Astell&Kern A&futura SE180 - The First Modular DAP from Astell&Kern
Oct 22, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #256 of 649
So the SE200 and S7 mixed well? Is that what you're saying? I love the over ear Z1R, looking for a good solution that could bring the most out of them.
Yeah, actually I'm using SONY Z7 plus SE200 AKM Side with silver plated copper cable from Portento (Incanto) really intoxicating for the brutal stuff like all kind of Metal Music but it also works great with Jazz/Wave/Pop/Rock (but for this Genres I prefer the more resolving stationary combos without beeing on the move in the apartment) don't know with classic.

The Z1R works better with desktop amp.
Maybe Kann Alpha or other brand should be a choice because of more driving Power...

Oct 22, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #257 of 649
Yeah, actually I'm using SONY Z7 plus SE200 AKM Side with silver plated copper cable from Portento (Incanto) really intoxicating for the brutal stuff like all kind of Metal Music but it also works great with Jazz/Wave/Pop/Rock (but for this Genres I prefer the more resolving stationary combos without beeing on the move in the apartment) don't know with classic.

The Z1R works better with desktop amp.
Maybe Kann Alpha or other brand should be a choice because of more driving Power...
Got it, currently I have the ZR1 connected to my Schiit Asgard 3 + AKM Dac, and the synergy leaves a lot to be desired.

Oct 29, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #258 of 649
Hi there @JasonNYC,

Apologies if I get any info in my question wrong but been looking into getting the SE180.

Seen online that the andriod app for phones are limited to just the intial MQA unfold/24/96, will this be the same for the sideloaded Tidal app? Or is it the full MQA unfold/24/192?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #259 of 649
Hi there,

Apologies if I get any info in my question wrong but been looking into getting the SE180.

Seen online that the andriod app for phones are limited to just the intial MQA unfold/24/96, will this be the same for the sideloaded Tidal app? Or is it the full MQA unfold/24/192?
Both the embedded Tidal app and Tidal Android App will do the full MQA unfold.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 4, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #260 of 649
Hello @JasonNYC

The se180 arrived with a 50% battery, I used it normally until I reached 32%, with that I proceeded to charge it. It was 3 hours and kept scoring 32%.
I did the following:
- Finish the battery until it turned off (it was like 8 hours walking, therefore the battery is good, but not the charge counter on the screen).
- Charge the battery for about 8 hours.
- When locking him he kept marking 32%.
- Factory reset. He was still with the counter at 32%.
The battery is good, it lasts as long as necessary. Any solution? I do not want to send the technical service for this detail, since it would be 3 months or more without the player.
Thank you!

Nov 4, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #261 of 649
Hello @JasonNYC

The se180 arrived with a 50% battery, I used it normally until I reached 32%, with that I proceeded to charge it. It was 3 hours and kept scoring 32%.
I did the following:
- Finish the battery until it turned off (it was like 8 hours walking, therefore the battery is good, but not the charge counter on the screen).
- Charge the battery for about 8 hours.
- When locking him he kept marking 32%.
- Factory reset. He was still with the counter at 32%.
The battery is good, it lasts as long as necessary. Any solution? I do not want to send the technical service for this detail, since it would be 3 months or more without the player.
Thank you!
Is the firmware upto date?

Nov 7, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #263 of 649
Question to the round .. I briefly evaluated a Kann Alpha .. I loved the sound of it, but was completely demotivated by all the issues with Wi-Fi disconnecting while streaming from Tidal and Qobuz. And using the Kann Alpha with a pair of Bluetooth headphones only seemed to make those disconnect matters worse...

So what are your experiences with the SE180 (in the context of my use case)? Does the SE180 exhibit the same behavior or is it more reliable in those (wireless streaming) scenarios?

Nov 7, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #264 of 649
Question to the round .. I briefly evaluated a Kann Alpha .. I loved the sound of it, but was completely demotivated by all the issues with Wi-Fi disconnecting while streaming from Tidal and Qobuz. And using the Kann Alpha with a pair of Bluetooth headphones only seemed to make those disconnect matters worse...

So what are your experiences with the SE180 (in the context of my use case)? Does the SE180 exhibit the same behavior or is it more reliable in those (wireless streaming) scenarios?
The SE180 replicates your exact issue with the Kann Alpha; it disconnects from WiFi while streaming in between tracks, claiming it lost connection. You hit the X and it goes away. Sounds like all of Astell and Kern's products suffer from poor software... crazy how they get away with that.

I will say it's sounds great though.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #265 of 649
JasonNYC. I am considering se180 for purchase. I have a question about modules. R2R and nutube korg modules were waiting for you. did you do 4 × ess in sem3? your motives? is it better than sem1 based on the flagship 9038pro? what is he for?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #266 of 649
JasonNYC. I am considering se180 for purchase. I have a question about modules. R2R and nutube korg modules were waiting for you. did you do 4 × ess in sem3? your motives? is it better than sem1 based on the flagship 9038pro? what is he for?
I highly doubt A&K will release nutube module, it doesn't look to me the modules itself have enough space even for a micro tube.

And 4 ess9038q2m will offer other sound signature (not better, but other) and beside that my guess is extended playtime.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #267 of 649
I highly doubt A&K will release nutube module, it doesn't look to me the modules itself has enough space even for a micro tube.

And 4 ess9038q2m will offer other sound signature (not better, but other) and beside that my guess is extended playtime.
There wouldn't be anywhere near enough space for DAC chip, nutube etc

Nov 17, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #268 of 649
I highly doubt A&K will release nutube module, it doesn't look to me the modules itself have enough space even for a micro tube.

Ok. But it will still be an ESS sound signature. It would be more logical then to release the module on CS43198. About nutube - I agree, there is not enough space. (it doesn't bother me much, there are Oriolus BA300S). Waiting for R-2R in SEM4?!, (Cayin did it with the R01 module for the N6 mkII)

Nov 20, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #270 of 649
Ok. But it will still be an ESS sound signature. It would be more logical then to release the module on CS43198. About nutube - I agree, there is not enough space. (it doesn't bother me much, there are Oriolus BA300S). Waiting for R-2R in SEM4?!, (Cayin did it with the R01 module for the N6 mkII)
Ok, I checked US AK site and it states play time for sem3 module to be 13 hours. Which is a good feature for me at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back