of which I love) and come close to my Stax. I'm really looking forward to trying so of the higher priced FAD's as these are just great!

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #25 of 25
  Actually I have the AK120 and even in its case, it will fit into the AKR01 case. It's a tight squeeze but it goes in the top. I've taken the foam out of the bottom of the case and just put the headphones in there, below the AK120.

By the way, the sound of this combo is just unbelievable. You have to get a good seal on the AKR01's but once you do, the detail and airiness is unmatched. They easily outperform by IE8's and HD25I-II's (both of which I love) and come close to my Stax. I'm really looking forward to trying so of the higher priced FAD's as these are just great!

Yeah, I felt the same way about the AKR01/AK100(I think I used the 100) combo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back