Astell&Kern AK120 owners help! dac function on smartphone using otg wont work
Apr 3, 2015 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Reactcore

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi AK100 mk1 and AK120 mk1 owners,
Did anyone tried this?:

I have an AK120, and tried to use it as a dac on a samsung smartphone but i cant get it to work.

I bought a 15cm usb cable with on one side a microB and the other side microB otg (=pin 4 and 5 linked)
When i connect the 2 devices, the ak gives the usb screen so 1st i tried to connect to removable disk, this works, i can access the ak's memory and browse files. So the otg function is ok and the cable does transfer data. But now i choose connect to usb dac, then the AK hangs! I have to hold the power button to reboot it.

On a pc the dac functions perfectly.

Specs: the AK runs firmware 1.40
The smartphone is a Samsung S3 running android 4.3 jellybean.
I also tried on a Samsung S5 running latest android 5.0 lollypop but it happends the same.
Both phones dont seem to detect aything when i choose usb dac on the AK

If i look on the Astell&Kern site there is also a AK10 which they claim to work with android smartphones, they even mention the Samsung S3:confused_face(1):

I even thought to downgrade the firmware but irive plus4 wont do it.

Pls help cause the AK site sucks for getting support and would like alot to use youtube or tunein radio on a smartphone with perfect sound:rolleyes:

Thx in advance!

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 11
Try to use 3rd party player apps with USB DAC support like, USB Audio Player Pro (Trial version), or Onkyo HF Player (Free version), or HibyMusic (Free app).

Importent is only the order to use USB DACs on Android

1. power on the AK120, don't connect the AK120 or start any of these 3 apps before
2. connect the AK120 with a normal USB cable together with the USB OTG cable
3. connect the USB OTG cable to your phone
4. wait few seconds
5. start any of these 3 apps and you should get a message to allow USB connection, choose yes.

Good luck!

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for your tips.. I tried those apps.. But still wont work.. The onkyo needs a payment for the usb dac option to work. But with either the usb player pro trial or the hiby it seems at 1st to connect, in hiby i get de usbdac symbol but then both apps give error. I tried connecting in you sequence!
I also tried on a samsung tab 10.1 tablet running droid 4.0 but all the same thing.

Do you own a AK120 yourself?

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 11
I also tried on a samsung tab 10.1 tablet running droid 4.0 but all the same thing.

Not surprising. There is often incompatibility between USB DACs and smartphones and tablets. Some DACs and some smartphones and tablets are better than others in this regard.

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks for your tips.. I tried those apps.. But still wont work.. The onkyo needs a payment for the usb dac option to work. But with either the usb player pro trial or the hiby it seems at 1st to connect, in hiby i get de usbdac symbol but then both apps give error. I tried connecting in you sequence!

Do you own a AK120 yourself?

The Onkyo HF Player app is free with USB DAC support, but it is limited to 16/48 output (Android limit). With the payed version of Onkyo HF Player app you can use hi-res output like 24/192.

Maybe you can try to enable, some settings on your phones. Under Android Settings -> Storage -> tap on the menu at the top right and select USB computer connection and see if MTP is enabled.Reboot your phone. And try again. If still not working, my last tip would be to enable USB debugging, see here: http://www.phonearena.com/news/How-to-enable-USB-debugging-on-Android_id53909 and try again.

No I don't have a AK120 myself, but I get almost all my battery powered USB DACs running with these apps.

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 11
Thank again for thinking with me:p
On my jellybean 4.3 theres no option for mtp in the storage menu. Thats from v4.4, i figured i get the options when i type *#0808# on the dialscreen..
Ok now i choosed different options here but it wont butch also with usb debug enabled.
Youre right.. The onkyo app needs only payment to play the highest res. music files.
When just continue i get the message 'cant communicate with usb device pls reconnect' and the player switches to the phone speaker.

I have send a help request to iriver global service.. See what they come up with IF they answer..

Sep 30, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #10 of 11
Update: for anyone reading here. I managed to reach AK and they confirmed it was not designed to be used with android like a AK10. They were hesitating for another fw update from 1.42. Ok just now recently i found that it does work with apple ios lol.
I use now a older iphone 4s which i got really cheap with hiby app and a 30pin to usb host cable. It works perfectly.
I solved the issue with draining the phones battery by adding a 1k resistor to the 5v line.

Sep 30, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 11
20170930_223553.jpg
So this is how it looks like.. the resistor is in the 30p connector. I made the cable shorter to be more compact. Nice feature of hiby is that it reads from shared folders on a windows a pc. So no dlna streaming limitations just pure high res data reading using the phones wifi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back