Astell & Kern AK70 bootloop problem solved
Feb 10, 2021 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ilestre

New Head-Fier
I thought I'd share my small victory. I've had an Astell & Kern AK70 for about three years. Recently it has been stuck in a bootloop (endless spinning "A"). I've been looking high and low for a solution, and despite some helpful pointer on this forum couldn't get anywhere. Finally after some days of fiddling randomly, I've hit upon a solution.
- Start the AK70 by pushing both the = and v keys simultaneously, then adding the power button until it boots. It should show a circled exclamation mark.
- You can now release all keys.
- Now press the power button while scrolling up with the volume wheel.
- A menu with factory reset, settings and reboot should appear. I chose Factory reset (with the wheel, OK with power button) and wiping all data and resuscitated my AK70.

May 18, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 4
Fantastic work! I have spent most of the day trying to reboot an AK380 with the dreaded spinning A. Th.e first clues I had were internet posts on android phones which use a combination of buttons to solve a freeze. I initially used a card to hold down the 3 buttons on the left simultaneously with the power button. This brought up the circled exclamation mark but I saw that as a warning sign. You have explained it as good. If I could add that I could only start the process you have described by starting with a blank screen. Normally the power button alone works but with the spinning A I needed to hold down together the ^ and power for about 15". Nothing happens until I let go, so I can't be sure of the exact time. Also I tried to save the data and to just reboot but it wouldn't cop anything other than a factory reset. Still I had removed the sd card and its just like having a new DAP to play with. Thanks to your posting
IMG_2797.JPG

May 18, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 4
Of course they should. A&K AU said “bootloop! chronic! better sent it back to Korea.6-8 weeks turnaround but they’ll fit a new battery and it will only cost about $300.”
Imagine if you bought a Rolls Royce and it developed a minor problem with the battery and the circuitry. The distributor tells you that your car needs to ship back to England to fit a new battery and reboot. I don’t think you would believe it nor would you ever buy another Rolls.
Astell&Kern need to stop behaving like some secretive little clique otherwise they will implode losing their loyal customers to more helpful brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back