Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Dec 15, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #513 of 1,058
Can this DAP drive Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow without adding an AMP?
I tried it during a demo,. Volume was 100-110 out of 150 to reach my 'normal' listening level. I usually need just 70-80 volume for IEMs, or Grado headphones. So, the Aeon can be driven, but not easily.

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #517 of 1,058
With the hifiman he400i with 93db and 35 ohms planar normal listening level for me is 90 normal and 100 on the loud side i allready go to110 and was to loud, but was loud and well drived not loud and thin and agressive

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #519 of 1,058
This little dap has quite some juice, I’m very impressed considering the small package.

Second that, I'm quite amazed by its power and at the same time its refinement - 2 qualities which usually only joins together in flagships. This little guy had emphatically taken over as my go-to pocketable daily DAP (with the WM1 being the weekend transportable player).

PS Mine is the gorgeous Fate Stay Night version........can't resist that electric purple hue.

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #520 of 1,058
Second that, I'm quite amazed by its power and at the same time its refinement - 2 qualities which usually only joins together in flagships. This little guy had emphatically taken over as my go-to pocketable daily DAP (with the WM1 being the weekend transportable player).

PS Mine is the gorgeous Fate Stay Night version........can't resist that electric purple hue.

The Fate edition is amazing, I really love the color and the finishing, not a big fan of the white leather case.
I was considering to buy it too but I was concern about warranty (being in the US), at the end I bought the regular version on BF saving some money.

Dec 18, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #522 of 1,058
The lack of a true line out (as opposed to maxing out the headphone out volume) is unfortunate. It is the only feature i wish i had on the 120ii because the DAC portion is much better than the amp. I use the Oppo HA-2 which to my surprise has a better amp section than the 120ii and it does provide the extra power i need to drive the T1s and HE-500s however i hate double amping and inevitably degrading the signal through the additional gain stage, volume pot, etc. I just can't help wondering how much better my set up would sound with a real line out.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #523 of 1,058
The lack of a true line out (as opposed to maxing out the headphone out volume) is unfortunate. It is the only feature i wish i had on the 120ii because the DAC portion is much better than the amp. I use the Oppo HA-2 which to my surprise has a better amp section than the amp in the 120ii and it does provide the extra power i need to drive the T1s and HE-500s however i hate double amping and thus degrading the signal through the additional gain stage, volume pot, etc. I just can't help wondering how much better my set up would sound with a real line out.

To clarify; the SQ directly out of the 120ii's headphone jack is definitely cleaner, however the soundstage is narrower and the overall sound leaner. Adding the HA-2 fills out the soundstage and gives me plenty of extra juice needed for some recordings. Shame to be robbed by double amping though.

Dec 19, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #524 of 1,058
To clarify; the SQ directly out of the 120ii's headphone jack is definitely cleaner, however the soundstage is narrower and the overall sound leaner. Adding the HA-2 fills out the soundstage and gives me plenty of extra juice needed for some recordings. Shame to be robbed by double amping though.

I also wish for a true line out. However, using the headphone output on my A&K Jr. for the past year or so hasn't been so bad. In fact, the variable output has been essential in the car: full output overloads the inputs in both my car and my wife's car, so I have to dial it down a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back