aspiring audiophile seeking new buds
Feb 11, 2009 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kibble Fat

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I guess I should start out by saying that I need new buds out of necessity as my current ones ar falling apart. I'm looking for something under 100, preferably under 50 if something has high bang-for-the-buck, you know..

Well, I'll tell you what I've owned. I started with an refurb'ed iriver T30 with Sony MDR EX51's. I just wanted comfortable earbuds (they simply sounded like headphones to me, but what did I know?). Next I got Creative ep-630 for like $20. I immediately noticed the lack of bass I had before, but I was surprised by how much more I could hear in the music. Then I got a 6G classic ipod from my gf because she's awesome with which I'm using the 630's.

Now, as nice as ipods are for space and just an overall solid product, I can't help but notice I enjoy the sound of my iriver more. No useable preset or user-adjustable EQ's on the ipod was VERY (read extremely!!!) disappointing. With the iriver, I used the live or metal EQs, so I like a more live sound (with the bass raised and kind of even with a ramped up treble section, nothing I would call silly). I listen to mostly metal and progressive rock variants with a little of everything thrown in except rap.

I would like to make my ipod sound decent. I'm wondering if any buds would give me a more live sound without a "rap-enthusiast" bass sound - something with bass in between the sonys and creatives, but with better definition than both (if possible).

thanks,
Eric

PS: Can be IEMs aaaand this might be too much information
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 4
In the price range of $50 or less, the NE-7 is a great IEM, and the PK3 is a great earbud. There is a very recent thread comparing the 2. Only possible issue is the NE-7 has a mic, so the plug has some compatibility issues.

Both have good bass and detail. If you can stretch closer to $150, the Phonak Audeo PFE is a huge step up, with much more detail while keeping very good bass response.

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the input! I've been browsing for and stumbled on the Soundmagic PL-30's with mostly good reviews, but against the NE-7s, they come up short. At this point I'll prolly go with the NE-7's. Are there others I should consider? $50 sounds about right

Also, are there sites other than www.headhoneinfo.com that give frequency response plots or is that the best? They don't have many reviews which is understandable..

E

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 4
At $50, the NE-7M is hard to beat. Great clean sound, good isolation, sturdy build, non-sticky cable, several sets of tips to get a good seal, leather pouch to carry them. Most important, tho, is the sound quality -- good bass, clean highs and nice accurate mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back