Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Oct 17, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #256 of 1,058
I apologize for the delay. Our initial AK70 MK II units and cases sold out within a day or two of release in the UK. More are on the way and it may be in stock sooner than the end of this month.

I managed to pre-order the Mk2, but the case didn't even appear as a pre-order item anywhere!

ETA - Sorry Jason, just a little frustrated that I'm carrying around a portable DAP in a cheap eBay case, rather than the proper item.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #258 of 1,058
Forgive me, I did not plunge back on previous posts. Curious how my Japanese blue limited edition Mk1 compared to the new Mk2, so I did a a/b. I went back and forth for about 20 minutes at the local Yodobashi Camera here in Yokohama. I will be honest with you, I could not hear a difference. At least nothing significant enough to upgrade this great little DAP. It appears I will be keeping this little guy.

Oct 18, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #259 of 1,058
Hello Kind People. have anyone done a comparison between the AK70mk2 with the AK320? if Yes, please do share. Also, anyone compared it with the sony walkmans too? Thanks in advance

I had an AK70, if the difference between this and the MK2 is subtle...the AK320 is in other league above this DAP in sound quality...
By the way...AK70 and Westone IEMs Doesn’t pair well (i tried the UM and W series)

Oct 18, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #260 of 1,058
Oh why did just see this?? AK70 MKii seems portable and capable. I'm waiting for a used Kann to arrive. Right now I have a Fiio X7. Had an Onkyo DP-X1A but returned it for loose jack. Loved the DP-X1A way better than the X7. Any advice on whether I should get the AK70 MKii?

Oct 19, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #261 of 1,058
Oh why did just see this?? AK70 MKii seems portable and capable. I'm waiting for a used Kann to arrive. Right now I have a Fiio X7. Had an Onkyo DP-X1A but returned it for loose jack. Loved the DP-X1A way better than the X7. Any advice on whether I should get the AK70 MKii?

Whilst I'm delighted with my Mkii, I think the KANN is a step (or two) above looking at the specs.

Oct 19, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #263 of 1,058
My MKii comes in tomorrow! Can't wait.

I chose this DAP over the competition due to its focus on music. There are many DAPs on the market right now (especially in this price bracket) that are running semi-vanilla Android, with dated OS versions and software. WHy bother allowing the devices to do so much more if they do so much more so poorly? Who would want to watch a movie on their X5iii screen? I much prefer the Sony/AK approach of limiting their version of Android to music playback. For everything else, there's my smartphone.

Additional reasons:
- Size. It seems like many DAPS are getting larger. If I have to carry something in addition to my cell phone, it better be small. AK for the win.
- Dual DAC
- My ol' AK100ii was awesome... and this seems to be twice the fun

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #267 of 1,058
Is anyone upgrading to the AK70 MKII from the AK Jr.? Any noticeable improvements in sound?

The jump from the Jr to the 70 is huge.

Stuff I've previously written....

I went from a Fiio X3 (Gen 1) to the AK Jr initially. The difference there was the detail was just so much better with the AK Jr (I was using Shure SE425s at the time). I did feel that it was a little light on the bass, although it wasn't muddy at all. With hindsight, that may have been the IEMs.

The move from the Jr to the AK70 was seismic in comparison. A much more forward presentation, and everything far crisper and clearer. Slightly warmer sound than the Jr too and better detail on complex tracks. Not sure what your musical tastes are, but with Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" you could hear every note sing on the guitar. It's a similar tale with Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" (album), and then straying into the heavier side of things Rage Against the Machine's "Bullet in the Head," the punchiness of the bass is more pronounced and doesn't roll off as quickly.

In my view, the AK70 gives a very balanced, precise sound - but I'm not one for messing with EQ settings.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #268 of 1,058
Dignis will release case for AK70mk2 very soon
The blue one is absolutely stunning

https://twitter.com/dignis_Official/status/921297690029318144

DMka1wyU8AEJhsS.jpg

DMka4ccV4AI-MLh.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back