Assistance with my K702 music production setup
May 25, 2014 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kinetikx

New Head-Fier
So a while ago I decided to get more serious about my (very) amateur electronic music production.  I started this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/646398/akg-k702s-and-focusrite-2i4 for advice which should give some background and info if needed. I'll post my setup here though.

Win7 64 bit machine running mostly Reason for production 
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface acting as DAC
JDS Labs O2 headphone amp
AKG K702's

This setup seemed amazing while making songs. The soundstage was all it was advertised to be, I tried to account for the lean sounding low end by not overemphasizing low frequencies. So I worked on some songs and then my inspiration faded and I only just recently came back to it.  Finished a song the other day and started mixing and mastering.  The problem lies in when I test the songs out on any other setup besides the laptop. It sounds like there is a veil over what seems nice and bright in the songs. It's almost like I EQ'd out all high frequencies. I've tried it multiple places and the effect is always there.  In my car, the home theater, through my phone with a set of  AX-35 IEM's amped with a Fiio E11. So apparently the K702's are just WAAAY too bright. And I knew they were supposed to be a bit brighter than others in their category, but this is a dealbreaker. It's about as inaccurate as I can imagine for trying to make music. 

So then I plugged in my very decent (and should be for the price) Sennheiser PC363D  gaming headset plugged in through the above setup. These sounded veiled just like everything else besides the K702's.  So I mixed with the Senn's and played the song on other sources and it was much more accurate. Very close to what was coming through the headphones. The problem with this is that the soundstage sucks on these in comparison with the 702's. Everything just gets kinda muddled together, relative to the 702's of course.

So my question is what's keeping me from being able to correctly use these, by most accounts, very good cans for music production?  Is my amp just not doing the job? 

And yes, I should be using real studio monitors but generally I'm working on this stuff late at night and my two roommates would probably murder me if I tried that. :)

May 25, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 5
Why not just keep using the PC363D for music production and use the K702 for "non-music production" listening.

May 25, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 5
That's definitely an idea I've already had, and one I may end up using. Or I may just sell the K702's.  But at this point I'd like to figure out what is clearly wrong with the setup I'm using.  Since the K702's are well regarded for the purposes I'm using them for I'd like to give them a fair chance.  That being said, if the solution is to step up to a ridiculous (for my meager purposes anyway) amp, DAC or combination of the two then I'll have to reconsider my priorities. I'm willing to upgrade to a point but if that means upgrading to some $1000+ amp then I may be in over my head.

One thought that just came to mind actually is that I could use a resistance adapter, but that seems like a bit of a hack-job

May 25, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 5
  That's definitely an idea I've already had, and one I may end up using. Or I may just sell the K702's.  But at this point I'd like to figure out what is clearly wrong with the setup I'm using.  Since the K702's are well regarded for the purposes I'm using them for I'd like to give them a fair chance.  That being said, if the solution is to step up to a ridiculous (for my meager purposes anyway) amp, DAC or combination of the two then I'll have to reconsider my priorities. I'm willing to upgrade to a point but if that means upgrading to some $1000+ amp then I may be in over my head.

One thought that just came to mind actually is that I could use a resistance adapter, but that seems like a bit of a hack-job

Try reading up and asking on this thread about any amping (or other) K702 questions.

May 25, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 5
It seems to me like you are just overcompensating for the upper mids/treble which are a bit forward from neutral on the K702.

Try mixing the same song with both headphones independently, and compare your settings with each. It might help you get a better idea where the big difference is. From there you can adjust how you work, or buy a new pair of headphones that better match your ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back