Assistance with a capacitor output mod for my CD Player...
Nov 2, 2006 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

I would like to modify the output circuitry of my Eastsound CD-E5 Signature Edition as I will be recieving my new balanced tube amp from McAlister Audio this weekend. I spoke with Peter at McAlister Audio and he told me that the amp has an input impedance of 25K. When I asked him about a capacitive output mod for my source, he suggested that I use 4 2.2uF polypropylene caps from the DAC chip to the balanced ouputs. Does this seem like a good value? Any way to calculate the ideal capacitance I should use?

Unless this sounds incredible on its own, I will likely look at installing a ZapFilter or some other balanced output stage in the future. I will also be trying out the stock balanced outputs [NE5534 after the discrete unbalanced output stage] and the RCA outputs using the tube based phase splitter that Peter is putting in the amp. If I find that one of them is preferable to the capacitor output it should be easy to put things back the way they were.

Thanks in advance,

Jason
340smile.gif

Nov 2, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 2
Assuming everything inside the cdplayer stays equal the formula is simple.

Fc = 1/(2*pi*R*C). where Fc is the -3dB point of the high pass filter. Try to keep it below 10hz.

Most likely though there will be components on the output after the capacitor. If this is the case you will want to take that into account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back