assembling solderless rca plugs
May 16, 2006 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cantsleep

Headphoneus Supremus
i just purchased a few canare rcap c53 from a fellow head-fier and... i am lost... how do i assemble these?

i have 3 pieces; a pin, a insulating tube(i think), and of course the plug.

May 16, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jl123
Think you need the crimp tool that crimps the center pin and connector body onto the cable.

He doesn't want to hear that, they are really expensive
evil_smiley.gif

I've heard they can be soldered but I have never played with them myself. I think if you solder the inner consuctor to the inside of the pin, it is more or less like crimping them and they snap into the connector? Then you have to deal with the braid. That's my recollection; hopefully someone here has actually done this.

May 17, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

He doesn't want to hear that, they are really expensive
evil_smiley.gif

He's going to hear it. It's a crimp connector...

There's no subsitute for the proper tool when it comes to these type of connectors. Solder connectors are the way to go if you want something cheap. Trying to crimp that connector with anything else but the right die is just going to be a waste imo.

May 17, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 9
Wow, with a crimp die it seems like you could whip up a pair of RCA interconnects in all of 30 seconds.
icon10.gif

May 17, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 9
Yep, if you own a cutter and die set, it's nicer (IMO) than building cables by soldering.

The neck crimping could be done with standard coax crimper tools, if they are the right size. The LV-77S I used is the same diameter as RG-6, IIRC. While the pin could probably be crimped with something else, the Canare die set does a square crimp on the pin which definitely holds tight. I bought a bunch of LV-77S and connectors a while ago, and got the Canare cutter and die set at the same time. Since I've made more than a dozen cables with it, I think it has paid for itself.

If you do any other DIY work, a crimp frame (the mechanism that holds the die set and does the actual crimping) is useful for network or telephone cables too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back