Assymetric opamps and a way of hearing
Mar 13, 2004 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

bobjew

100+ Head-Fier
This week was busy for me so I only had a chance to do a most basic opamp roll to the XP-7. Using the same ad825 and ad 797, I explored the differences between using one or the other in the left and right channels. Are there differences and how do you make a determination as to which one goes into which channel.

Cutting to the chase, yes, it does make a difference. When I had the brighter cooler and more foward sounding 825 in the right channel the amp sounded more tilted towards that. When I reversed the opamps, it all got warmer and less trebly.

What can account for this difference? I know from my experience rolling tubes for my MPX3 that my hearing itself is not symmetrical. I don't hear identically left and right. Hearing in my right ear is more sensitive to high frequencies than the left, my left ear seems more sensitive to midrange and bass. This may be the best reason for some assymetry in a system, because I am willing to bet very few of us have two ears that have identical sound response.

Getting back to l/r opamp rolling. So from what I am able to tell-putting a brighter opamp in the left channel position actually makes the overall sound warmer with an effect of a dropping treble, mainly because I'm am less able to hear treble with the left ear.
Putting it back into the right creates a stronger treble response and a brighter overall sound.

Next week:
Ordering a pair of 8610 and 8065, burning in and mixing and matching with the 825 and 797-Fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back