Astell&Kern A&norma SR25 MK II - Available November 2021
Nov 11, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #47 of 143
A store here in Germany. Project Acoustic. Excited to hear what audible changes they made. Still think MK1 is absolutely impressive, especially compared with the "higher" grades from AK I found to be quite lifeless and anemic.

Just enjoying MK1 with the EDP+ from IMR. Brutally immersive killer combo that sounds like a HE6 on steroids.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #48 of 143
A store here in Germany. Project Acoustic. Excited to hear what audible changes they made. Still think MK1 is absolutely impressive, especially compared with the "higher" grades from AK I found to be quite lifeless and anemic.

Just enjoying MK1 with the EDP+ from IMR. Brutally immersive killer combo that sounds like a HE6 on steroids.

Will look forward to comparisons 😀 Plus you're not the first to say they like the 'entry' model better soundwise then the Futura and even sp1000 models.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #50 of 143
First impressions of the MK2 with the IMR EDP+

The first noticeable difference that comes to my mind is is the headstage. It's really astonishing 3D holographic now which seems a result of many factors that changed. First of all transparency went through the roof and while depth stays about the same width got way better. While MK1 sometimes had those pressed upper mids that let you feel voices were too close the MK2 really opend up and now shines with a much more effortless presentation.

And also, imaging is pin point now. To be honest I loved that really intense tonal density of the MK1 but the downside of this were some smeared parts from time to time. This is GONE. Separation improved a lot. You can say it's almost razor-sharp now but MK2 still transports a very good coherency although the room between the instruments is almost crystal clear now.

Layering ability of the MK1 was a weak point where the MK2 was improved a lot which is another outcome of the mids that opened up.

Bass control got better but only regarding upper bass that is textured better and sounds more analog. Subbass is a bit shy at the moment but as far as I remember the burn in process from MK1 this will improve a lot over the first days.

Mids are faster, sharper and not as full and rich as MK1 but still far away from being thin or anemic. It sounds way more delicate to me to have these lively mids and especially more coherent when looking at the changes reported above regarding headstage. The overall analog character is still there and (to me) even portrayed better. Especially these nice textures are still there, still having good grip. In terms of tube rolling you can say it's coming down from Mullards to Amperex which means tonality still is on the slightly warmer side.

Treble refiment or extention didn't change a lot. It's more the exacter positioning of the treble parts that can be seen as an improvement.

That's it for the first moment. Have in mind the MK2 is running for about 2 hours now.

As a first conclusion I can say I'm surprised in a very good way and 150% satisfied. The changes are everything else than subtle while the main character of the MK1 stays the same. For me the outcome is simply fantastic and I didn't expect the MK2 will grow up THAT much.

Good job AK!

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #51 of 143
First impressions of the MK2 with the IMR EDP+

The first noticeable difference that comes to my mind is is the headstage. It's really astonishing 3D holographic now which seems a result of many factors that changed. First of all transparency went through the roof and while depth stays about the same width got way better. While MK1 sometimes had those pressed upper mids that let you feel voices were too close the MK2 really opend up and now shines with a much more effortless presentation.

And also, imaging is pin point now. To be honest I loved that really intense tonal density of the MK1 but the downside of this were some smeared parts from time to time. This is GONE. Separation improved a lot. You can say it's almost razor-sharp now but MK2 still transports a very good coherency although the room between the instruments is almost crystal clear now.

Bass control got better but only regarding upper bass that is textured better and sounds more analog. Subbass is a bit shy at the moment but as far as I remember the burn in process from MK1 this will improve a lot over the first days.

Mids are not as full and rich as MK1 but still far away from being thin or anemic. It sounds way more delicate to me to have these mids and especially more coherent when looking at the changes reported above regarding headstage. The overall analog character is still there and (to me) even better and especially the nice textures are still there. In terms of tube rolling you can say it's coming down from Mullards to Amperex.

That's it for the first moment. Have in mind the MK2 is running for about 2 hours now.

As a first conclusion I can say I'm surprised in a very good way and 150% satisfied. The changes are everything else than subtle while the main character of the MK1 stays the same. For me the outcome is simply fantastic.

Good job AK!

That sounds pretty awesome, what out are you using? I mean are you using balanced, have you tried the 4.4? I had my doubts that the sound would change and that maybe it was just marketing bs. Sounds like a stellar sounding dap got better.

Have you tried BT receiving, how's wi-fi? Pics ? Lol. Sorry to hound you but you're the first owner on here.

Enjoy 😉

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #52 of 143
That sounds pretty awesome, what out are you using? I mean are you using balanced, have you tried the 4.4? I had my doubts that the sound would change and that maybe it was just marketing bs. Sounds like a stellar sounding dap got better.

Have you tried BT receiving, how's wi-fi? Pics ? Lol. Sorry to hound you but you're the first owner on here.

Enjoy 😉
Yeah it's really amazing. I'm using 2,5 out by far but will try 4,4 later on. Didn't listen while I wrote down my impressions and now the subbass is there in an immersive and tight way the MK1 never came up with. Really well controlled with excellent grip, not just a wall of bass.

WiFi is good. Seems a tiny bit faster. No problems with quobuz downloads when I'm offline.

The look didn't change a lot. Color is just a bit darker now, you got that additional 4,4 on the top side and on/off went to the left side. That's it.

Just blowing my ears with that set which I know from the inside but never liked it that much. Overall the character now reminds me of a good ladder dac.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #53 of 143
how about the battery drain? Without turning off the device, will the device draining the battery percentage seriously? and tested on the device booting startup time? haha

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #54 of 143
Yeah it's really amazing. I'm using 2,5 out by far but will try 4,4 later on. Didn't listen while I wrote down my impressions and now the subbass is back in an immersive and tight way the MK1 never had. Really well controlled not just a wall of bass.

WiFi is good. Seems a tiny bit faster. No problems with quobuz downloads when I'm offline.

The look didn't change a lot. Color is just a bit darker now, you got that additional 4,4 on the top side and on/off went to the left side. That's it.

Just blowing my ears with that set which I know from the inside but never liked it that much. Overall the character now reminds me of a good ladder dac.

Very cool, thnx for the impressions I've got one on order it will be here next week. 😀 I already thought mk1 sounded good, but the 4.4 out will be welcome and the added width. The depth was already stellar.

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #55 of 143
how about the battery drain? Without turning off the device, will the device draining the battery percentage seriously? and tested on the device booting startup time? haha
After about 3 hours now I'm down to 60% but had the screen on all the time - mostly running videos on YouTube.

Early impressions were made with proper quality wav's and quobuz studio... 😁

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #57 of 143

Enjoy 😉
Have to correct myself. Wifi is okay when streaming from Qobuz but the downloads are extremely slow. Is there a trick from MK1 to speed things up?

Nov 16, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #59 of 143
After about 3 hours now I'm down to 60% but had the screen on all the time - mostly running videos on YouTube.

Early impressions were made with proper quality wav's and quobuz studio... 😁
hi was wondering after a couple of days of using the sr25 mk ii if your thoughts / impressions regarding it changed. Am tempted to pick one up as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back