Astell&Kern A&norma SR25 MK II - Available November 2021
Oct 29, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #31 of 143
Trying to sell the same DAP for the third time😅
…and AK will succeed. Their business model actually works. Not a AK customer myself, I have listened to the following DAPs over the years: SE100, AK70 MK2, Alpha Kann, SP1000(M), SP2000, SR15 and SR25. I never bought one so far, but even if AK is releasing DAPs at the same pace as Apple does with iPhones, they stick to their plan and it seems to work. People are buying AK DAPs. A lot. Why AK would stop annually updating their DAP catalog if they are successful?

Even if I did not try the SR25 MK2 myself (considered it’s officially unreleased atm), I am interested in buying one or at least testing one. Not because of the « SQ », no, I have a Calyx M for that, but for the true portable format and the more than optimal battery life. Honestly, I admit, I don’t care about the price, because AK manufactures solid and beautiful devices. I am ok with that. Regarding the UI, eventhough it’s not the best in the DAPs’world, it’s not the worst either, far from it.

So, yes, another AK DAP, but I am interested in its specific features other DAPs are struggling to offer.

Nothing against you @igorkashtaev, I am confident you get it, just making my own reflexion about the upcoming SR25 MK2 based on your post and my needs as a music enthusiast.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #32 of 143
I might replace my HiBy R6 Pro with this DAP. My R6 Pro is kinda meh because of the poor Wi-Fi/Bluetooth signal.
R6 Pro sound quite good also right? How is the battery life or battery drain?

Oct 30, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #33 of 143
R6 Pro sound quite good also right? How is the battery life or battery drain?
It's decent. It can last up to eight hours with lossless playback, but the big issue is the wireless connectivity and random micro sd cards ejections.

Nov 1, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #34 of 143
I'll make a usage case for this. Someone like me for instance that likes smaller daps but still wants good power output and sound quality.

Yes there's Sony but their outputs are not as powerful and not as clean as ak sr25. Also, there's hiby r5s which is a nice unit and even smaller but doesn't have the quality of build of AK. I also think with no effects on the ak sounds more refined and holographic than r5s.

Of course that's just my personal opinions but I still think if you want a nice small dap you could do worse. The price is steep but AK has always been 'premium' priced. And if you're a heavy android user I'd go the Chinese dap route.I only stream occasionally so not a big deal for me having limited access to apps.

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #35 of 143
I'll make a usage case for this. Someone like me for instance that likes smaller daps but still wants good power output and sound quality.

Yes there's Sony but their outputs are not as powerful and not as clean as ak sr25. Also, there's hiby r5s which is a nice unit and even smaller but doesn't have the quality of build of AK. I also think with no effects on the ak sounds more refined and holographic than r5s.

Of course that's just my personal opinions but I still think if you want a nice small dap you could do worse. The price is steep but AK has always been 'premium' priced. And if you're a heavy android user I'd go the Chinese dap route.I only stream occasionally so not a big deal for me having limited access to apps.
Agree, I always prefer small DAP for convenient use at outdoor listening. That's why smaller size DAP with great sound quality output is the option. Currently using Sony ZX300, which is small enough but 3.5mm output is the drawback, own a Shanling M6 pro which is bulky and shorter playback time. AK SR25mkii really eye-catchy with its build quality, size and better playback time.

Nov 4, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #36 of 143
I love my SR25, and my only gripe with it was the poor bluetooth connectivity quality. I couldn't step more than 10 feet away from the player without it breaking up and was virtually unusable outdoors. Since this still has BT 4.2, I'm assuming they haven't altered the implementation at all.

Nov 4, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #37 of 143
I love my SR25, and my only gripe with it was the poor bluetooth connectivity quality. I couldn't step more than 10 feet away from the player without it breaking up and was virtually unusable outdoors. Since this still has BT 4.2, I'm assuming they haven't altered the implementation at all.

This happens with most daps I use. Hiby r3p hiby r5s they break up outside. Ibasso dx160, dx220 they are horrible and break up very easily. Shanling m3x and M0 break up outside, M0 is better than m3x. Hidiz ap80 and ap80 pro - they break up outside.
Never tried n6ii or lotoo paw 6000. Only daps I've had that didn't break up outside is Sony daps, and fiio m5. Inside most worked good, but outside like mowing the yard, nope.

So I use little m5 specifically for working out- biking and mowing yard and outside use. It's not the Bluetooth version either because the sonys like nwa 55 have older BT version and are rock solid. So 4.2 if implemented properly should be fine.

That said I never used BT on sr25 but the new one has transmitter and receiver so maybe it might be better. But as long as receiver works I'm good.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #38 of 143
This happens with most daps I use. Hiby r3p hiby r5s they break up outside. Ibasso dx160, dx220 they are horrible and break up very easily. Shanling m3x and M0 break up outside, M0 is better than m3x. Hidiz ap80 and ap80 pro - they break up outside.
Never tried n6ii or lotoo paw 6000. Only daps I've had that didn't break up outside is Sony daps, and fiio m5. Inside most worked good, but outside like mowing the yard, nope.

So I use little m5 specifically for working out- biking and mowing yard and outside use. It's not the Bluetooth version either because the sonys like nwa 55 have older BT version and are rock solid. So 4.2 if implemented properly should be fine.

That said I never used BT on sr25 but the new one has transmitter and receiver so maybe it might be better. But as long as receiver works I'm good.
That's very true. I have yet to find a dap that has as strong of a bluetooth connection as even a very entry level cheapo smartphone. I don't pretend to know anything about how the intricacies of bluetooth implementation, but this is one area where I don't know why Daps seem to have so many more issues than smartphones. My dap journey was Fiio M9, Fiio M11, Fiio M6, Hiby R3 Pro, Sony WM150, and finally the SR25 which I chose to stick with. Interesting enough, I feel like the SR25 was he only one where I experienced near unusable bluetooth with. I was at least able to use the others at the gym with true wireless IEMs, but the SR25 constantly stutters even when I hold the device right next to the headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #39 of 143
That's very true. I have yet to find a dap to has as strong of a bluetooth connection as even a very entry level cheapo smartphone. I don't pretend to anything about how the intricacies of bluetooth implementation, but this is one area where I don't know why Daps seem to have so many more issues than smartphones. My dap journey was Fiio M9, Fiio M11, Fiio M6, Hiby R3 Pro, Sony WM150, and finally the SR25 which I chose to stick with. Interesting enough, I feel like the SR25 was he only one where I experienced near unusable bluetooth with. I was at least able to use the others at the gym with true wireless IEMs, but the SR25 constantly stutters even when I hold the device right next to the headphones.

From what I remember fiio m6 was pretty decent on BT. I don't know anything about BT either, but I know all the Sonys I had nw45- 55- and zx300 all had BT 4.1 and 4.2 and never gave me any problems of disconnection or stuttering. So it has to be something else than an older BT version that's all I was saying.

Plus for me even sr25 is too large and heavy for active use. I never did experience and problems with sr25 wifi connection. Guess I was lucky there.
Oh, and although not a dap the quedilix was a monster on BT connection. That thing had impressive range.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #40 of 143
I am not sure about this one. They messed up the DAC filter on the SP1000(m) and made the sound a lot more bassy. And there still isn't a fix almost 3 months later. My setting app crashes every time when I boot it up too.
Yeah that's true! I've purchased used one 2 weeks ago from official hifi shop to compare it with my iBasso dx300 with the amp12. And the stock setup of the dac filter was warm and bassy. When switched to another filter, the sound became way sharper and brighter. It always switched back automatically when restarted the app. Anyways, i turned it back because the iBasso dx300 had better staging and more balanced sound.

Nov 8, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #41 of 143
Ak sr25 doesn't have any filter settings and sounds very good. I never heard dx300 but I preferred ak sr25 over dx 160 and dx 220. Although they had a little wider stage and more neutral ak sr25 had more depth and a more natural timber.

Dx240 looks nice though and has full Google play. Still might be a bit big for me though.

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #42 of 143
Ak sr25 doesn't have any filter settings and sounds very good. I never heard dx300 but I preferred ak sr25 over dx 160 and dx 220. Although they had a little wider stage and more neutral ak sr25 had more depth and a more natural timber.

Dx240 looks nice though and has full Google play. Still might be a bit big for me though.
Well the dx300, even with stock amp is way above the dx220. But i must agree that the timbre of the AK sp1kM was very nice. But the sound wasnt as open as on the dx300. Not as fresh, airy and reference.

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #43 of 143
Well the dx300, even with stock amp is way above the dx220. But i must agree that the timbre of the AK sp1kM was very nice. But the sound wasnt as open as on the dx300. Not as fresh, airy and reference.

Way above lol. Fresh- airy sounds like a pillow :wink: Hey as long as you like it that's all that matters. Other than dx90 ibasso has been kind of junky for me. Talking about BT wifi and interface speed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but dx220 was just the last generation 'flagship' (hate that term) lol.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #44 of 143
Way above lol. Fresh- airy sounds like a pillow :wink: Hey as long as you like it that's all that matters. Other than dx90 ibasso has been kind of junky for me. Talking about BT wifi and interface speed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but dx220 was just the last generation 'flagship' (hate that term) lol.
Yeah the dx220 was the last gen flagship. But the dx300 took it to a very different level. The interface is as flawless and fast as in middle class smartphone. It's completely new gen of players from iBasso. But it's not iBasso thread:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back