Astell&Kern ACRO CA1000 Carriable Headphone Amp
Apr 12, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #601 of 621
I have tried both suggestions and must conclude that this device is really slow and can be laggy especially when using streaming services. I have indeed the latetst firmware that may be even slower.

You are correct. Its not fast like a smart phone, and i think the processor they used was a poor choice. It is slow and not powerful enough for this device and features.
One reason a lot of other manufactures start using snapdragon 600 series up. I have had a lot of Ak devices and they have all been slow compared to others. I hear the newer models finally picked up the pace a bit but at a steep cost.

Lately I use the CA1000 mainly connected to my stereo and use my other daps for everything else. The ease of use with streaming apps and on device music files is just faster using my other daps. Most have the android system that allows me to install whatever i want without sideload or via services.

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #604 of 621
Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #606 of 621
Apr 15, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #607 of 621
Just received my Amazon UK unit. First impressions: very nice build, great form factor. No issues with UI on local library. Roon all good.

Sound impressions: Hugo 2 was mentioned at the outset of this thread. Sorry, CA1000 is nowhere close to Hugo 2 level. Mojo 2 maybe, but at a push. CA1000 is a fairly engaging presentation - clean, smooth, with good staging. The amp performance, to my ears, lacks dynamics and is quite laid back and not terribly incisive. Some people might like that. It scales up quite well with a desktop amp, but compared to my Lotoo Paw Gold 2017 - let alone Hugo 2 - the limitations become audible in both DAC and amp performance, especially when paired with an ultra transparent amp.

That said, for £600, it's a bargain.

Apr 15, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #608 of 621
Just received my Amazon UK unit. First impressions: very nice build, great form factor. No issues with UI on local library. Roon all good.

Sound impressions: Hugo 2 was mentioned at the outset of this thread. Sorry, CA1000 is nowhere close to Hugo 2 level. Mojo 2 maybe, but at a push. CA1000 is a fairly engaging presentation - clean, smooth, with good staging. The amp performance, to my ears, lacks dynamics and is quite laid back and not terribly incisive. Some people might like that. It scales up quite well with a desktop amp, but compared to my Lotoo Paw Gold 2017 - let alone Hugo 2 - the limitations become audible in both DAC and amp performance, especially when paired with an ultra transparent amp.

That said, for £600, it's a bargain.
I cannot really comment about the CA1000 as I have the CA1000T, but the CA1000T did improve noticeably after approx 200h of burn-in. Also the higher gain settings do bring audible improvement.

(That said, even with two Nutubes added to the ESS DAC and Astell designed AMP section, it sounds a lot more neutral than connected to a Cayin C9).

Apr 15, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #609 of 621
I cannot really comment about the CA1000 as I have the CA1000T, but the CA1000T did improve noticeably after approx 200h of burn-in. Also the higher gain settings do bring audible improvement.

(That said, even with two Nutubes added to the ESS DAC and Astell designed AMP section, it sounds a lot more neutral than connected to a Cayin C9).
I'll be curious to hear if it changes with some use. There's definitely a restrained presentation out of the box. I tried to figure out the Astell AMP stage, but couldn't get my head around it. It's class A/B, I guess, or class D?

Overall, it's a great unit and very capable bedside unit.

Apr 15, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #610 of 621
I'll be curious to hear if it changes with some use. There's definitely a restrained presentation out of the box. I tried to figure out the Astell AMP stage, but couldn't get my head around it. It's class A/B, I guess, or class D?

Overall, it's a great unit and very capable bedside unit.

My money is on Class A/B :)

PS For a proper burn-in I would recommend getting an iBasso burn-in plug. They come with all iBasso devices but iBasso also sells them separately ... I used that to let my CA1000T play for 250h with one of those connected to the 4.4mm balanced output.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #611 of 621
Great combo with Ibasso PB5..really AWESOME…

IMG_2691.jpeg

Best regards

Sisco

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #612 of 621
I'm loving my CA1000 and Focal Clear MG combination streaming Tidal! I bet there is a simple answer to this question but .... I would like to connect my trusty old Marantz CD-63 KI-Signature MKII CD player in - Which would be the better solution - Analogue Connection or Digital (optical)? Best wishes Ian

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #615 of 621
Could you compare it to FiiO R7, sound and overall usability?

Thanks.
The R9 ..no R7 has a much better UI. Faster, more functions. Pure Android.
Much more power. More neutral sound, more detailed... but the R9 is a stationary, when the AK is portable... that is where it has its advantage.

They are two different concepts, which I consider compatible and complementary.

Best Regards

Sisco

Users who are viewing this thread

Back