Astell&Kern A&futura SE180 - The First Modular DAP from Astell&Kern
Nov 26, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #286 of 648
Same problem, I already asked Andy but he did not answer, my query is above. So I will contact customer service.
Thank you, I am hoping it is still something minor, I have read the manual and followed instructions, I was hoping it would be straight forward.
Hey! It's sad to hear that. No problem with my DAP. When I asked about the warranty, the shop assistants told me that there is usually no problem with DAP A&K
Thank you

Nov 26, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #287 of 648
As the weekend draws near, your passion for good music grows, your fun is imminent! It is time for one of our special weekend reviews, and today we do a second look at SE180 from Astell&Kern, as we review the SEM2 amplifier module for it~!

They respected the promise to deliver multiple options for their modular DAP, and this one gives SE180 a more detailed sound, an increase in the overall bass, better control, but also some more energy in the treble. If you're planning to get yourself a high-end music player, or if you already have SE180, I hope my review will help you

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/11/astell-kern-sem2-module-se180-dap-improving-dynamics.html

Astell-&-Kern-A&K-Astell&Kern-SE180-SEP2-Amplifier-Module-Modular-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-10.jpg

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #288 of 648
Hello

I finally could make my SE180 work with Roon, I left it on and have to wait for around an hour, until Roon detected it. It sounds very well, and much better than my Poly-Mojo, but it always takes longer to be detected by Roon, although shorter than the first time

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #289 of 648
@ILyaX Can you describe SQ se200 and se180? which one do you think is better? only the sound quality interests. Thanks. .
my dap will arrive in a couple of days. I also listening apple music. I check your story with the Beagle Kick's Miracle album

Sure!

Having at home both se200 and se180 I made a blind listening with a generous help of my beautiful wife. We tested se200 AKM side (4499) vs se180 sem 2 module (2 akm 4497 dacs), volume matched, with Fir Audio M5 iems as transducer and 2,5 balanced Nobunaga cable. The test track was Thomas Bergersen's Apollo from Humanity IV album.
Nothing strictly scientific, the aim was to better understand how I hear differences (if any) and summarize my impressions, to do so I took notes during listening and wrote done my guesses on device playing.
10 tries took around 40 minutes. I obviously didn't see what device was playing at moment and each time earphones were re-plugged.
So, to my surprise, I guessed right 10 times of 10, two times wifey turned on the same player in a row.
So here are my impressions:
Se180 Sem 2 (compared to se200's akm output) gave me more spacious virtual scene, with better instruments separation, and overall more refined soundscape. It was also very apparent that se180 had more dynamics, which led to more emotional performance.
It sounded more natural and effortless, with deeper and more detailed bass. It was easier to focus on particular instruments on the busy orchestrated parts of the test track.
The background noise was literally absent, it was dead silent (and se200 is no slouch in that department already, being one of the quietest players I ever heard).
I'd say that se180 with sem2 has less coloration with better technicalities.
That's matched my first impression in a shop when I heard it for the first time. For me se180 soundwise is hands down better (than se200 and a whole lot of other DAPs).

So the other day I made a blind listening se180 with SEM1 VS Chord Hugo 2, but that's a story for the next post :)

As always, little bragging: won't it be great to have HIGH / LOW Gain button in the Notification bar? Just imagine...

20211120_005023.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #290 of 648
Sure!

Having at home both se200 and se180 I made a blind listening with a generous help of my beautiful wife. We tested se200 AKM side (4499) vs se180 sem 2 module (2 akm 4497 dacs), volume matched, with Fir Audio M5 iems as transducer and 2,5 balanced Nobunaga cable. The test track was Thomas Bergersen's Apollo from Humanity IV album.
Nothing strictly scientific, the aim was to better understand how I hear differences (if any) and summarize my impressions, to do so I took notes during listening and wrote done my guesses on device playing.
10 tries took around 40 minutes. I obviously didn't see what device was playing at moment and each time earphones were re-plugged.
So, to my surprise, I guessed right 10 times of 10, two times wifey turned on the same player in a row.
So here are my impressions:
Se180 Sem 2 (compared to se200's akm output) gave me more spacious virtual scene, with better instruments separation, and overall more refined soundscape. It was also very apparent that se180 had more dynamics, which led to more emotional performance.
It sounded more natural and effortless, with deeper and more detailed bass. It was easier to focus on particular instruments on the busy orchestrated parts of the test track.
The background noise was literally absent, it was dead silent (and se200 is no slouch in that department already, being one of the quietest players I ever heard).
I'd say that se180 with sem2 has less coloration with better technicalities.
That's matched my first impression in a shop when I heard it for the first time. For me se180 soundwise is hands down better (than se200 and a whole lot of other DAPs).

So the other day I made a blind listening se180 with SEM1 VS Chord Hugo 2, but that's a story for the next post :)

As always, little bragging: won't it be great to have HIGH / LOW Gain button in the Notification bar? Just imagine...

Hmm interesting impressions… they seem to be the polar opposite of the impressions shared here comparing the SEM2 module and the SE200 …
https://theheadphonelist.com/astell-kern-se180-review-big-brash-beautiful/3/?amp=1

Nov 30, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #291 of 648
Hello

How do I change the modules?

Dec 1, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #293 of 648
Dec 4, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #295 of 648
That's how I heard it in the blind test and I stick to that.

SE180 is a hidden gem not only in AK line-up but in current high to summit fi daps right now.
I’ve relied on Ryan’s impressions before when making purchase decisions and they’ve matched my impressions almost identically… I think I’ll stick with the SE200.

Dec 4, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #300 of 648
Thank you yes, I fully intend to get all the modules as time passes, despite the cost I feel it is worth it.
I can only speak from a perspective of an owner of SEM1 and SEM2, at least for now. But yeah, I think it's worth it. I've sold my Fiio M11 Plus LTD and don’t regret it at all. As for now, with those modules and the significant changes that come with both sq and sound sig, I found the SE180 to be perfectly capable DAP. I don't have a reason to own two or three DAPs now, with the exception of some bt DAC/AMPs or dongles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back