Assembly of the QRV07 headphone amplifier
Jan 11, 2011 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

renlute

100+ Head-Fier
I'm finishing assembly of a Sjostrom Audio QRV07, but got stuck.

http://sjostromaudio.com/pages/hifi-projects/36-hifi-projects/93-qrv07-headphone-amp?start=4

Build instructions stop at the completed PCB. There's no description of chassis jacks, pot attachments, etc, so this novice is floundering. The designer responded cryptically to my questions about where all the connections are supposed to go.

http://sjostromaudio.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=32

I think I see how the input wires should be routed to the input (which is marked L, Gnd, R etc) -- but do I need two- or three-lug input jacks? I'm guessing two two-lug jacks for channels L and R, correct? Jacks were not specified in the BOM.

Output wire connections are similarly marked on the board, and I get that they'll connect at the other end to my headphone output jack.

But I don't understand a few fundamental things:

1) what kind of output jack do I need? I have a generic chassis jack with 3 lugs, but I think I see six on the photo below. Builder of that unit is Australian, and I'm in the USA, if that makes a difference.

2) Where does the pot fit in the signal stream? It logically has to fit between origination of output signal and the headphone connection, but where?  Where exactly do which wires go? My pot is a PEC stereo potentiometer with six lugs.

3) There's a nearly complete QRV07 depicted online, but I can't tell how the builder routed wires into the pot, or how she routed them out of the pot (which I think is an Alps Blue Velvet) or where to.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzy_j/2315700191/

On the PCB, the 3-wire Wago connector in the middle is output, the 5-wire connector at right is input. You probably knew that, to me this is all as easy as advanced calculus.

4) I see two twisted trios heading into the headphone output jack, it seems. No comprendo which individual wires go where.

I have full schematics, which the designer probably -- falsely -- assumes I can read. I do know how to post one or another if necessary.

Grateful for any tips.

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 3
Depending on what kind of input jack you want to use, 3.5mm or RCA, but they are wired the same. RCA has common ground.

What headphones will you use? That'd decide the output jack. 3.5mm or 6.3mm, your own choice.

The pot is right after the input. Input -> Pot -> Amp -> Output (headphone jack).

If you look more carefully, one of the two trios comes from the input, then to the pot. The other is from the amp to the output (headphones jack). Not both of them to the headphone jack.

The 5-wire connector should be the input. The wires from the pot will come into it.

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #3 of 3
Did you read the links I gave you?
Re: Power supply for QRV07

The output jack Suzy has used has switches so when you insert the plug you will also break signals to something else and this could be a loudspeaker for instance. Suzy's jack has three inputs and three outputs which she doesn't use.

The phone plug link tells you how to connect. The tip is left, middle right and the inner connection is ground.

The pot is in front of the amp, which you can see in Suzy's picture and in Elliott's page.
Have you identified all pins on the pot?

If something unclear in the schematics, please do ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back