Associating Quality with Loudness?
Feb 17, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #16 of 40
I literally don't know anyone who cranks it up so that other people can hear it.. And i have a few mates who are in the 'hip-hop' crew

Pretty sure if they're half decent people they just like their music loud
Let's face it, most of the time loud music played loud is more fun

My policy is to listen at average volume or less then crank it up a notch for some songs

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I hear it all the time.

A couple days ago on the way to work, a woman pulled up next to me with music blaring. Bass slop, distortion, the whole thing. So I rolled down my windows and cranked "Morning Edition" until the cones could barely take it. She shot me a dirty look, and I just smiled and waved. She must have thought NPR was too liberal or something.

oh god, i thought i was the only one that does this- except i use classical music. when i hear the huge Ford pickup pulling up next to me blaring ZZ Top at me, i crank up beethoven's 5th and headbang in unison.

either that or The Roots- two 12" subs can take a lot of punishment.

edit: oh, i forgot about EARBUDS. all of my friends just crank up their damn earbuds so loud... there's this one girl, whenever i try to share my ipod with her i end up getting blasted in the face. i told her to turn it down and she was like "no i hate my ears" or something like that... new-age emo?

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #18 of 40
It's a typical male thing that concentrates in younger ages. You fight hard to achieve the appearance of maleness and coolness, nevertheless you always have doubts. Loud booom booom music helps as well as a carefully rehearsed Bruce Willis "I've did it all" face expression.
tongue.gif

I was the same in the 80s... worst of all...
cool.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #20 of 40
The majority of the students at my high school with iPods/Walkmans/PCDPs/et cetera blast their music so loud that I can easily hear (and occasionally identify) what they're listening to in the hallways.

I can't decide whether they're trying to combat ambient noise due to the open design of their headphones or trying to just blatantly show off what they're listening to and look cool as a result (they just end up annoying me personally).

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #22 of 40
I'm a basshead and I don't agree.

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #24 of 40
I admit it, I'm a slight bass head. I love my Darth Beyers and crank them too loud at times(around 90 dB.)-but for only 1 or 2 songs usually.

I have a cheesy truck system that sounds decent to me. I've tweaked the parametric EQ on my mono amp to make the 2- 10" drivers(in a sealed enclosure) sound as close as possible to my HGS 10 home sub.

I use my SPL meter in my truck also because I can get a little crazy so I need to check it. For me the bass must be fairly tight and extend easily to below 30 Hz. to sound good. For this nicely tuned bass slam to gel with the mids and highs they too must be fairly loud...I try to never exceed 100 dB. peaks...I also look at how much my rear-view mirror is shaking as a crude guage.
icon10.gif

[size=xx-large]([/size][size=x-large]([/size][size=large]([/size][size=medium]([/size][size=small]([/size]
basshead.gif
[size=small])[/size][size=medium])[/size][size=large])[/size][size=x-large])[/size][size=xx-large])[/size]

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #25 of 40
I like bass to an extent but there is a huge difference between Loud Boomy Bass and Loud Tight Controlled Bass. I like the latter of the two.

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... there's this one girl, whenever i try to share my ipod with her i end up getting blasted in the face. i told her to turn it down and she was like "no i hate my ears" or something like that... new-age emo?

I spat coffee all over the screen! (ROFL LOL etc)

Loudness is all about [size=large]IMPACT!!![/size]

Music sounds more involving when it HITS you. That's also the reason about the current obsession with bass, more bass=more punch.

I wish I could put this into my signature:

[size=xx-large]([/size][size=x-large]([/size][size=large]([/size][size=medium]([/size][size=small]([/size]
basshead.gif
[size=small])[/size][size=medium])[/size][size=large])[/size][size=x-large])[/size][size=xx-large])[/size]

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #27 of 40
Guys, my argument is getting skewed. I don't like the people that blare their crappy system when it has bloated bass. My argument was not about them blaring the music, it is about them blaring crappy music.

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #28 of 40
I remember this one guy at my high school who turned up the volume on his car to probably the max and the bass was seriously thumping. While it was distorted and really really flabby, I could feel the bass from inside the school building and he was outside in the parking lot. It was insane.

Feb 18, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #29 of 40
basshead.gif
that is one of the coolest things ever!!!

back to the topic, loudness seems to equal quality because you can hear more details if its louder. Good headphones/speakers dont need it to be loud to hear the details

Feb 18, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
car audio gets a bad rap form teen punks... Used to drive me nuts. you can have a clean sounding system that also gets plenty loud... for not a lot of dough if you pick gear wisely.

please... please don't lump all car audio fanatics into that kind of category some of us really are into good sound quality first/foremost.

I was wondering how to get a better audio system, but its hard to find trusted sources of people looking for a clean sound instead of just loud. Sounds like you have experience, do you know of any sites or forums I could check out? Just shoot me a PM or if you could give me personal consulation that would be even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back