asrock audiophile mobos
Dec 31, 2014 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

optimumoptimo

New Head-Fier
has anyone tried these they say they have 600 ohm amp and audiophile quality sound
personally i  bought a asrock z97 extreme 6 mobo and started using my sennheiser hd 598's with it and it sounds pretty damn amazing much more then i would have expected from on board audio has anyone else tried one of these?

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 14
  has anyone tried these they say they have 600 ohm amp and audiophile quality sound
personally i  bought a asrock z97 extreme 6 mobo and started using my sennheiser hd 598's with it and it sounds pretty damn amazing much more then i would have expected from on board audio has anyone else tried one of these?

It's a (Realtek ALC1150 Audio Codec), Supports Purity Sound™ 2 & DTS Connect.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=328

ALC1150
fsize.gif
fsize1of.gif
fsize2of.gif
fsize3of.gif
fsize4of.gif
infotable.jpg
7.1+2 Channel HD Audio Codec with Content Protection

General Description
The ALC1150 is a high-performance multi-channel High Definition Audio Codec with Realtek proprietary lossless content protection technology that protects pre-recorded content while still allowing full-rate audio enjoyment from DVD audio, Blu-ray DVD, or HD DVD discs.

The ALC1150 provides ten DAC channels that simultaneously support 7.1-channel sound playback, plus 2 channels of independent stereo sound output (multiple streaming) through the front panel stereo outputs. Two stereo ADCs are integrated and can support a microphone array with Acoustic Echo Cancellation (AEC), Beam Forming (BF), and Noise Suppression (NS) technologies. The ALC1150 incorporates Realtek proprietary converter technology to achieve Front differential output 115dB Signal-to-Noise ratio (SNR) playback (DAC) quality and 104dB SNR recording (ADC) quality, and is designed for Windows Vista premium desktop and laptop systems.

All analog I/O are input and output capable, and headphone amplifiers are also integrated at three analog output ports (port-D/port-E/port-F). All analog I/Os can be re-tasked according to user definitions.

Support for 16/20/24-bit SPDIF and I2S (Master mode) output with up to 192kHz sample rate offers easy connection of PCs to consumer electronic products such as digital decoders and speakers. The ALC1150 also features secondary SPDIF-OUT output and converter to transport digital audio output to a High Definition Media Interface (HDMI) transmitter.

The ALC1150 supports host audio from the Intel chipsets, and also from any other HDA compatible audio controller. With various software utilities like environment sound emulation, multiple-band and independent software equalizer, dynamic range compressor and expander, optional Dolby PCEE program, SRS TruSurround HD, SRS Premium Sound, Fortemedia SAM, Creative Host Audio, Synopsys Sonic Focus, DTS Surround Sensation | UltraPC, and DTS Connect licenses, the ALC1150 offers the highest sound quality, providing an excellent entertainment package and game experience for PC users.

Features
  1. Hardware Features
  2. Front-DAC with 115/110dB SNR (A-weighting, Differential/Single-End Output), ADC09h with 104dB SNR (A-weighting)
  3. DACs (except Front-DAC) with 96dB SNR (A-weighting), ADC08h with 93dB SNR (A-weighting)
  4. Ten DAC channels support 16/20/24-bit PCM format for 7.1 channel sound playback, plus 2 channels of concurrent independent stereo sound output (multiple streaming) through the front panel output
  5. Two stereo ADCs support 16/20/24-bit PCM format, multiple stereo recording
  6. All DACs supports 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rate
  7. All ADCs supports 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rate
  8. Primary 16/20/24-bit SPDIF-OUT supports 32k/44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/192kHz sample rate
  9. Secondary 16/20/24-bit SPDIF-OUT supports 32k/44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/192kHz sample rate
  10. I2S-OUT supports 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rate up to 24bits and master mode only.
  11. All analog jacks (port-A to port-H) are stereo input and output re-tasking
  12. Port-D/E/F built-in headphone amplifiers
  13. Port-B/C/E/F with software selectable boost gain (+10/+20/+30dB) for analog microphone input
  14. Software selectable 2.3V/3.0V/3.8V VREFOUT
  15. Up to four channels of microphone array input are supported for AEC/BF applications
  16. Three jack detection pins; each designed to detect up to 4 jacks
  17. Supports legacy analog mixer architecture
  18. Up to two GPIOs (General Purpose Input and Output) for customized applications. GPIO0 and GPIO1 share pin with SPDIF-OUT2 and I2S-SDO
  19. Supports anti-pop mode when analog power LDO-IN is on and digital power is off
  20. Content Protection for Full Rate lossless DVD Audio, Blu-ray DVD, and HD-DVD audio content playback (with selected versions of WinDVD/PowerDVD/TMT)
  21. 0.75dB per step output volume and input volume control
  22. Supports 3.3V digital core power, 1.5V or 3.3V digital I/O power for HD Audio link, and 5.0V analog power
  23. Intel low power ECR compliant and power status control for each analog/digital converter and pin widget
  24. Built-in analog LDO
  25. 48-pin QFN ‘Green’ package
  1. Software Features
  2. Meets Microsoft WLP 3.x and future WLP audio requirements
  3. WaveRT-based audio function driver for Windows Vista and Windows 7
  4. Direct Sound 3D™ compatible
  5. I3DL2 compatible
  6. 7.1+2 channel multi-streaming enables concurrent gaming/VoIP
  7. Emulation of 26 sound environments to enhance gaming experience
  8. Multiband software equalizer and tools provided
  9. Voice Cancellation and Key Shifting effect
  10. Dynamic range control (expander, compressor, and limiter) with adjustable parameters
  11. Intuitive Configuration Panel (Realtek Audio Manager) to enhance user experience
  12. Microphone Acoustic Echo Cancellation (AEC), Noise Suppression (NS), and Beam Forming (BF) technology for voice applications
  13. Smart multiple streaming operation
  14. HDMI audio driver for AMD platform
  15. Optional Dolby PCEE program, SRS TruSurround HD, SRS Premium Sound, Fortemedia SAM, Creative Host Audio, Synopsys Sonic Focus, DTS Surround Sensation | UltraPC, and DTS Connect licenses

So a better question would be, anyone else own this chipset in their board and utilized yet?

Manufacturers are loading their boards with much better technology nowadays its pretty crazy.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 14

Yes, I have it in my Asrock Z87 board and it drives my sennheiser hd 580's fine and also my A900X. I was shocked by how good it is. You have to use the front HD case jack and not the rear.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 14
Onboard audio in general is better than people give it credit these days. If it's got enough power to drive the headphones, the chipset itself will sound fine. The biggest obstacle is keeping out interference from the rest of the components, if the computer's particularly noisy a shielded soundcard or external solution will be beneficial.

I was going to get the Extreme 6 for my new computer (the color scheme is so pretty!) but I mused over it for too long and Newegg sold out seconds before I pulled the trigger. The Gigabyte board I got instead also has the ALC1150 chipset, it's even supposed to have the circuitry isolated from the rest of the mobo to cut down on interference. I can't say I've tried it or have much reason to, but I'm sure it sounds good.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 14
  Onboard audio in general is better than people give it credit these days. If it's got enough power to drive the headphones, the chipset itself will sound fine. The biggest obstacle is keeping out interference from the rest of the components, if the computer's particularly noisy a shielded soundcard or external solution will be beneficial.

I was going to get the Extreme 6 for my new computer (the color scheme is so pretty!) but I mused over it for too long and Newegg sold out seconds before I pulled the trigger. The Gigabyte board I got instead also has the ALC1150 chipset, it's even supposed to have the circuitry isolated from the rest of the mobo to cut down on interference. I can't say I've tried it or have much reason to, but I'm sure it sounds good.

Very true, I have no noise or interference and my Antec case has nicely shielded HD cable to the front HD Jack which is important also. HD tracks Flacs sound great on this. The AS Rock also is isolated. I was truly surprised how good it is.

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 14
  Yes, I have it in my Asrock Z87 board and it drives my sennheiser hd 580's fine and also my A900X. I was shocked by how good it is. You have to use the front HD case jack and not the rear.

Thanks for the info. I asked around before if the high power output is for both or just the rear (which will be a bummer), but apparently these boards now have a good headphone amp feeding the front and presumably a better line out at the rear.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 14

Hello,

I also have an ASRock Z87 board. I was wondering, why is this? Do you know the reason?
I've been looking online for a while but cannot find a complete answer on why it only drives headphones better through the case jack.

Apart from that, is there any issue in just connecting headphones in the motherboard speaker output connector?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 14

I also have an ASRock Z87 board. I was wondering, why is this? Do you know the reason?
I've been looking online for a while but cannot find a complete answer on why it only drives headphones better through the case jack.

Likely because somehow they didn't wire up the chips on the headphone amp output stage to the rear jack. it can happen. Sometimes the reverse can be true.

Apart from that, is there any issue in just connecting headphones in the motherboard speaker output connector?

It's a line output, kind of like connecting a headphone to a DAC without a headphone amp. You get enough voltage to get loud but not anything else that an amp can do, much less current delivery. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #11 of 14

Likely because somehow they didn't wire up the chips on the headphone amp output stage to the rear jack. it can happen. Sometimes the reverse can be true.

It's a line output, kind of like connecting a headphone to a DAC without a headphone amp. You get enough voltage to get loud but not anything else that an amp can do, much less current delivery. 

Thanks for your answer. I've been comparing both outputs now, and yes, I can notice a better sound from the headphone port.
I'm about to switch to a case that has no HD audio cable, so no front audio. Do you know of any HD Audio cable that outputs only to a 3.5mm adapter I could leave hanging out a hole in the case to connect the headphones?

Thanks!

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #12 of 14

Thanks for your answer. I've been comparing both outputs now, and yes, I can notice a better sound from the headphone port.
I'm about to switch to a case that has no HD audio cable, so no front audio. Do you know of any HD Audio cable that outputs only to a 3.5mm adapter I could leave hanging out a hole in the case to connect the headphones?

Thanks!

You could yank out the 3.5mm sockets and HD Audio cable assembly from an old case, wrap it in electrical tape, and stick it out of one of the expansion slots in the rear of the chassis.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #14 of 14
I do not have that specific MB but I just bought a new computer that has an ASRock Motherboard and I have to say, and I am not sure why, but the audio I am getting seems to be much cleaner than on my old system. A very significant improvement. Now after reading this post I am seriously considering upgrading my other computer with an ASRock motherboard and I will specifically look for the chipset mentioned so as to get the newest and best audio performance possible. Might as well it probably doesn't add that much to the cost of the build overall and I want the best audio I can get for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back